Going Eheim

PoPoV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
From what I hear most of the users on here are Fluval users? Iv mostly used Hanging Bio weels, My las one being a penguin 350 on my 55g tank. My store pushes the Eheim canisters pretty hard, but we have had nothing but good news and reviews from customers. I met the rep for Eheim a couple days ago and got a good deal on a 2028 pro II . Ill admit its a nice filter, Iv never had anything this nice. But I dont see what all the hype is about. What filters do you guys use? what do you think about them? how do they match up to the compatition? Just wondering since im not rich enough to try them all out :good:

eheim are the rolls royce of filters imo and built to last
every model ive owned has done a great job

i have 2 fluval and 2 eheim filters, to be honest i like the eheim filters more, however i find the fluval ones slightly quieter. :)

ive never had a fluval but ive heard a few horror stories (from andy, cfc and other people) of them breaking after a couple of years and dumping the tanks water all over the carpet.

Last week i bought myself an eheim pro 2224, havent set it up yet, will be doing so next week so i'll soon be finding out just how good it is :shifty: Im expecting great things :good:

I have fluvals and love them, never had a problem. For power filters I wouldn't go with anything but aqua clear's they run for ever, and they give you extra options for different media, something I haven't seen in other HOBs.

I have an eheim 2126 (the thermo one). It's fab, but then it's the only external I have ever owned so I can't really compare it to another.

I recently got a Eheim 2324 thermo and the canister was cracked got it replaced then it leaked everywhere ! but I have 2 2224's and they are great , very quiet and easier to clean/maintain than my fluval 305.

i have 2 never had any problems with them even though i have heard of a few.

In my opinion, Eheims are very overpriced (2-3 times higher than other brands at least!)

But people do like them because they are very durable.

For a durable HOB filter, you can try Hagen Aquaclears. I know some people who have been running the same aquaclear filters for more than 20 years nonstop.

Try and find people who have owned both Fluval and Eheim cannisters. I am willing to bet a fair amount that the majority are far happier with their eheims than their Fluvals.

As to price, Eheims run forever. Many run well past 10 years (as a thread on MFK shows), so while they may cost more at the start, they don't need replacing (unlike fluvals which have a habit of failing around the 2 year mark). In my experience, an Eheim may cost 2-3 times more than a Fluval, but it lasts 5 times as long, so it ends up cheaper in the long run.

I have only had a few canisters myself, but they've all been eheims. Ive also worked in a fish store for a few years now and have heard countless horror stories of fluvals including one of the o-ring cracking causing a 210us g tank to empty...

Ehiems truly are the ultimate canister. As for HOBs, aquaclear filters are excellent for their custom media options as well as being able to use generic media in bulk vs pre-packed cartridges. I would however recommend the marine land biowheel filters for a HOB

I really think that it is the UK factory that screws up Fluvals. I have never heard anything bad about them exept on UK forums.

I have both tried Ehiem and Fluval...I go for Fluval.

I have had a Fluval canister for about 7 years now. No problems at all.

I have heard very good things about Eheims too. My next canister will be Eheim, but only so i can see for myself. :good:

Most reactions

Back