Glowlight Tetras Not Eating?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Howard0

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I just got a 10 gallon tank. 90gph filter with a 50w heater. I stuck in 2 plastic plants, about an inch and a half of gravel at the bottom and one of those tribble moss ball things. I added dechlorinator, let the aquarium run for about a day, then went and got 3 glowlights. I put the bag in the water for about 20 minutes, then scooped the fish out of the bag with a net and ploped them in the water. Waited a day and tried feeding them flakes.

The problem is they don't actually eat the flakes. Some are too big and when I crush them up into more manageable sizes, the fish ignore them completely. I've also tried pellet food much to the same effect. Tried again yesterday and today, still nothing.

I've been doing ~10% water changes per day just to get rid of the excess food at the bottom.

The three tetras kind of just hang out in a group near the lower half of the tank.

Any ideas?

i think it might be because you don't have any good bacteria in your tank. Fish need bacteria in their tank. Try not water changing them for a while, only 3 tetras won't make that much of a mess. And it may be that they havn't settled in to their new home yet. Tetras also like to be in bigger groups to make them feel more comfortable, 6-8 tetras is normally a good number. Hope that helps.

Believe your tank is not cycled at all.

Have a read of this to help you out first of all

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Also you did not acclimatised your fish at all. Amazing they are still around to be honest.

If I were you, I'd return the fish to the place where you got them from or re-home them and start doing a fishless cycle following that link I gave above. Once cycle is completed then research what fish and how many are suitable for a 10 gallon tank. 

Your tetras are not eating and not moving much because they are completely stressed out. 
confused.gif

Returning them isn't really an option as the petsmart I got them from is almost 10 miles away.

They provided me with 2 bacteria samples. I was told to put one in.
The person working at the fish area also took what looked like a really dirty filter, scraped some goop off and told me to put that in my aquarium.
He told me it would help me set up my aquarium.

Should I put the other bacteria sample in? They're like little packets.

The tank has also started to become a little cloudy and is giving off a weird smell. The tetras are swimming from one end to the other but still not eating.

Is there anything else I can do? I've started doing 10% water changes every 3 hours now.

stop doing water changes, put the bacteria from what was given to you from the guy into your filter to allow it to help cycling it. and read the link that was posted above on how to proceed with the fish in cycle tank.

Most reactions

Back