Golden Apple Snails

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
Just bought a couple, 1 for my big tank, 1 for the middle one

the one in the middle tank is out n about all the time, chomping on the algae happily, the one in the big tank is hiding all the time tho, not been out at all, water quality is all spot on so I dunno why, Ian say's he was out late last night so they might be nocturnal..... but the other one isn't? so are they or not?

I think it depends on the particular snail. I had 8 at one time and they were spred throughout 3 tanks. Some came out all the time and some didnt at first. After a while, they were all out all the time, or at the top of the water line sleeping or laying eggs. I put them in my mom's tank at school so the students could watch them and they are always out there too. I think it just takes them time to settle in.

cool thanks 8)

I purchased a Jade apple snail and had it for about 2 weeks then it stopped moving for about a week. It was out of the shell part of the way (the trap door wasn't shut). Other fish were pecking at it and when touching it's trap door, it didn't close, so I put in a small container with a small hole in it and a couple teaspoons of water. I though it was dead. It didn't move again for another week. Then I forgot about it until another week had ended (now 2 weeks).
Decide to remove the snail. There were little air bubbles, in what was left of the water. It didn't smell, so I decide to put the snail back in the tank. Two days latter it had moved and each day after it started moving more.
This has been about 2 months and now it's the biggest monster of a snail I have. I have over 40 apple snails in two tanks.

I have learned never give up on an a snail.

I want one at school. If I put it in the reception tropical tank are there going to be loads then? Head T eacher doesnt like anything that multiplies! ;)

If you only add one you should be fine. Some of the females can store sperm though, so you'll want to check the sides for eggs when feeding and scrap the eggs off if you don't want any more snails.

They are great little creatures. Mine seems to come out mostly in the evening but sometimes he ventures out during the day - guess it depends on how the mood takes him.

Love the big yellow golf ball!

:)

Most reactions

Back