Goldfish will not leave the other alone, should I separate them??

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LunaSnow

Reaction score
I've gotten 6 new fish just yesterday, 4 gold and 2 black. They were eating and swimming fine, until one of the black ones decided to chase the other gold ones around. It looks very stressful for the fish and me, as i don't want either of them to be chewed up or dead. The black one seems to just be chasing after the other golden ones, especially the one that doesn't seem to be swimming that fast. And I don't mean that it is chasing from a distance away. The black one is literally sticking to the butts of the other fish. If I'm not wrong, there seems to be nipping involved, but most of the times I'd say it's biting/pecking, as it's not a gentle nip. Could it be bullying? Not enough food? But if it was the latter, shouldn't it go after the other black fish, too? I'd like to know if I should separate them or not, appreciate any and all help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_140021.jpg
    IMG_20200817_140021.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20200817_122747.jpg
    IMG_20200817_122747.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200817_122754.jpg
    IMG_20200817_122754.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 117
If you could provide us with a little more information it would help, such as the size of your tank and the water parameters.

As naughts said, Goldfish can nip each other during mating season, so that is always a posibilty. Yet they can also be aggresive towards each other if they're feeling a little stressed (hence the need for information from you).

My best advice would to be keep an eye on them and give us a little more information if you could, if the aggresion escalates or you start seeing damage being caused, I would seperate them and put the "bully" fish into a QT tank.

If you could provide us with a little more information it would help, such as the size of your tank and the water parameters.

As naughts said, Goldfish can nip each other during mating season, so that is always a posibilty. Yet they can also be aggresive towards each other if they're feeling a little stressed (hence the need for information from you).

My best advice would to be keep an eye on them and give us a little more information if you could, if the aggresion escalates or you start seeing damage being caused, I would seperate them and put the "bully" fish into a QT tank.

The water is about 10 inches in height and 20 inches in length, although the tank is a little bit taller. I don't have a water test sitting around at home, so I'll have to go out and buy it another time.

The water is about 10 inches in height and 20 inches in length, although the tank is a little bit taller. I don't have a water test sitting around at home, so I'll have to go out and buy it another time.
So that's what, less than 10 US gallons of water? With six goldfish in it???

You need to do a huge water change immediately, goldfish are messy fish and ammonia poisoning takes no time at all in such a small volume of water.

Did you do any research on what conditions goldfish need before buying six of them?? Is the tank even cycled with a filter? If you don't do that water change ASAP, those fish could be dead very soon.

Goldfish typically need around 20 gallons of water to feel comfortable, with six of them I'd possibly say a larger tank than even that. As Adorabelle stated they are quite a messy species of fish, their waste alone can cause a big build up of ammonia within the tank, which as you no likely already know can be harmful in high concentrates. I would recommend doing a water change just to be on the safe side as well as grabbing a test kit to keep a close eye on the parameters of the water, as the waste can cause it to increase rather quickly.

If it is at all possible I would recommend a larger tank too so that they can be content, and see less of a build up in waste and limit the chance of aggression. I think this might have possibly answered your original question however, the Goldfish might be stressed and have shown signs of aggression because of the size of the tank. Though the possibilty of breeding is still present. However in my opinion I don't think that is the case.

We will do all we can to help you out with this. Again I advise on a larger tank, even if you was to remove the fish you've added and returned them, a larger tank would definitely help the health of your fish. While it's true a fish will grow to the size of it's tank, their organs don't. As you can imagine it can be quite painful and cause many problems down the line and severely limit the life of the fish in question.

I know this isn't good news to hear, but rather know now than when it's to late.

Last edited:
You really do need 20 to 25 gallons for just 1 goldfish, with at least 10 more gallons for each additional goldfish. They get 6 inches or longer at full growth. Being in a small tank can permanently damage them, leading to disease and early death. Being together in such a small and overcrowded space can cause stress and bullying in any fish.

Not a big enough tank for 6 goldies - they grow! My how they grow!

Your tank also looks very barren.

They need some plants (real) and some rocks, plant pots etc to provide shelter and a place for quiet fish to retreat to

Good advice given! The behavior does sound like breeding nature but not sure those fish are old enough yet. You need 30 gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional one. You need get a 38 gallon tank and pick the 2 you like the best to kerp and rehome the rest. That or buy at least a 75G tank. I have 2 in my 75G and 2 in my 45G. They will die quickly in the environment you currently have them in. Poor fish. One of my goldfish is 8” long. Her daughter is about 5” long now. They can live 10 years. Please be kind and fix this issue. Are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle and is your tank cycled. If not, do a 70% water change daily until it is cycled. Read this.. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

You have a mess to fix but it is fixable. This is my 4 year old goldfish at 8” and her baby at 5”. Baby is 2 years old.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Most reactions

Back