Good Set Up?

zakkp8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this a good set up for my now cycled 10 US gallon? I'm planing on having 2 male guppies, 2 female guppies, 5 hatchet fish, 3 sparkling gouramies, 3 pigmy cories and 1 African Dwarf frog. Is that good?

Its well cycled, so what of thoes should I put in, I have 12 guppies now(2 moms, and 10, month old babies). Keeping the females and two males, what else should I get?

Guppies are best kept with a higher ratio of males to females, it's generally 1 male to 2 females.
Sparkling Gourami only get to about 1.5" and are best kept as 1 male to 2 females.
Hatchet fish are best kept in groups of 6+ and grow to about 1.5".
Pygmy Cories also tend top reach about 1.5" and as far as I know are best kept in groups of about 6+.

If you add another female guppy, you could probably get away with 3 Sparkling Gouramies but not the Hatchet fish.
You may well be pushing it by adding the Cories as well.

Guppies are best kept with a higher ratio of males to females, it's generally 1 male to 2 females.
Sparkling Gourami only get to about 1.5" and are best kept as 1 male to 2 females.
Hatchet fish are best kept in groups of 6+ and grow to about 1.5".
Pygmy Cories also tend top reach about 1.5" and as far as I know are best kept in groups of about 6+.

If you add another female guppy, you could probably get away with 3 Sparkling Gouramies but not the Hatchet fish.
You may well be pushing it by adding the Cories as well.
Alright thanks, this would have been my first time keeping any of these fish other then the guppy and I usually buy fish 3" or bigger other then bettas. So this would have been my first time with small fish, I'll just keep the 5 guppies, and get 3 gouramies.

Make sure you post pics when it's all done!
I will, I have to wait for the babie to get a bit bigger before I give them to a reliable FS and get the gouramies. Oh I also have to reset up the decorations because I'm useing the cheap fishstore ones I've had for years. It will have drift wood, rocks, and many plants!

How about this; 3 sparkling gouramies, 5 myers hatchetfish, 4 guppies? Its from the 10 gallon recomendations.

I still think you could be pushing it with that stocking.

Guppies x 4 = 8"
Hatchet fish x 5 = 7.5"
Gouramis x 3 = 4.5"

Total of 20" so works out as 2" per gallon. It could well work with plenty of filtration and regular maintenace but you also have to take into account any potential fry that your Guppies may produce.

I still think you could be pushing it with that stocking.

Guppies x 4 = 8"
Hatchet fish x 5 = 7.5"
Gouramis x 3 = 4.5"

Total of 20" so works out as 2" per gallon. It could well work with plenty of filtration and regular maintenace but you also have to take into account any potential fry that your Guppies may produce.
I really hate to say this but I would use the fry as feeders for my Angels and Discus. :blush:

ooh zak i wouldnt have said that. i said that once and got so much hate responces and people telling me im sick and stupid and thats not what they are for and alot of crap. but dont listen to any of it, its your tank and your fish.

ooh zak i wouldnt have said that. i said that once and got so much hate responces and people telling me im sick and stupid and thats not what they are for and alot of crap. but dont listen to any of it, its your tank and your fish.
Thanks, for understanding. I mean the Angels have to have food, and good quality food cost a lot of money, which as a 14 year old I don't get a lot of! So by feeding the guppies to them I don't have to feed them so much.

Most reactions

Back