Good idea? (Craigslist Purchase?)

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! Soooooooo even though my mom has said no more tanks (she has limited me to a 55 and a 10) I still frequently check the local Craigslist for good deals on fish tanks/supplies/plants/decor, in case there is anything too good to pass up or that I feel like I could clean and resell. Today while browsing through the local listings and such I came across a really great find. The listing reads

Lot of Aquariums and supplies.
75g with stand/cabinet, light, Eheim canister filter (needs a fitting that is $33 at Anazon)
46g bowfront. Glass top, Aquaclear filter, light
26g Bowfront. Top, light, 3d backround Aquaclear filter.
20g long.
I think a 5 or 10g
Extra filters, Eheim heaters, Really nice fake plants, rockss, caves, logs, really nice driftwood, sand, chemicals, medications, food, etc. etc. ect. Much more than what I am listing here.

Everything is dirty and needs a good scrubbing.
All tanks hold water fine. Some slight scratches in glass.
ONLY selling as a lot. $200 for all.
Cash ONLY. Sold AS IS.

Ummmmmmmmmm. I feel like it would be worth the $200 just for the 46 Bowfront with the Aquaclear filter and lid? In the photos it shows the tanks, filled. There are also photos of the tanks out on a front porch, along with photos of tables full of supplies, fake plants, driftwood, and rocks/caves. The tanks look grubby, but I don’t mind scrubbing. I don’t even mind resealing them if needed! My mom said she doesn’t mind if I write and ask, but I just need to know if this is worth my money, time, and effort to resell the tanks and keep anything of value to me? All the decor looks mostly clean. Tonssss of driftwood.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Honestly I would love to replace my 10 gallon with a the 26 gallon bow front, if It fit on my dresser:fish:

I dont see any harm in going for it. Sometimes selling aquarium equipment is hard so you have to offer it for a bargain to get it shifted. I've had to do it in the past and on the sellers side its infuriating but you feel a sense of relief in it going.

Make sure you get in touch quick as you wont be the only person looking for a bargain though :)

Wills

I dont see any harm in going for it. Sometimes selling aquarium equipment is hard so you have to offer it for a bargain to get it shifted. I've had to do it in the past and on the sellers side its infuriating but you feel a sense of relief in it going.

Make sure you get in touch quick as you wont be the only person looking for a bargain though :)

Wills
Ok! I have to wait for my mom to let me use her phone, to write the person, as I don’t have my own phone yet unfortunately. I don’t mind losing some money on it, if I enjoy fixing them up, I just know my parents don’t have a whole lot of storage space in our garage, but if I resold them for a good price you think they would go fast?

If you took out the tanks you want you would always make your money back selling the rest at pretty reasonable prices. It would just be a case of spliting it all up and managing the listings on something like gumtree or ebay etc.

Its only really when you have to move things quickly you have to drop the prices right down. But like the Ehiem canister should be worth at least $70 by its self maybe more if its a big one for a 75 gallon actually.

Wills

If you took out the tanks you want you would always make your money back selling the rest at pretty reasonable prices. It would just be a case of spliting it all up and managing the listings on something like gumtree or ebay etc.

Its only really when you have to move things quickly you have to drop the prices right down. But like the Ehiem canister should be worth at least $70 by its self maybe more if its a big one for a 75 gallon actually.

Wills
Ooo interesting.

So you are you planning on buying a reselling? Or buying and keeping some, but reselling the rest?

Either way, that’s a lot of fish supplies for only $200!

So you are you planning on buying a reselling? Or buying and keeping some, but reselling the rest?

Either way, that’s a lot of fish supplies for only $200!
Most likely I will be using some of the things and selling anything I can’t use. We have some koi in quarantine totes, so we would probably upgrade them to the tanks to make water changes easier, then sell most of the tanks when we are done with them. I will admit I owe my parents money, from buying aquarium supplies, a new male rabbit for our breeding program, and I bought some art supplies, so if I am able to make any amount of profit, it will be well worth my time! I don’t have a whole lot of jobs to make money, except indoor cleaning, so I am extremely happy to potentially have a very enjoyable job to make a bit of income! I hope to replace my 10 gallon tank with the 26 gallon Bowfront eventually!

Most likely I will be using some of the things and selling anything I can’t use. We have some koi in quarantine totes, so we would probably upgrade them to the tanks to make water changes easier, then sell most of the tanks when we are done with them. I will admit I owe my parents money, from buying aquarium supplies, a new male rabbit for our breeding program, and I bought some art supplies, so if I am able to make any amount of profit, it will be well worth my time! I don’t have a whole lot of jobs to make money, except indoor cleaning, so I am extremely happy to potentially have a very enjoyable job to make a bit of income! I hope to replace my 10 gallon tank with the 26 gallon Bowfront eventually!
You could definitely make a profit from all of that.

This is my estimate of what you may be able to sell it for:

75g with stand/cabinet, light, Eheim canister filter: $250 easy (maybe a bit more, depending)

46g bowfront. Glass top, Aquaclear filter, light: $80

26g Bowfront. Top, light, 3d backround Aquaclear filter.: $60

20g long.: $20

I think a 5 or 10g: $10

Extra filters, Eheim heaters, Really nice fake plants, rockss, caves, logs, really nice driftwood, sand, chemicals, medications, food, etc. etc. ect. Much more than what I am listing here: Depends*

—-

Total estimate: $420+

——

*Depends on how many heaters, what the driftwood looks like, quality of other decor, etc.

—-

I think your best bet (for the smaller stuff) may be to go to your LFS and sell it for bulk there.

For the other tanks and such, definitely try to sell local, you will get much more for it.

You could definitely make a profit from all of that.

This is my estimate of what you may be able to sell it for:

75g with stand/cabinet, light, Eheim canister filter: $250 easy (maybe a bit more, depending)

46g bowfront. Glass top, Aquaclear filter, light: $80

26g Bowfront. Top, light, 3d backround Aquaclear filter.: $60

20g long.: $20

I think a 5 or 10g: $10

Extra filters, Eheim heaters, Really nice fake plants, rockss, caves, logs, really nice driftwood, sand, chemicals, medications, food, etc. etc. ect. Much more than what I am listing here: Depends*

—-

Total estimate: $420+

——

*Depends on how many heaters, what the driftwood looks like, quality of other decor, etc.

—-

I think your best bet (for the smaller stuff) may be to go to your LFS and sell it for bulk there.

For the other tanks and such, definitely try to sell local, you will get much more for it.
Oooooooo very nice. I looked online a bit, and because Bowfronts are more of a “specialty” tank, they sell for more. If there really is a 10 gallon I would probably split it in half with a divider and put it on my sisters dresser for 2 of their bettas. If it is 5 gallons it would be good for one of them! I tried to send the man a message to let him know I was very interested if it was still available, but something went wrong and the phone number provided cannot receive text messages, and it was JUST after 9 so my mom said we should call at a decent time in the morning, like 11 or something

I am honestly not really counting on any of the electrical equipment to work. I am going into this purchase, if it works out, assuming all I am getting is the tanks and decor so if any of the filters, lights, heaters, and such work I will be pleasantly surprised! I am honestly very excited about the 26 gallon Bowfront. The 3D background is nice looking, not cheesy or too fake looking. I can put the picture up

8D760D49-7EC0-4302-A3C3-3D333349E17D.jpeg

I am honestly not really counting on any of the electrical equipment to work. I am going into this purchase, if it works out, assuming all I am getting is the tanks and decor so if any of the filters, lights, heaters, and such work I will be pleasantly surprised! I am honestly very excited about the 26 gallon Bowfront. The 3D background is nice looking, not cheesy or too fake looking. I can put the picture up
I wouldn’t trust the heaters to be frank. I bought a used heater off of Craigslist, and it malfunctioned less than a week after I got it, killing my Betta.

That is a nice background! Should fetch a hefty sum. :thumbs:

That is a nice background! Should fetch a hefty sum. :thumbs:
Noooooooo Ima keep it!!!

I wouldn’t trust the heaters to be frank. I bought a used heater off of Craigslist, and it malfunctioned less than a week after I got it, killing my Betta.
AHHHH NOOOOOOO. That is so awful! I think my mom’s biggest fear is it will catch the house on fire...

Most reactions

Back