Got A Bala Shark

I expect that may have something to do with it, but much more important is simply space. Most fish will grow to accomodate the space they inhabit. Unfortunately this only applies to the outside of the fish, not the insides.

So a small space containing a fish that should get big, results in much discomfort and nastyness for the fish. You can imagine what is happening inside a 3 inch fish that should be grown to seven or eight by now :sick:

Which would also go some way to explaining why a fish that should live for 15 years or so rarely gets anywhere near that. :no:

Sanj. The tank is a Juwel Rio 400. You'd expect it to be a 400 litre tank, but some simoke calculations show otherwise.

Ahhh right. I think the Juwel and Rena aquariums are calculated with displacement in mind. Especially the Juwels with their internal filters which take up some room and volume with all the media.

Otherwise my Rena would be 420 litres and my Juwel 273 litres.

Using PFK calculator yours comes to 477 lites (~480).

I wonder then when calculating stocking density these error margins must be taken into account. i guess the whole stocking density guide is a pretty rough approximation.

So do you think my Rena aquarium is too small for adult balas?

Hi Sanj.

I don't know how they arrive at their calculations. Even with the corner cut off for the filter, it would be more than 400 litres, and they don't know how much substrate and decor someone is going to put in. Maybe it's a German thing.

unfortunately 4 foot isn't going to be large enough for adults. I just moved to the 400 (5 foot) from the 300, and even the 400 won't be big enough in a couple of years. Full grown adults will need eight foot or more really. They like some depth as well, so to keep then in good condition, and let them live out their full lives, it's a custom tank I'm afraid.

That said, they will live in a tank that size, just not very happily, and probably not very long.

Ian.

Oh well I think I made the right decision then. Might get a Rio 400 later in the year although im not sure what the running costs for three sizable tanks is going to be.

In the meantime i have found a really nice fish that grows only to 6". No doubt you have probably heard of it. Its the Red Torpedo barb Puntius Denisonii.
Really attractive fish. :)

Most reactions

Back