Goldfish For A Ten Gallon Tank

To be honest its abit on the small side there will hardly be any room for the goldfish to move.
Plus they need excellent filters as they are massive waste producers.
Maybe some white cloud minnows.

no
goldfish grow huge and need atleast 30 gallon for one, and an extra 10 gallon per more goldfish.
the are heavy waste producers and need excellent filtration
keeping fish in small tanks just stunts their grown and slowly kills them

A very small common or fancy temporarily yes. Long term no. Fany will need 30 for the first fish and 10 more gallons for each fish. Commons will need a pond in the long run.

A very small common or fancy temporarily yes. Long term no. Fany will need 30 for the first fish and 10 more gallons for each fish. Commons will need a pond in the long run.

U can only have 1 goldfish in a 10 gal tank. The produce alot of waste. You must do alot of water changes and alway clean the filter.

I know a women who has a comet in a 10 gallon tank, this comet has grown to 10" :blink: She is now having to buy a bigger tank lol.

It is possible to keep a fantail type fish quite happily in a 10 gallon tank for a few years but filtration needs to be good and regular water changes.

As other people have already mentioned, you can keep one fancy (i.e.: double-tailed) goldfish in a 10G tank. However, it will most certainly need more room as it grows, so 20G for an adult fancy becomes the absolute bare minimum. You will also need a whole lot of filtration, regardless of tank size--at least 10x gal/hour in relation to the tank's volume. So for a 10G tank you need a filter that runs at at least 100 gal/hour.

(Btw, don't reference the tank in my sig for stocking. Right now I'm cycling another tank so that I can spread out my goldie group, and even with ample filtration on the current tank I'm doing 80% water changes 3 times a week to keep the water nice.)

I have a 20gal tank for my fancy and some minnows/danios. I run a Fluval 204 external filter (designed for 200l tanks!) and a Fluval 3+ as backup. You basically need to have good filtration. Goldfish produce a lot of waste. Much more than your average fish. As long as your filter can filter your tank, and perhaps 1/2 again or more you should be ok.

Also, its worth mentioning that you should really start off with a large tank. Goldfish can get stunted if they are in smaller tanks, and its not very nice for them.

Most reactions

Back