Gobies sitting on top of floaters?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Heathersimn

Reaction score
My gobies are sitting on top of the floaters. All 3 are doing this. Is this something that’s normal for gobies? I have never seen it before. They are pretty much out of water.

Attachments

• 8C803F1D-037E-4A9C-ABD2-E5C71B06FDBB.jpeg
    8C803F1D-037E-4A9C-ABD2-E5C71B06FDBB.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 77
  • F60E51DF-BD45-43AB-BB27-7D6ECB7A0C85.jpeg
    F60E51DF-BD45-43AB-BB27-7D6ECB7A0C85.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 72
I don't know about what species of goby you have but some gobies have the ability to at least partially breath air and climb out of the water. Mine doesn't though :(

That reminds me of when I was at Geraldton fishing at night. It was a full moon and I was looking for fish for my tank while dad was catching fish to eat. I looked around and went to get some water and these things moved on the rocks. I shone my torch on them and there were blue spotted blennies moonbaking on the rocks. It was night time so they weren't sunbaking, it was a full moon and these blennies were laying on their backs, out of water, on rocks. As I approached them they rolled over and hopped into the water. If I stepped back and waited, they hopped back out of the water and lay on their backs again. It was the most unusual thing I have ever seen fish do and absolutely hilarious to watch. It was like watching people on deck chairs laying out in the sun by a pool, except it was fish on rocks out of water.

I would say it's a normal goby thing. I do not have floaters in my tank however occasionally see my gobies on side of tank with half of their bodies out of the water.

That reminds me of when I was at Geraldton fishing at night. It was a full moon and I was looking for fish for my tank while dad was catching fish to eat. I looked around and went to get some water and these things moved on the rocks. I shone my torch on them and there were blue spotted blennies moonbaking on the rocks. It was night time so they weren't sunbaking, it was a full moon and these blennies were laying on their backs, out of water, on rocks. As I approached them they rolled over and hopped into the water. If I stepped back and waited, they hopped back out of the water and lay on their backs again. It was the most unusual thing I have ever seen fish do and absolutely hilarious to watch. It was like watching people on deck chairs laying out in the sun by a pool, except it was fish on rocks out of water.
That sounds really awesome to see!

I would say it's a normal goby thing. I do not have floaters in my tank however occasionally see my gobies on side of tank with half of their bodies out of the water.
Saw your goldfish avatar. Is that actually one of yours? Pretty! I was wondering because I'm looking for a gold fish like that. It's hard to find a fancy fantail that isn't one of the really different varieties. I have a small porch pond looking for some tranquil swimmers. :)

Most reactions

Back