Go Bigger Or Go More?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

satrop

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I was cleaning my 10Gal tank the other day, annnnnd, I dropped it. Belgium bummer! The plan was to take this and make it a nano tank for shrimp. So that idea was canned. Now here comes the next game plan that I need help with.

If you had $150/$200 to spare and the option of upgrading to a 20Gal for ONLY $50 including hood, lights and filter, taking the remaining $100/$150 to get a heater, hardscape and plants. Which would be a bit tight. Or! Take the current 10Gal get much better hardscaping and more plants?

I could even forgo getting my iPad and have $500 to splash but I don't think I can live much longer without my iPad. LOL.

20Gal upgrade with lower budget for plants and hardscaping or

Upgrade the hardscaping and mush more plants in the current 10Gal.

Hrm, well do you still just want to do shrimp, or did you have certain fish in mind?
If you just want the shrimp, or the fish you want are fine in a 10g, then it may be better to go with that. But if you want fish that are more suited to a 20g, then I'd go with that, and you can get better plants and whatnot later.

IMO the 20 would be better, you have more room to mess around with and as time goes on, you'll get money, therefore although you will have less plants/hardscape to start with, you'll gradually be able to build it up! It also gives you something for your to work towards.

Just my opinion, its up to you in the end. :)

Nice to have other peoples perspective on this.

Didn't even think about the gradual build up of things. Being of the generation that always needs something yesterday but ever trying to re-educatate myself the importance of "slowly slowly".

Thank you for pointing out what should have be very obvious. LOL. Off to get the 20Gal tank I away. And slowly build it up.

Thanks for the help peeps!

You're welcome :)

Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of your 20G! Hope you'll do a journal!

Most reactions

Back