Goldfish - Tropical Tank?

andy_spurs

Reaction score
Hi,

I set up my tropical tank last week, it is a 60L tanks with 4 plants and a few bits of bogwood, but no fish for a few weeks :sad:

I spoke to a few of my mates who said it would be ok to put my goldfish in the tropical tank, i put him in there a few days ago and he looks really happy and his colour is alot brighter, as he had been in a tiny fishbowl which was from a funfair :blush:

Has anyone had any trouble with goldfish in their tripical tanks and if so the only option is to put him back in the tiny fishbowl :sad:

Andy

i ahve kept goldfish in tropical conditions for years the 1's i have now have been in that sort of conditions for around 5 yearsish will no problems , no illnesses and they seems extrea,ly happy

all i would say is even tho u have them in a much bigger tank now that still isnt really big enough keeping goldfish in tropical conditions speeds up the growth rate so they will get much bigger much quicker just somethink u should consider :)

and no a goldfish bowl is no way for a goldfish 2 live most dont have enough room for a singlr bllodworm never mind a goldfish

hope this helps :)

jen

goldfish can survive in a tropical tank but it shortens their life span, and by the sounds of it you havent cycled your tank so i would look at giving it to your lfs or something

if i were you, i wouldn't keep your goldfish in a tropical tank(depending on the temp) wats the temp?

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies, the temp is set at 72, which was the temp of the his goldfish bowl before.

I have checked out a few other posts, as normal there is conflicting information depending which one you read.

I would rather leave him in the aquarium, than back in the tiny fishbowl, either that or i'll have a chat with my LFS. next week.

Also i thought by puttin him in the aquarium it would help the cycling???

Yes it starts the cycling, but it isn't fair on the fish. You have effectively at this point put him into another bowl :sad: The filter is not yet biologicaly active, thus ammonia and nitrite are going to build-up and this will then poison him. Goldies are very heardy, and that tends to lead people to interntionaly abuse them by using them for cycling. They see it works and then surgest it to people like yourself, whom have not yet discovered fishless cycling; the propper way to do it :good: This is more humane as you add the ammonia manualy, without fish in the tank, and wait for the filter to mature. Then you get fish, about 4 weeks down the line, and all at once :nod:

Have a read of the fishless cycling thread at the top of this sub-forum for more details.

:hi: to tff
Rabbut

I currently have a fantail goldie in with my community fish.

He was a tiny goldfish that my son won at a fair 3 years ago, who was placed in a bowl, non dechlored water, no filter and the occassional water change (yes I am ashamed!) so when I started this tropical fish keeping malarky last year, I couldnt bear to see him in this little bowl and thought, OK, the bowl sits on the window sill in the kitchen, sun blazing on it in the summer, cant be any warmer than the trop tank, lets see how he goes.

Well OMG, this fish LOVES it, hes grown, his fins are so long, he is one happy little goldfish. He is in his element, so much space to swim around, never bothered the other fish, in fact Im sure he enjoys the company and no fish bothers him and I have tiger barbs in there too, who have no interest in his lovely long flowing fins.

Would I do it again, no, because I now know better and would never keep a fish in a bowl, so the problem wouldnt arise, would I recommend it, if the fish is in a tiny bowl and the tank mates are suitable, yes, go for it, just keep an eye on them, any trouble, remove fish and buy a larger tank for him!

I am prepared to be 'told off' now :D

I currently have a fantail goldie in with my community fish.

He was a tiny goldfish that my son won at a fair 3 years ago, who was placed in a bowl, non dechlored water, no filter and the occassional water change (yes I am ashamed!) so when I started this tropical fish keeping malarky last year, I couldnt bear to see him in this little bowl and thought, OK, the bowl sits on the window sill in the kitchen, sun blazing on it in the summer, cant be any warmer than the trop tank, lets see how he goes.

Well OMG, this fish LOVES it, hes grown, his fins are so long, he is one happy little goldfish. He is in his element, so much space to swim around, never bothered the other fish, in fact Im sure he enjoys the company and no fish bothers him and I have tiger barbs in there too, who have no interest in his lovely long flowing fins.

Would I do it again, no, because I now know better and would never keep a fish in a bowl, so the problem wouldnt arise, would I recommend it, if the fish is in a tiny bowl and the tank mates are suitable, yes, go for it, just keep an eye on them, any trouble, remove fish and buy a larger tank for him!

I am prepared to be 'told off' now :D

Hi,

Thanks again for the reply, I feel the same way, would rather see him in a aquarium rather than a bowl and the water quality is going to be better than a bowl, which like you i had sat on window sill with sun on it :blush:

I might have found a home for him anyway, so i will see how he goes once i put a few fish in. I am going to start off with a few danios and other small shoaling fish so it shouldn't be a problem ????

Since you really want to keep him in the tank I'd recommend doing a few things to help keep him healthier:

1) Purchase a liquid test kit for Ammonia and Nitrites. Liquid tests are more accurate than strips, and in the long run more economical.

2) Do daily tests to determine the Ammonia and Nitrite levels. Perform water changes any time the chemical levels rise above .25 ppm. Ammonia burns gills (potential causing life-long injury), and nitrites prevent oxygen from being carried by the blood stream.

3) Reduce feeding as much as possible, and also consider turning the heater off completely. Although nitrifying bacteria seems to do better in warmer water (up to high 80's), lower temps = a slower metabolism for the goldfish thus less waste products.

obviously the aquarium is better than having it in a little bowl, but the conditions are still not ideal. I would strongly urge you to do what Aphotic Phoenix reccommended.

Bear in mind, too that if keeping both Coldwater and Trops in the same tank, you can't give either fish the best conditions possible. Any Goldfish in a Trop tank will also add greatly to the strain on the filter, being some of the messiest fish around. Please reconsider; you want your fish to THRIVE, not just SURVIVE.

Hi again,

Thanks all again for your advise, i have found him a new home, but will have to wait till next week.

Don't like the sound of him eating anyone or makin a mess of the tank.

I will leave the tank cycle for another week, then i think i will add some danio's :good:

Andy

Please see [topic="113861"]this link[/topic] about fishless cycling, or yo may as well keep the goldie to cycle the tank :sad:

Leaving the tank for a week is not cycling it. When you add danios, they produce ammonia and at that point the cycle starts, as then ammonia starts to be added to the tank, thus subjecting them to ammonia and nitrite poisoning. At best, this permenantly shortens their life span, at worse, they will die in the cycle. Fishless cycling uses an artificial ammonia source to cycle the tank, thus avoiding the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning on the fish. IMO adding danios after a week would be animal cruelty. :no:

All the best
Rabbut

Hi again,

Thanks all again for your advise, i have found him a new home, but will have to wait till next week.

Don't like the sound of him eating anyone or makin a mess of the tank.

I will leave the tank cycle for another week, then i think i will add some danio's :good:

Andy

If you've found him a new home, maybe the new owner would let you have a bit of filter media in return; much better than exposing new fish to ammonia. Once their gills are burned, they won't heal.

Most reactions

Back