Good snails for freshwater tanks?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I seriously think Nerites are the way to go.

Red Spot
DSCN3733.JPG

Zebra
DSCN3851.JPG
I can vouch for the nerites, I have a couple of Zebra's, and they are very efficient. I supplement their diets with sliced cucumbers and the occasional algae wafer.

Wonder if they’d like an alge wafer? Bought some & none of the fish are very interested
You might find better success with algae wafers if you have fish that are bottom feeders (plecos, CAE, etc.)

If you give them time the nerites should find it. If the fish are aggressive towards it and eat before the snails can get to it, I have that placing my nerites in bowls and feeding them that way ensures they can get to the food and not be disturbed. If you try this keep an eye out because they will escape out of the bowl if allowed to. Adding tank water to the bowl also encourages them to eat in my experience.

I would try different methods and see what works. Ideally, the nerites could be fed inside the tank but it is not always possible.

You might find better success with algae wafers if you have fish that are bottom feeders (plecos, CAE, etc.)

If you give them time the nerites should find it. If the fish are aggressive towards it and eat before the snails can get to it, I have that placing my nerites in bowls and feeding them that way ensures they can get to the food and not be disturbed. If you try this keep an eye out because they will escape out of the bowl if allowed to. Adding tank water to the bowl also encourages them to eat in my experience.

I would try different methods and see what works. Ideally, the nerites could be fed inside the tank but it is not always possible.
Many thanks for all the terrific suggestions. 🙏🏻

Most reactions

Back