Gourami Scaring Me

So what fish would go well with 1 dwarf gourami, 3 black skirt tetras(i’m getting more dont worry) and 2 serpaes(i’m getting more or might rehome them, haven’t decided)

So what fish would go well with 1 dwarf gourami, 3 black skirt tetras(i’m getting more dont worry) and 2 serpaes(i’m getting more or might rehome them, haven’t decided)
None.

Black skirts and serpae are the 2 nippiest, aggressive tetras out there, they belong in HUGE schools to spread the aggression amongst themselves, and not other tank mates.....in at least 50G of water, species only...there are exceptions, but not in this case.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a 10G tank....keep a DG, the BS and serpaes have to go...if I'm wrong about the tank size, let me know, but this combo of fish was doomed from the start, unfortunately.

it’s a 20 gallon. sorry if i didn’t say that before. i’ll definitely look at rehomeing those serpaes as well
No need to apologize, I didn't read through your whole thread, but even in a 20G, these fish aren't going to work out together, even if you has room to add to their numbers, which you don't.

Is this a 20 tall, or 20 long?.....US tank, correct?

No need to apologize, I didn't read through your whole thread, but even in a 20G, these fish aren't going to work out together, even if you has room to add to their numbers, which you don't.

Is this a 20 tall, or 20 long?.....US tank, correct?
yes U.S. tank. Don’t think it’s tall. It’s a top fin brand.

24 inches long. Just measured it.
A 20T

IMO, I'd rehome ALL of these fish, and start over...the tank is cycled, correct? Again, haven't read the whole thread...

Even if you kept a single DG, that will be HIS tank after a while, and any newbies you try to introduce may not be welcome...

There's MANY other fish that would work in a 20T that are peaceful, community fish...

Again, my 2 cents...

A 20T

IMO, I'd rehome ALL of these fish, and start over...the tank is cycled, correct? Again, haven't read the whole thread...

Even if you kept a single DG, that will be HIS tank after a while, and any newbies you try to introduce may not be welcome...

There's MANY other fish that would work in a 20T that are peaceful, community fish...

Again, my 2 cents...
yeah, then again my mom will need convincing. thanks for the advice.

Alright, I have made the decision to redecorate the tank. This is because my DG passed away this morning. So I decided to redecorate to try and get rid of the territories. But if things go south or I don’t see improvement then I am rehoming them. It’s just I want the rehoming option as a last resort and don’t want to do anything that might’ve had a different solution.
As for rearranging the tank should I do a different gravel and see how that works? Maybe do like a black sand? My mom said I should just do full planted with only a couple fake decorations. I need suggestions and advice. I feel like I’m not doing a good enough job with this tank.

Last edited:
It's YOUR tank, deco it in a way that pleases you...
Thanks... but let’s just say that things turn south. I rehome all but 1 gourami. What do you think I should get? I would like some Venezuelan Corys and read that corys do well with gouramis. Do you have personal experience with them?

Thanks... but let’s just say that things turn south. I rehome all but 1 gourami. What do you think I should get? I would like some Venezuelan Corys and read that corys do well with gouramis. Do you have personal experience with them?
Gouramis do fine with any kind of cory, I have both in 2 tanks

Most reactions

Back