Going To College

somethinfishy

Reaction score
I'm going to college next fall, and I am allowed to have fish. However, I can only have a 5g (and under) and it cannot have a heater. I was wondering what my options were - I know bettas (which I do like) but I just wondering what else I could have. And tank suggestions would be great :)

sorry to hear that, maybe they would like to ban "crossing the road" too for safety reasons LOL or in fact they could simpy ban "getting out of bed in the morning" LOL

so 5 gallon, thats about 22 litres, umm..... white cloud minnows? 22 litres is a bit small for any goldfish type fish i think

hm I like the idea of paradise fish - just one or a pair?
guppies wouldn't be bad either - I thought they weren't very hardy though :/

alright, a betta it is :) Any tank recomendations? Like a certain model or anything?

Heck, if I were you I would get the 5 gallon and get a submersible heater and hide it behind some plants or something, then you wouldn't be so limited, but you are probably the obedient type... good job :) If I had to do a cold water 5 gal, betta would be the way to go, some loaches (weather loaches:Misgurnis anguillicaudatus) live in the temperate climates (they have been introduced in some places in the US and Canada, though they are originally from asia) and dont need a heater. But they might actually outgrow a 5 gal pretty quick. I also heard danios do great in colder water, but I just heard that, so some more research would be in order about danios, I've only kept mine at tropical temps.

Don't get a betta if you can't get a heater. They need water that will stay around 78-80F.. and with no heater, you're not going to be able to keep the water at a constant temp... specially one that they should have.

Don't get danios either. Even though they're small, they're VERY active fish that need alot of swimming room.

I agree with Amunet. A Betta needs to be kept at warmer temperatures, so without a heater he'll suffer.

Most reactions

Back