Gourami Has Red Patch On Face

FroggyFish

Reaction score
One of my female Gouramis has a pinkish-red patch on side of her face, stretching nearly as far as her gills. There have been no cottonish strands on her patch.

She's been in the quarantine tank for a week, and we're treating her with Furan2 powder (had a full 4 days treatment as directed on packet - two treatments in 48 hrs, followed by 1/4 tank water change, then another 2 treatments over 48 hrs and we're due to change 1/4 tank water tonight).

She's looking a little better, but I don't know if she's improved enough to return to main tank. None of the other fish in main community tank have the same problem. I'm reluctant to keep her for too long in the quarantine tank, as she's I think getting a bit lonely. Also off her food a little today (first day that she's not eaten much).

The question is - is this the right treatment for her (the Furan2) and how long should we treat her and keep her in quarantine tank for? It says on the packet the treatment can be repeated.

My tank parameters are as follows:-

Request Help

Tank size: 125 litres
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 40
kH: unknown - sorry
gH: unknown
tank temp: 27 C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Fish affected is a Gourami female. Reddish-pink sore-lookking area on side of head. No cottony strands. Before being moved to quarantine tank a week ago, affected fish was keeping to herself at back of main tank (unusual - normally swims about a lot and nibbles plants in tank), has been eating normally, but a little reluctant to eat this morning.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: We change approx. 1/4 - 1/3 of tank water every 2 weeks.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: We treat water with Aquasafe (removes chlorine) when we do water changes; otherwise no additives.

Tank inhabitants: 10 Cardinal tetras, 6 Black Phanton Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecs & 3 Red Sunset Dwarf Gouramis (1 male and 2 female).

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Nothing new has been added to tank reecently.

Exposure to chemicals: Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any whiteness to the the pink or red sore. Like a white edging or white centre.
Pink or red sores can be ulcers but they usually with have a circling of dead white skin around the edges.
I would do another round of treatment.
What do her gills look like do they look pale with excess slime or red and inflamed.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
What type of gourami is the fish?

Hi Wilder - thanks for getting back to me.

She is a Dwarf Red Sunset Gourami. I don't know if this is the proper name, and I don't know the latin name, sorry - this is how she was called when we bought her, about a year ago. She's silver in colour.

As to the sore patch - with her being silver, it's hard to see, but we can't distinguish any white edges around the sore patch.

(By the way, when she first started with the sore patch, before it became red, it looked like small white mark on her face, then developed into a larger redder patch, if that's any help?!)

Her gills look ok - there's no slime, nor are they red in colour or inflamed.

No signs of any flicking or rubbing either.

I would do another round of the bacterial med.
There a desease called dwarf gourami desease and that can start of as sores.
But not sure if a red sunset dwarf can get it.
Get you some info

I would do another round of the bacterial med.
If a desease called dwarf gourami desease and that can start of as sores.
But not sure if a red sunset dwarf can get it.
Get you some info

If repeat the bacterial med, do I need to add activated charcoal to water before repeating the treatment and wait a bit? Or can I just restart the treatment as before, from tomorrow?

Re dwarf gourami disease, is this treatable? I've heard once they get that, it's fairly much curtains for the poor fish, and incurable? Is it quite common also?

I appreciated the info search.

To be honest don't know much about the desease.
In the article I left tells you alot about it.

Follow the meds instructions to see what it says about doing after each treatment.
Might have to do a water change and run some black carbon.

To be honest don't know much about the desease.
In the article I left tells you alot about it.

Follow the meds instructions to see what it says about doing after each treatment.
Might have to do a water change and run some black carbon.

Ok. Thanks for the article - although a little depressed having read it! Will follow your advice and retreat. On reading, meds package says to run activated carbon & another water change before retreating, so will do this.

I'm so glad we quarantined her early, and hopefully she'll pull through, with retreatment. Also, hopefully the other Gourmais left in the main tank won't have picked it up. They look fine , and no signs ofpatches or any odd behaviour, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your info and guidance.

Quarantine tanks can save alot of lives, there well worth there money.
Good Luck hope she pulls through bless her.

Update on Sally with the red patch....

We have given her two complete tretments of Furan2 for the red patch. This has improved. Patch on face is now less red and less inflamed, but now she seems to have a fungal infection.

We are thinking of finishing the Furan2 treatment after today's final treatment. But can you recommend a good anti-fungal treatment for her? The top of her head is kind of white and fluffy.

She has not eaten for the past 2 days, and looks rather miserable.

Would appreciate any help.

Most reactions

Back