Good Reliable Filter And Heater For A 5Gallon Betta Tank

Nelisa

Reaction score
Hello,

Like many out there I fell into the petco trap, and believed the guy when he told me that yes, I could most certainly put a fish in without filtering the water for at least 24 hours. Little did I know, that not only did it need to filter for longer than that, but that I actually had to cycle my tank first. Now I have my very first fish (a Betta of course), I love him to death but I am having to cycle my tank with him in there. I am in the process of reading up on it, however, one thing that keeps coming up is a biological filter. Do I absolutely need to have a sponge filter in order to build a biological filter or can carbon do the trick? This is my set up http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-5-Gallons-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/12177653?sourceid=1500000000000003260550&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12177653. Is this filter reliable enough? Should I buy a sponge filter? If so, could you recommend some good reliable ones?

My second issue is that my tetra 5-15 submersible heater just isn't cutting it. It is supposed to keep the water at 78 degrees and when I do the daily water changes I try, TRY to match the temp. of water coming in to the one in his tank but I always go over a few degrees. So most of the time right after a water change it is at 80 degrees but it always drops to 72-74. I have been having to keep the water at those temperatures because I don't want them to fluctuate so much but I would like it to be at the 78-80 degrees. Can you guys reccomend a good reliable 5gal heater? Do I buy one that is for a 10-20 gal just so I can have the option to bump the temperature up to 80? I've heard the Marineland Stealth is good, but I've also read it fries fish...yikes. What is your experience?

I highly recommend a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater. I've got one in my 5 gallon, and it works amazing. You can set the temperature dial to whatever temperature you want, and I haven't heard any bad experiences with them. Heater LINK

As for a filter, if the betta will be the only fish in the tank, I recomend the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter. It's rated for 3 gallons, but would be fine for a solitary betta in a 5 gallon tank. I use two of them on my 5 gallon as it's divided and is home to two bettas. They're easy to clean, and reliable, quiet, powerful little filters, with an adjustable flow rate. Filter LINK

I highly recommend a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater. I've got one in my 5 gallon, and it works amazing. You can set the temperature dial to whatever temperature you want, and I haven't heard any bad experiences with them. Heater LINK

As for a filter, if the betta will be the only fish in the tank, I recomend the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter. It's rated for 3 gallons, but would be fine for a solitary betta in a 5 gallon tank. I use two of them on my 5 gallon as it's divided and is home to two bettas. They're easy to clean, and reliable, quiet, powerful little filters, with an adjustable flow rate. Filter LINK

Thanks for the heater link! I don't know if that filter will be enough for a 3 gallon though. For you it's enough but you have two, on each side which technically gives you 2.5gals per filter. I don't know if 5 gallons for a 3 gallon filter will be enough. Thanks tho!

Hi I had the theo heater 25 watt on my 5 gallon as well. I had slight problems with it, but it is because i had a faulty heater. Hydor was great to deal with, and the second heater I got had no problems. As for the filter I used the Aquaclear 20, it is rated for up to 20 gallon, overkill for a betta tank, but rather over filter then under filter. I absolutely loved it. You have freedom to customize your filter media really easily. Adjustable flow rate so you can lower the flow if it is too much for your betta. The carbon will not surfice as a bio filter. In fact, you really don't need carbon in your tank at all, unless you are trying to filter out some kind of med or toxin in your tank. The Aquaclears are not too expensive they are about $25 at petsmart (or petco). If you go for that filter I would reccommend removing the carbon pack that comes with it and add an extra pack of biomax ceramic peices. You can purchase the extra biomax at petsmart as well for around $5.00. So you would be looking at about $30 total for an awesome filter that you could move to a bigger tank (upto 20 gallon) if and when you upgrade.

Thanks for the heater link! I don't know if that filter will be enough for a 3 gallon though. For you it's enough but you have two, on each side which technically gives you 2.5gals per filter. I don't know if 5 gallons for a 3 gallon filter will be enough. Thanks tho!

It's rated for 3 gallons, but has insane flow. I've got mine set to half-flow and they're still overkill. For the size of the filter, they're pretty powerful. The media for it is just a couple sponges (no carbon), but there is a little bit of space to add carbon if necessary. Honestly, at full-flow, these filters are MUCH too powerful for a 3 gallon tank.

i can give instructions on how to make your own small sponge filter. i have these running in all my betta tanks. Simple and work great. still need to waterchange and gravel vac.
pm me if interested.
cheers

Thanks all! I'm definitely checking out those two filters and the heaters. If I go with a Hydor, should I get the 50 watt Hydor (5-14 gal) or a 25 watt hydor (2-7 gal)? And what can you tell me about the Azoo Titanium Heaters? http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B001PQU0OO

i can give instructions on how to make your own small sponge filter. i have these running in all my betta tanks. Simple and work great. still need to waterchange and gravel vac.
pm me if interested.
cheers

Oh that'd be wonderful! Would you recommend using a pack of biomax ceramic pieces with the sponge filter?

Most reactions

Back