Got Some Java Fern....now What?

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Reaction score
I got me some Java Fern now do I plant it in the substrate (sand) or tie it to something?

I don't have bog wood but I do have some quality fake wood (resin)

Your ideas or maybe a photo of yours growing?

Anyway, this is the stuff I got....

javaif6.jpg

You have to tie it to something, wood, slate, stones/ rocks anything. Dont plant it as it will rot & die. Use cotton or fishing line, some people use elastic bands, be patient, it is a fiddly job.

I find cotton the best as it will disintegrate/break down where as fishing line and elastic bands will have to be romeved unless you plan on leaving the fishing line on, but elastic bands will have to be removed.

Thank you both, especially the bit about not planting.

I guessed that you could tie it to things but I thought maybe it had to be real wwod or something.

I've done the cotton thing with Christmas Tree Moss so I do the same with the fern, yes?

Fiddling is not my strong point but I'll give it a go

Cheers :good:

Thank you both, especially the bit about not planting.

Fiddling is not my strong point but I'll give it a go

Cheers :good:

I found out that it is Not mine either, 1hr for 3 plants :crazy: i was almost ripping my hair out :shout:

Then i had ordered another 5 for big tank :rolleyes:

Just unwrapped those lovely looking plant and they are just leaves! I need some sort of roots don't I? if i tie them to something will anything happen or will they just rot?

I can understand now why LFS charges £12-£14 for some already attatched to bog-wood

That's crappy, there should be a rhizome on the bottom of each leaf which grows and produced new leaves. Take the bits you have back to the LFS and get your money back. It is of a different type of fern but it shows clearly what you are looking for. See the long 'twig' type thing at the bottom and that each leaf is attached to? That's the rhizome. The brown stringy things coming off the bottom are rots and are what the plant use to attach to the things is sitting on.

varenr006_large.jpg

Decent java fern can be ordered from <a href="http://www.aquaticplants.eu.com/" target="_blank">http://www.aquaticplants.eu.com/</a>

BTW you attach it in exactly the same way you attach xmas moss :)

Sam

thank you 'Themuleous' you have saved me a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately I got mine off Ebay and when it arrived it looked great. It had the ends wrapped in cotton wool as you can see in my photo. I dropped them in my spare tank for a couple of days until I had time to strap them to something. I gave good feedback as I thought all was well. When I inwrapped them I realized they where just leaves! :crazy:

Oh well.....a lesson learned. :nod:

A TFF member has offered me some well rooted stuff which I am going to respond to.....thanks for your informative reply :good:

Most reactions

Back