Goldilocks stocking input wanted

Bhuggins

Reaction score
Ok I’ve painted myself into a corner with my tank (although I’m enjoying the challenge and research) with my stocking. It’s a 10 gallon with driftwood and live plants, tons of moss. Currently have 7 ember tetras, a nerite snail, and some cherry shrimp. Breeding the cherry shrimp is not a goal of mine, I have a local guy who has great shrimp for a very good price.

The tank is missing a final piece or two. I’m looking for something that won’t eat my adult shrimp (Gourami), something colorful or unique, nothing too big, something that can be solo or small group. Even some interesting invertebrate would be nice.

Tank is established and very stable. Water is on the harder side with a higher PH. Weekly water changes at least 30%

You can try to add 2 honey gourami and see how they do! I keep mine in softer water, so if you cannot soften your water maybe try looking at something like African dwarf frogs. I used to keep them in a tank as small as 5-gallons, they are fully aquatic and very fun to watch :)

In a ten gallon it is hard to do a centerpiece fish.
Honey gourami would do better in a larger tank, and their is not enough room for 3 in that tank.
African dwarf frogs shouldn't be kept with fish

@Byron

In a ten gallon it is hard to do a centerpiece fish.
Honey gourami would do better in a larger tank, and their is not enough room for 3 in that tank.
African dwarf frogs shouldn't be kept with fish

I kept 3 African dwarf frogs with tetras and they were perfectly fine.
For the honey gourami it obviously depends where you are getting them- at my LFS they only reach 2-3 inches full grown.

I’m considering a few from the live bearer group. I’ve also found guppies to kind of be jerks but I’m even considering them

I’m considering a few from the live bearer group. I’ve also found guppies to kind of be jerks but I’m even considering them
What is your GH?

Around 150
Too low for guppies or other livebearers (need over 250)

Id have suggested sparkling gourami but they will also eat your adult shrimp despite their very small size.

Why not some kind of killifish?

Too low for guppies or other livebearers (need over 250)

Id have suggested sparkling gourami but they will also eat your adult shrimp despite their very small size.

Why not some kind of killifish?
Killifish are a great idea. Really colorful so would make a centerpiece fish but not too big.

Most reactions

Back