gourami question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kgodwin00

Reaction score
Hi everyone, id like to first say that I'm aware of all the parameters for the fish i will be mentioning and have done research and or previously owned all of the species.. i currently have 1 male pearl gourami in my 30 gallon with my rasboras and a baby bristelnose pleco (there was a female with him but a friend of mine had a female pearl gourami tank and really liked mine so i gifted her to them) he is by far the most peaceful pearl i have ever owned super layed back chill guy who never pushed his weight around with anyone even when he had his female in there. i recently got a 60 gallon and plan to move him into there once it is set up, theyre will be plenty of hiding places in the tank, driftwood, live plants, caves. the for sure members of the tank are a rainbow shark my pearl and two female pearls, and either a school of gold barbs or some school of tetra not sure but leaning towards the barbs since they will be less fin nippy then most tetras. i really want to add one more thing to my list that will really give the tank some life. i was leaning towards another gourami species but i know it can be iffy putting two gourami species together, so my question is given the sizeof tank, very docile nature of my pearl, and amount of hiding place in the tank do you guys think i could put another gourami species in there (i would do 1 male and two females) i was leaning toward either opaline or three spot gouramis, seeing as most other species will either get too large have known health problems or are super agressive. if not what else do you guys reccomend i add instead. side note if i do get the other gorami species and it doesnt work out i would move my rasboras to my 10 gallon and put the three pearls in the 30 gallon with just the bristlenose.

I personally don't like 3 spot gouramis they can be rather bossy. Your 60 gallon will be big enough to house say five or six pearls and if you give them plenty of protection they will be fine. I love male pearl Gouramis and you very rarely get an over aggressive one.

As a general rule, only one species of gourami should be kept per tank.

I personally don't like 3 spot gouramis they can be rather bossy. Your 60 gallon will be big enough to house say five or six pearls and if you give them plenty of protection they will be fine. I love male pearl Gouramis and you very rarely get an over aggressive one.
ok I may do this instead, but then do you have a reccomendation of another similar sized fish i could add in because rainbow shark is mostly a bottom dweller and i want some action in the tank

You have mentioned 1 male and 2 female pearl gouramis - you could get more female pearls. I have 1 male, 3 female in my tank, though I intended 1m 4 f but one female turned out to be a male and I had to return him to the store.

Most reactions

Back