Gourami's

Tanked

Fish Herder
Reaction score
what is a good resources for gourami's? all the different types, how big they get, water preferences. etc. I think I am going to get 3 or 4 powder blue gouramis to go in my new tank with 2 angels and the 2 sharks and pleco that I already have

I have three of them.............what do you want to know? Not that I'm ALL MIGHTY in the gourami knowledge, but I do know a little! :*)

Gold, Pearl and Blues are very pretty and they all get to about 4 inches as adults, the blue gets about 6 inches. My Blue is beautiful and very intelligent. He protects EVERYONE in the tank. From the big Silver Dollars to the little Cory Cats to even the new guys, but he does put the others in their place quite often. He won't allow any fighting except between my 2 awnory angels :S

The Gourami's are really neat in that they use their feelers to explore. When there is a new guy or a bag'a'floating with new guys, they all check them out by their feelers. Sometimes they will fight a bit amongst eachother using their feelers too, really cute though!!! :D :rolleyes:

They seem to really only like flake food, but they may eat shrimp pellets or fresh peas when I'm not in the room, but for the most part they like their Tropical Fish Flakes. They spend most of the time at mid or top strata and they can be a little skiddish, but NOTHING like the Silvers. My Silvers are the MOST skiddish fish I've ever kept, to bad too because they are SOOOOO fun to watch.

My Blue Gourami is by FAR my favorite Gourami. He checks out caves and patrols the waters like he's on duty all the time, he's really awesoume!!!

I know there is other gouramis, they are grey and pretty large even in the LFS, that get literally as big as dogs. I think it cruel to keep those kind because no matter what tank size you have it still isn't big enough. And those big ones are down right mean.

Hope this helps a little :/

Silver
:*

my fave where my dwarf gourami's

sadly they died :-(

but they are deffo 1 of my fave fishies so when i get my new tank next week....after its cycled.....then i think i might get a few more

my powder blue loves blood worms tho.....he rushes upto the top of the tank n takes then straight from my hand

Tek :fish:

thanks for theinput. powder blue gouramis it is then. now i just need to find a lfs that carries them or have my favorite see if they can if order them for me.

:D Bitchness is one of the best fishies we have :) tho we did have two powder blues and she picked on the male and he gave up and died :look: :( but we still like her - after all - fish will be fish!
check out our pic of bitchness! its in the members aquarium pics , fine example of powder blues if I do say so myself ;) :p :D :wub:
also she LOVES to eat daphnia all our fishies do, she gobbles them like crazy.

:thumbs:

Starry^

I just love that picture Starry!!!

By the way.....yours doesn't have dark blue spots all over, but mine does.....there is a "not-so-good" photo of him (I just call him a him) in my signature gif animation. Do you think mine is a male and yours is a female?

Silver

hmm ,

Im not really too sure about that one silver - we had a male powder blue and it looked just like our female..
I think ours are dwarf gourami? and maybe yours isnt..? I duno, there could be lots of reasons why yours has the same name but looks diff,if u search for powder blues on the net they all look like ours , so I duno why yours has diff colourings etc, possibly they develop that colouring when they get older,all I could find was this with a list of diff kinds of gourami for sale diff species of Gourami
u may have to do a bit of research :)

Starry^

You know what..........that darn fish lady told me the WRONG name AGAIN......

I don't have a Powder Blue Gourami, I have a Blue Gourami that is a hybrid in color variation from the Three Spot Gourami. Can you believe that?????? How interesting.

Silver :fun: :thumbs:

Starry^ said:
hmm ,

Im not really too sure about that one silver - we had a male powder blue and it looked just like our female..
I think ours are dwarf gourami? and maybe yours isnt..? I duno, there could be lots of reasons why yours has the same name but looks diff,if u search for powder blues on the net they all look like ours , so I duno why yours has diff colourings etc, possibly they develop that colouring when they get older,all I could find was this with a list of diff kinds of gourami for sale diff species of Gourami
u may have to do a bit of research :)

Starry^
i have 2 blue 1 peal and 1 yellow gourami and they are georgeuos though the blues can be a bit territorial so they need a decent sized tank. I also got some paradise fish, never again they are realy mean fish had to take them back even though they wern't that big just plane nasty.

silver Posted on Jun 13 2003, 12:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think mine is a male and yours is a female?

i think male Gourami's have a very pointed anal fin at the bottom & the females have a more rounded fin :fish:

:D

Bitchness is definately the o//ner of the tank - she keeps all our other fishies inline :lol:
They are fabulous fish gouramis, their personalitys certainly grow on you :wub: (even tho she picked on the male gourami we had until he died... -_- :( :angry: )

Silver
That is interesting! the closest thing I could find that looked like your gourami was this Reg opaline Gourami it annoys me when people at the fish store are unhelpful - you would think they would know their species of fish! but in most cases they dont know anything - the people at our LFS are rude and dont seem to give a damn about anything really - they dont seem to like their jobs much - I would be SO in my area if i owned a fish store :lol: LOL

Starry^

Thanks Starry.....I saw the Opaline also and it looks VERY much like my Kiki. So does the Blue Gourami. Both the Opaline and the Blue Gourami look alike and are hybrid of the 3 Spot Gourami. I guees I DON'T have a powder blue dang it. I feel stupid now, but at least I know what I have. Hey, what fin is the anal fin anyhow??

Silver

Most reactions

Back