Got a haze in the water in one of my tanks, that I don’t fully understand…

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Tank had a rinsed coarse sand substrate, 8 well rooted terrestrial plants I n hang on pots, with ceramic biometric, there is a good size tangle of Java fern… same care as my other tanks in this group, as far as feeding and water… but here are 2 Tidal 75’s, and this is only a 45 gallon… fish all look healthy assume it’s some sort of biological bloom… there is also a 10 inch air bar on a good roll… thoughts???

It’s been running for 4-6 months. And previously was crystal clear, like my other tanks

A little bacterial bloom is a likely the culprit. Try to add some poly-wool to one of your filter to trap it.

Reduce feeding, increase water changes, siphon the sand. Ensure your filter media is clean and functioning optimally.

Bacterial blooms often clear up on their own given time.

Hello Magnum. I had the same problem some time back. I took some time to vacuum some of the areas that looked like they could be a possible issue and I installed a filter in the tank and that solved the problem. Never did figure out why the water became hazy, but the filter took care of things.

It’s not real bad but just not as clear as it was a couple weeks ago… these two tanks were similar clarity a couple weeks ago
IMG_5731.jpeg

Milky cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. Either the filter isn't working properly or there is uneaten food rotting in the tank.

Have you changed their diet at all in the last couple of weeks?
Are you gravel cleaning the substrate?
Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?

edited to change blood to bloom, der brain not work good now :(

Last edited:
If you did the filter wool trick, today you can take a close look at it...

If it's grey / black, it's bacteria
if it's green / yellow it's algae

Another item to check and clean is the pump itself. Take it apart and clean everything including the impeller. If I have not cleaned the pump for a while it makes the water cloudy when I switch it back on after a water change.

Most reactions

Back