Going To The Dark Side Possibly

i have book marked it (i wont be setting up till at least feb i just want to know as much as possible before i set it up

i have book marked it (i wont be setting up till at least feb i just want to know as much as possible before i set it up

Good that is the best way to be, have you read any books yet?

@Walkers101 - NO NEMS for a first marine tank. Especially that size. NO, NO, NO, NO!!! Bad walkers101 for thinking nemmy thoughts. :) I'm teasing you, but seriously I don't recommend nems.

If you can find an HOB, you'll love making a refugium out of it. It's awesome. So much cheaper than to buy one. So, you have an RO unit then?

I know ALW, the rep is looking it up for me... but it works...

I have sold it to numerous people and used it myself. Used it to cycle my Fluval Edge, recently used it to cycle the Kent Marine tank but with some mature water.

I sold someone a Roma 125 with EFX 300 filter, sand, liverock, salted RO and a tube of the Evo Aqua Bio Balls and i tested their water every day and we could watch the cycle... on day 6 was added ammonia and it cycled through in so little time it was surprising. (they live right near the shop i used to work in so was easy to test).

So in 6-7 days the tank was completely cycled and its been running about 5-6 months now and they have never had a blip with water, tank is heavily stocked too.

Might be worth finding a shop that sells Salted RO to help setup your tank, it costs the same as buying RO and adding salt yourself.

Generally about £7.50 for 25L of Salted RO...

Yeah, look it up, MBOU, cause honesty, I don't put any stuff like that in my tanks. Sheesh, I don't even use Carbon or Purigen or Phosban. I hate putting stuff in my tank that's all chemicallyee. It's cool that it worked for you, though.

A tank with live rock wont cycle, the rock is already live!

Unless the rock is uncured and there is then die-off and there is a cycling process. Also, if one took too long to transport cured rock from one location to another then there is also die-off, which triggers a mini cycle. I think it comes down to what we define as LR, in the US there is also the distinction as to whether LR is cured or not. Both are LR in the literature I've read.

You got your own Reverse Osmosis unit then? Sorry if you mentioned it lol

No, idea, rock was added 2 or 3 days after the water and pure balls. Went through the nitrogen cycle. Whether it is meant to or not. Same as my Kent tank has done.

So you experienced a nitrogen cycle then? If I experienced one in my picos I wouldn't know, as I deliberately didn't test during the process, why bother? Just let it go through the process. When I saw diatoms, then I tested.

Now, my 36g went through the nitrogen cycle, but that tank was weird and I think there was a piece or two of LR in there that wasn't cured, though the LFS said it was.

no i dont own one just yet but buying one nearer the time will not be an issue

i have read books in the past and my dad also kept a 5ft reef tank successfully when i was younger so i have his experience to draw on if i need to (he says dont do it :D)

no i dont own one just yet but buying one nearer the time will not be an issue

i have read books in the past and my dad also kept a 5ft reef tank successfully when i was younger so i have his experience to draw on if i need to (he says dont do it :D)

And I'm still saying NO, NO buy nemmy, not for little tank like that. Only maybe a maxi mini, and those have their own requirements

L

I dont know if you know from my tropical escapades but i do listen so if nem nems are out of the question then so be it i will move on to the next ;)

I dont know if you know from my tropical escapades but i do listen so if nem nems are out of the question then so be it i will move on to the next ;)

nem nems are out of the question, at least for this first system. ;)

Nems need a tank that has matured for at least 6 months as well as being big enough to house them. 200L minimum really.

I finally added a RBTA yesterday, and one of my Cinnamon clowns is in it already. Amazing to watch, but don't put these beautiful animals into unsuitable tanks :(

There are plenty of other things you can keep in a 60L :) Personally, I'd say that's too small for a mini maxi as well, but depends what else you have in there really. If it were the focal point with only a few other bits, then yes, probably OK. But again, they do need a mature tank.

Most reactions

Back