Goldfish Tank Size

snails could be ok... or could be eaten.
the first fishy thing i'm petitioning against is goldfish sold in fairs.
but before that, the grand national.

People do try and keep other fish with goldies, but it is rather fraught with hazards.

Most algae eaters, for instance, are really tropical fish, so you'd need to get a heater and raise the temperature. There are some that will live at lower temperatures (bristlenoses for instance) but it's not really ideal for them.

You could think about adding some of the more 'temperate tropicals', like platies, I suppose, but they might out compete the fancies for food; as you might have noticed, fancy goldfish aren't exactly the most streamlined, fastest swimmers in the world!

Then there's White Cloud mountain minnows (WCMM); they do do well in unheated tanks, but goldfish will eat them if they can catch them, and they soon learn to stay still and snatch the WCMM as they swim past :/

Personally, I've only kept goldfish with other goldfish and wouldn't try keeping anything else, but you have to weight up the pros and cons for yourself.

I think you'd be fine to add a lionhead; none of your varieties get terribly large.

Best of luck with the new tank; I hope you'll take some pics for us (we do love nosying at other people's tanks :blush: )

i will post some photos soon

some questions,

i have two butterfly pelcos in my 190 liter tank mixed with the other fancy goldies as discussed ealier and want to buy an extra celesticail eye goldfish and if possible another algea. is algea part of the liter per fish rule? so at the moment i have 2 and the shop keeper told me that the max they grow into is around 5-7 cm which is small. at the moment one of them is around 4 cm and the other probably 6 cm which i guess is its maximum growth
if algea is not part of the rule then i guess it is safe to add another one and also i may be ok to buy another goldfish thus having 4 fancy and 3 algea in a 190 liter tank ? is that too many in a tank ?

in regard to temperature, the shop keeper said it is fine to put them in cold water and googling revealed that they(algea) like a 20 to 25 c water temperature so i set the heater to 20c thus keeping the water at that level for them and all of the goldies

i know goldies prefer a colder water and 14 is the lowest and they will not eat at that temp so again looking at net some people suggest that they even enjoy 20 and above so using that i believe they will enjoy the 20c as opposed to 18 or 17 which is relatively cooler

thanks

my tank pic

9fqgeg.jpg

Algae eaters do count as part of the stocking. You'd be ok to add another one of those, but not the extra goldie.

I do have to warn you the butterfly plecs/hillstream loaches tend not to do well in 'standard' set ups. They need very fast flowing, highly oxygenated water, which your fancies won't appreciate. They can also be quite hard to feed, so you'll probably want to put some large, smooth pebbles in a bucket outside somewhere sunny (or in a jar on a sunny windowsill) to grow some algae on them. You can then rotate them into the tank and back out into the bucket. Or you could try feeding them on blanched vegetables, like lettuce or split broccoli stalks. Even then, you might still lose them :/

Your tank looks very nice; it's lovely to see your fish in such a proper sized tank, well done for doing the right thing for them :D

it was with help of you guys

thanks all

in regard to the algea, there are plenty of algea on the woods and seems like that it is more than enough for them, do you think the same?

it was with help of you guys

thanks all

in regard to the algea, there are plenty of algea on the woods and seems like that it is more than enough for them, do you think the same?

Hi,

Nice tank and cute fancys! I also have one fantail and two hillstream loaches in my rio tank, as regards to the feeding of hillstreams I think if you have enough algae growth on you rocks/wood/plants then they will happily eat them, You could probably add temperate danios to your tank as some also prefer unheated tanks (eg giant danios)
Here's a link to on of my hillstream loach eating : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqeH4HGKsN4

Most reactions

Back