Got A New 80 Litre Tank... These Inhabitants Good?

NeonSagaris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a new 80 litre tank to replace my old, awful 19 litre Fluval Chi. I haven't put anything in it yet, no substrate (sand), rocks/wood, plants etc. I'm currently thinking of how I should arrange it.

I have been thinking long and hard about what fish I should get, and I have come to a rough conclusion: (changed)

. 10 Green Neon or Cardinal Tetras (Not sure which yet)
. 3 Golden Balloon Rams (These are a definite - not changing my mind on these)
. 6 Panda Corys (?)
. Otocinclus
. Cherry Shrimp

I'd like to know what you all think. I'm not sure if this is overstocking it, but if so, I'd like to know what I'd change here.

I was originally going to go for Neon Tetras, but then I realised that I don't want a load of dead Neons in my tank... they wouldn't be very nice like that... so I decided to have either Green Neons (if I can find any) or Cardinals, but I'm still not sure which. Whatever I choose out of the two Tetras, I thought it would be nice to have some Embers with them as well because they are lovely looking fish.

Golden Balloon Rams are a very small Ram species, (link to what they look like - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zckd7JyBi-k/Te5NSFEEcaI/AAAAAAAAAKg/H0HEjqX0CSY/s1600/Dwarf-Golden-Ram-Cichlid.png)and I have fallen in love with them. Probably one of the best fish I have ever come across, and luckily my LFS has them. I would like to have them so, so much, they are a must! I'm not sure however, if I should get 2 males and 1 female or vice versa (Don't want them to breed).

What'da y'all think?

Personally I would go with one shoaler and have more rather than two smaller shoals.

You might get away with a pair of rams, but you definitely don't have room for a trio; they can be quite aggressive and territorial.

Hillstream loach are another definite no no in a ram set up; they have totally different requirements (cool, fast flowing water with lots of rocks; rams need very warm well planted tanks with lots of bogwood).

You might have to rethink the panda cories as well, as they prefer it cooler than the rams would want it.

The rams are a genetic mutation for that balloon body. The problem with balloon bodied fish is they develop issues with.there organs and generally don't live as long as normal body fish.
Ok, I know that wasn't your question, so I'll get on to your actual ones.
The rams should either be kept as a pair or 1m/2f trio. They also need certain water conditions, a low pH 6-6.5 is best. They also need high water temperatures 80-86°F, to do there best.
Out of the fish you list, the cardinals and embers would do well. The cories probably wouldn't be to happy at those temps, cruise over to www.planetcatfish.com for all the info needed on any catfish you may run across in a fish store.
The loaches are not going to be happy at all. They come from cool oxygen rich waters. Anything above 76°F long term is going to abbreviate their lives.
The shrimp might be ok, they might be fish food...

OK, thank you. I thought I would settle on 10 Green Neon Tetras, but Cardinals still might be best. I would really, really like corys... are there any that would do well in a water climate that is similar to what Rams like?

I also might just get Otos instead of Loaches... I really like them, and I have some in my 60 litre and they are awesome! And they like warmer water like the Rams like.

Also with shrimp, they should be fine. Tetras wouldn't bother them and the little Rams would be small enough to also not bother them either I think.

Balloons are really hard to sex - bar the ethics of them they are a very hard fish to keep alive for a long period of time.

Blue Rams are hard to keep and even within this forum there are loads of varying arms of opinion. I would always go with what has been said above high temps low ph but sometimes rams that have been line bred a lot and are quite a few generations down from wild for the body shape and colour can sometimes need the reverse as they have been bred in absolute sterile conditions sometimes with even a bit of salt in the water and a neutral ph - and this is over a few generations before these arrive at the store. So its hard to know what to suggest for them over all but I do think the more natural high temps low ph is the best option. Just as a side note - I have sometimes found/seen that strict line bred morphs sometimes loose the character of the regular fish and sometimes just bob around rather than interact with each other and the owner like regular Rams do, not sure if you have seen this kind of thing before? This is not from fish I have kept but seen around in shops and other tanks.

For me the ultimate Ram set up is

Rams
Rummynose Tetras
Sterbai Cories

These are all common tank mates in Discus tanks and need those higher temperatures and all thrive in the low ph. I believe the Ottos may do well in there but would need a decent flow in the tank especially for them to sit in and enjoy.

Just a thought - have you looked at Balloon Mollys - I have never been "into" balloon fish but these are much hardier than the rams and are going to be a better solution I think so that you can have the other fish on your list as well.

And lastly - when thinking about Tetras try not to group them all together, Green Neons and Embers are real micro fish and great for small tanks where as Cardinals are much much larger for this kind of fish and the Green Neons or Embers would be better suited to your tank IMO.

Hope thats helped
Wills

Oh... wow... Didn't know the Balloon Rams were so hard to keep... I might rethink that whole idea then, mostly sounds like you guys think it's not such a good idea having them, and I see why. Maybe it's not such a big loss, I mean I love a lot of other fish that would be a whole lot easier to handle. I'll stick with the 10 Green Neons (Again, if I can find them), and at least I can have Panda Corys. Also the Shrimp would stand a better chance anyway. Maybe I could have some Black Bar Endlers! Maybe 6 of those. Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

And with the Balloon Mollys; never been fond of them, but a good idea nonetheless.

smile.png

Well then, this is the current list:
  • 8 Green Neon Tetras
  • 6 Black Bar Endlers
  • 6 Panda Corys
  • 5 Otocinclus
  • Cherry Shrimp
Thought if I am having Endlers too, I would reduce number of Green Neons down to 8, unless there is room for 10 anyway.

Thank you!

Could I have 10 Neons or is that pushing it?

I think 10 neons instead of the green neons would be fine, or 10 green neons maybe even 12.

I'll probably will get 10 Green Neons then.

Thank you.
  • 10 Green Neon Tetras
  • 6 Black Bar Endlers
  • 6 Panda Corys
  • 5 Otocinclus
  • Cherry Shrimp

Cool
smile.png
Glad we could help!

New list looks good but dont forget that all your fish in there are tiny tiny fish and in 80 liters I would be tempted to up your fish a bit. Or look at some kind of center piece like some dwarf cichlids or small gourami - even some Red or Orange platies would look good against the smaller fish. Or just up your schools a little.

Wills

There is still room for more?! Wow ok... I'll have to think about that.... If I upped the Green Neon number to 12 and the Endler number to 8, would there still be room for a centre piece fish?

I think its an either or - adding more green neons sounds good but I would get more cories as they are schoolers where as endlers will be quite happy as a six :)

Wills

Yeah, but the Endlers are small, and there won't be as much room in the sand for the Corys as there will be for the Endlers in the mid-water. 

Thank you for the help though, it's very much appreciated.
smile.png

I'm stunned that an 80 Litre tank could hold this many fish, but it's so cool!

Panda cories are one of the smaller cories, so I agree with Wills. Up them to 8 or 10, they will not be cramped.

Most reactions

Back