Got A New Fish Today (Please Read)

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
this is probably going to turn out to be a headache. my birthday just passed and my dad wanted to buy me something so he came home today with a fish for my community tank.

he claims its a "dwarf african cichlid". the fish is tiny right now... about the size of a mid-sized tetra... such as a lemon tetra or red-eye tetra... probably even a little smaller.

... i kept asking for my details and he said it was labeled a "assorted dwarf african cichlids"... now ive mentioned to him that im interested in buying a ram cichlid... so im thinking he just bought a small fish from an assorted african cichlid tank and now hes tryin to pass it off as a dwarf.

my tank consists of a
dwarf gouami
dojo loach
white mountain cloud minnows
dwarf frogs
ghost shrimp
corys

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae292/doof322/Photo7.jpg?t=1269723934

^not the best picture, but thats him.

can anyone identify him for me and give me some advice on what i should do?

it looks like a young lab ciclid to me but not 100%

could be. he said the others in the tank were yellow so that might make sense.

i also found a picture of what it might be.

tangerine zebra

http://www.minoltaphotos.com/fish2/red%20zebra.jpg

Yup, I agree......and not suitable for a community tank really. (and there is an H in Cichlid guys :rolleyes: )

Yup, I agree......and not suitable for a community tank really.

i explained to him what i think it is and he responded by telling me that the fish is too small for aggression right now... and if it grows up with the community fish it'll get used to the tankmates and therefore wont show aggression even when its large.

i think hes full of it. any opinions?

sneak it back and swap it for a fish that looks similar and say it was stressed in the shop and is now settled

Yup, I agree......and not suitable for a community tank really.

i explained to him what i think it is and he responded by telling me that the fish is too small for aggression right now... and if it grows up with the community fish it'll get used to the tankmates and therefore wont show aggression even when its large.

i think hes full of it. any opinions?

Leopard....spots? :no:

sneak it back and swap it for a fish that looks similar and say it was stressed in the shop and is now settled

lol he bought me a 2 dollar fish for my birthday... nearly a week after my birthday. i'm not gonna be harsh but im not too worried about hurting his feelings right now.

Leopard....spots? :no:

:huh:

Most reactions

Back