Glow light tetra emergency!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AiresCosta

Reaction score
A bit of background. Me and my mother have fish tanks. She knows nothing about fish and makes me take care of hers for her. She has a 15gal tank with 11 glow light tetra. I have a 20gal tank with 2 bristlenose plec babies (I’m upgrading soon)
This morning she complained one of her tetras were missing so I checked the tank and saw it pressed up against the filter. I carefully removed it and realised it was still (barely) alive
I placed it into a hospital tank (with water taken from his own tank) and noticed his whole back tail fin was missing. So I contacted a friend who has been fish keeping for over 10 years and she suggested a salt bath. I did a 15 minute salt bath at 1tbsp per 2 gal. I’m wondering if the little guy will be okay. He’s sinking. Barely moving. And has his head to the floor of the tank at almost a 90 degree angle.
I really wanna save him :( my mother says just flush him but I think that’s just cruel and want to do what I can to help him.
Also need to find out why his tail was gone?? Any help guys!

Follow @Colin_T 's recommendations re: Salt Bath, if that is indicated. He is in Western Oz so standby for his advice.

In the meantime ...
Pics of the patient and water parameters (from both tanks) will be useful for diagnosis and recommendations.

All the levels are normal in my mother's tank except nitrites which are abnormally high. I have been performing the usual water changes every week as per friends reccomendation. 25% with stress coat added. My tank is fine with everything. All ammonia. Nitrites, nitrates and pH are in normal levels. Her tank is quite new so I'm thinking the cycling wasn't quite done before the fish were introduced. I tried to make her wait minimum 3 weeks but she went to the pet shop and they said "it will be fine throw em in they will be sweet" and brought fish against my reccomendations one week into cycling.
16416077251463673991553697375030.jpg

Oh dear, nitrites are WAY too high, do a 75-80% change ASAP. I'm a mid-be, but I know that is bad. Nitrites and Ammonia should be 0.0

With all due respect, Mum was wrong on this one.

Also check daily and try to keep Ammonia and Nitrites at zero, make sure to use water conditioner. Many here recommend not using Stress Coat (contains Aloe Vera), but if that is what you have, fresh conditioned water is better than none.

My friend told me If I do a huge water change rn it will shock my fish and they could die so I just did a 25% and I'm gonna do another 25% tomorrow and the day after another 25%
I also added quick start since it has nitrifying qualities

Those look better for Nitrite, but Ammonia is still too high, I was under the impression (experts, please correct me if I'm wrong) that the large changes pertain to Nitrates due to osmotic shock risks (try to reduce at a maximum of 50 ppm/day). Nitrates, while toxic, are not near as bad as Ammonia and Nitrite so it is not an urgent risk.

Yeah my ammonia is high because I havnt done my weekly water change. I was about to do it those are my before readings.

And I think my friend was more worried about shock because my water comes from a creek and is less than 20 degrees in temperature. My tanks over 26

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Your mum's tank has a high nitrite reading and that is probably why the glowlight tetra is dying. The tail might have been damaged when it was sucked up against the filter intake. The fish got sucked onto the filter intake because it is being poisoned and may not live.

Your tank has an ammonia reading, which would suggest the filter hasn't been cycled properly, or you are over feeding, or you replace filter media when you clean the filter.

You can do large water changes as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine, and it has a similar chemistry (GH, KH & pH) and temperature to that tank water. The temperature doesn't have to be exactly the same and it's fine if it is a couple of degrees cooler or warmer. But the pH, GH & KH should be similar or the same as the tank. If you do regular water changes (once a week) then the tank water chemistry should be similar to the water supply.

-------------------
AMMONIA & NITRITE LEVELS
You need to keep ammonia and nitrite levels on 0ppm at all times, and nitrates below 20ppm. If you ever get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0ppm. The fish are more likely to die from ammonia or nitrite poisoning than from a big water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If you have concerns about the river water's temperature, fill up some buckets and bring them inside. Leave them to sit near the tank for 24 hours and they will warm up to room temperature. That should get the water temperature closer to the tank's temperature.

You can also boil some tap/ river water and add some boiled water to a bucket of water to raise the temperature.

-------------------
FILTERS
What sort of filters do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filters?

If you have filters that contain filter pads/ cartridges, do not replace these pads unless they are falling apart. Companies that sell these types of filter are stealing your money by telling you to replace the filter pads every month. That is bad for the fish because you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria living in and on the filter media/ materials and that bacteria keeps the ammonia and nitrite levels on 0ppm. If you replace the pads with new ones, you get rid of the good bacteria and you get ammonia and or nitrite readings that can kill the fish.

If you have filter pads, buy a sponge for a different brand of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut the sponge to fit in your filter. Sponges last for 10+ years and only need replacing when they start to fall apart. I use AquaClear sponges but there are other brands that work just as well.

To clean sponges, simply get a bucket of water from the aquarium and squeeze the sponge out in the bucket of water. If the sponge is really dirty, squeeze it out in a second bucket of tank water. When the sponge is clean, put it back in the filter and tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

-------------------
WATER DILUTION RATIOS
Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

If you have a water quality issue, you need to fix it asap and the best way is with big daily water changes. In extreme cases you can change 90-100% of the water.

Wow hecc that's alot. I'll try to answer as much as I can.
I know the ammonia levels are from slightly overfeeding my plecos. I have been noticing them leaving alot of food but that's because they are new and I havnt adjusted to the correct ammount of food to give them yet. I took them all the way down to 1/4 of a algae wafer at night but there's a huge mess to clean up in the morning and they never eat all of it.
I'll do a 75% water change as soon as I can. The other fish are fine it's just this one that's sick. They arnt acting out at all.
My tanks ammonia has gone down since my water change today. I'll send a photo after I do another test.
We have sponges in our filters. I have only cleaned them once. My mums is alot smaller so tends to get really filthy fast. I clean hers just under once a month (I think every 2-1/2 to 3 weeks) just because it gets so full it starts oozing out of the filter. Mine hasn't had it's first clean since I put the fish in. It's a huge filter with 4 sponges.
I did a 75% change on my tank today to get rid of the ammonia. I need to figure out how much to feed my little guys but it's so hard to judge 😂

I'm a new fish keeper and alot of the pros are probibly going "ugh another novice that knows nothing and does everything wrong" but I'm really trying lol.
I love my fishy babies and I'm doing everything to make sure they have the best life ever.
If I'm doing anything wrong I would really love some feedback and help so I can make my tank the greatest place for my little guys to live. And give them the best quality of life

I'm a new fish keeper and a lot of the pros are probably going "ugh another novice that knows nothing and does everything wrong" but I'm really trying lol.
Most of the people on here will not be thinking that. We were all beginners at one point in time and we all go through the same mistakes. The more seasoned fish keepers try to steer people in the right direction so you don't make the same mistakes we did. The fact you came here asking for help, shows you care about your fish :)

When it comes to feeding fish, if in doubt, feed less. Fish don't need as much food as people or other land animals and if there is food left over in the morning, try feeding once every second day.

Make sure you have some driftwood and algae for the suckermouth catfish. They need it to help their digestion.

Last edited:
Put some vegs in for the BN's that won't immediately pollute the water. Young BN's also need protein to (out)grow.

Ugrading soon? How soon is soon?

If fish are poisoned by a certain compound in the water the last I'd worry about is shock by a huge waterchange. In emergencycases that is the first thing to do and safe fish.

What did you meant to treat with salt in this case btw ?

Most reactions

Back