Gourami sick. Need help please.

Did you happen to forget to add conditioner during a WC?
Did you use salt?

Did you happen to forget to add conditioner during a WC?
Did you use salt?
I added conditioner as I normally would, alongside the melafix. I had given them a salt bath over the weekend since I was snowed in. But I did a water change to get rid of most of that before adding melafix.

That shouldn't have caused the cycle to crash...strange...but, I know nothing about Melafix, never used it

That shouldn't have caused the cycle to crash...strange...but, I know nothing about Melafix, never used it
I also have sand substrate and I was really stirring it up to clean the tank. Any chance that could’ve done something? And I scraped off all the algae I had on the glass. There was a lot because I enjoy the natural aesthetic of algae. Could that much loss in algae cause it?

When you were advised to clean the filter, it was to swish the media around in the bucket of tank water you had removed. Didn't know if you knew that was what was meant

I also have sand substrate and I was really stirring it up to clean the tank. Any chance that could’ve done something? And I scraped off all the algae I had on the glass. There was a lot because I enjoy the natural aesthetic of algae. Could that much loss in algae cause it?
Shouldn't have, but do see Ellrog's post above about rinsing media....chlorinated tap water will kill your BB on the media....how long has the tank been set up?

Shouldn't have, but do see Ellrog's post above about rinsing media....chlorinated tap water will kill your BB on the media....how long has the tank been set up?
I didn’t touch my filter. I have a cascade canister and I don’t rinse it precisely for the BB. I have a rinse schedule and I’d rinsed it a few weeks ago. My tank has been established for ten years. Tho my canister I got in January. I used old media to set it up. I don’t swish around my filter unless I feel comfortable doing so because I often find that not touching it at all helps my tank. It’s also a planted tank. So it’s usually pretty darn hard to cause a crash. Luckily I own a hospital tank, but I’m devastated at all the fish that are gone. I’m basically starting over.

Sorry for the losses....are you sure it was a stalled/crashed cycle?
You tested water params with a liquid test kit?

Sorry for the losses....are you sure it was a stalled/crashed cycle?
You tested water params with a liquid test kit?
I gotta go buy a new liquid test kit. My tanks been stable for so many years I just never needed a new one. ??‍♀️ I got too comfortable. I tested with some strips I have for emergencies and my nitrites were extremely high. I also tested a week prior and they were 0. My pH was also strangely down by a whole point which has never happened to me before. I know they’re not entirely accurate. But I plan on ordering a new liquid kit since this emergency shattered everything

I gotta go buy a new liquid test kit. My tanks been stable for so many years I just never needed a new one. ??‍♀️ I got too comfortable. I tested with some strips I have for emergencies and my nitrites were extremely high. I also tested a week prior and they were 0. My pH was also strangely down by a whole point which has never happened to me before. I know they’re not entirely accurate. But I plan on ordering a new liquid kit since this emergency shattered everything
Understood....I recently replaced my API kit, because the reagents had expired...but it's an invaluable tool for FW fishkeeping....

Understood....I recently replaced my API kit, because the reagents had expired...but it's an invaluable tool for FW fishkeeping....
Here’s the kicker: do I continue dosing melafix for the bacterial infection or just let everything work itself out for a while til the column is back? My gourami is surprisingly happy and satisfied. Along with the Cory catfish. This is like playing with the devil now

Here’s the kicker: do I continue dosing melafix for the bacterial infection or just let everything work itself out for a while til the column is back? My gourami is surprisingly happy and satisfied. Along with the Cory catfish. This is like playing with the devil now
If it were me, I'd discontinue the meds, and do daily WC's with enough conditioner to treat the entire tank, until the test kit comes in...

Most reactions

Back