Good Fish For Cycling Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Where can I get a list of decent fish for cycling a tank? :good: Or has anyone got any advice on this.

Eventually my 260l tank will have Boasmani Rainbows, corys, a gourami and maybe some tetras

Unless you are willing to sacrifice one of the permanent residents to cycle a tank, use ammonia instead. I don't know of any fish that you should kill to cycle a tank.

Please dont use fish to cycle - even if they survive it their lives will be shortened. If you care about fish then fishless cycle.

Please dont use fish to cycle - even if they survive it their lives will be shortened. If you care about fish then fishless cycle.
both are as good as each other if done properly

the majority of fish keepers dont know this but their fish are subject to ammonia 24/7

but once you get the nitrite spike you need to be extra diligent.

You shouldn't underestimate peoples knowledge Truck.
As others have said, please consider a fishless cycle for the sake of your fish.

fishless cycling is easier, but it gets me when people say its cruel and harms fish. you will only cause your fish harm if you dont do 4+ water changes a day. regardless of test results.

im not saying anybody is wrong. but IMO if you know what your doing then its a feasible option, but requires atleast a 50% water change every 6 hours.

fishless cycling is easier, but it gets me when people say its cruel and harms fish. you will only cause your fish harm if you dont do 4+ water changes a day. regardless of test results.

im not saying anybody is wrong. but IMO if you know what your doing then its a feasible option, but requires a 50% water change every 6 hours.

Which a lot of new fish keepers don't realise and proberbly 90% of people can't do, especially overnight.

im not saying anybody is wrong. but IMO if you know what your doing then its a feasible option, but requires a 50% water change every 6 hours.

Which a lot of new fish keepers don't realise and proberbly 90% of people can't do, especially overnight.
yep, hence if you know what your doing and how to do it properly.

[/quote]
yep, hence if you know what your doing and how to do it properly.
[/quote]

eh i think if the OP was experienced and knew what they were doing they wouldnt be asking for advice :rolleyes:

so why tell people that more than likely dont know what they're doing thats its ok. how many newbies are going to know and are going to bother doing 4+ changes a day

in all fairness truck there are other threads that you say doing a fish in cycle is ok but you never mentioned to the people asking the questions that they need to do 4+ water changes a day. all im saying is that if you are going to advise a fish in cycle you need to give all the facts on how its going to be done because too many people just chuck tons of fish in day 1 and they dont last a week

andy?

you probably dont know him. but if people are considering setting up a fish tank they should be doing research for themselves...although i will in future say whats involved.

Most people are happy to do research but a lot of people also trust their lfs to give them the right advice. Sadly, this doesn't always happen.
People asking questions on a forum is researching, they'rs halfway there. ;)
As for Andy, I'm certain that he set up a lot of his tanks by cloning.

Most people are happy to do research but a lot of people also trust their lfs to give them the right advice. Sadly, this doesn't always happen.
People asking questions on a forum is researching, they'rs halfway there. ;)
As for Andy, I'm certain that he set up a lot of his tanks by cloning.

I agree compleatly, telling people to do their own research is of no use as most website (wiki for one) where a lot of people routinely go are not controlled by knowlegable people, and trustworthy peer reviewed articles are hard to come by; if not impossible without logins.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back