Glofish

JenJ

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Wow. Just googled glofish having seen them mentioned in a thread on here, and saw it's even used as a brand name!

With marketing like this, who can blame ignorant beginners for wanting 'pretty' fish.

http://www.glofish.com/

Interesting to note they are banned in California.

Hopefully that ban will soon spread, as I can't see demand decreasing for ethical reasons when they are marketed like this :(

Wow. I saw tiger barbs and skirt tetras, and were those danios?? I know they inject dyes into many fish, but this website talks about adding a gene. Really? 
huh.png

This Old Spouse said:
Wow. I saw tiger barbs and skirt tetras, and were those danios?? I know they inject dyes into many fish, but this website talks about adding a gene. Really? 
huh.png

Whenever i see the word 'Glofish' my mind always jumps to GM Zebra Danios....

Exactly. There are so many beautiful species, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Tuxyu3 said:
huh.png

Whenever i see the word 'Glofish' my mind always jumps to GM Zebra Danios....
That's what kicked off my google search - I had no idea fish other than zebra danios were used. I'm actually more shocked now than I was when I found the site.

Does anyone know the legalities of selling or 'manufacturing' (can't bring myself to say breeding) these fish? It seems to be legal in the US in all but California. Does anyone know about the situation in the UK and other countries?

I work in a fish store and all the time on our suppliers list do I see glolight tetras, glolight danios etc. I've had my suspicions and always try to deter customers for ordering them. Can anybody confirm that they are the fish I think they are? I'm based in the UK.

tomtomtom1230 said:
I work in a fish store and all the time on our suppliers list do I see glolight tetras, glolight danios etc. I've had my suspicions and always try to deter customers for ordering them. Can anybody confirm that they are the fish I think they are? I'm based in the UK.
Glowlight tetras are a natural species. Not sure about glolight danios. I would wonder if they are glofish, as the name glofish most commonly seems to refer to GM danios.

No - glowlight danios are a species

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/330347-glow-light-danio/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/230245-glowlight-danio/

lol. Glowlight tetras are natural. I agree that the natural variants look better than ones that have selectively bred and/or Genetically modified.

Did anyone else compare the pictures in post #8 on that thread and think the glolight danios looked much more attractive than the glofish, even setting ethics aside?

JenJ said:
Glowlight tetras are a natural species. Not sure about glolight danios. I would wonder if they are glofish, as the name glofish most commonly seems to refer to GM danios.

No - glowlight danios are a species

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/330347-glow-light-danio/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/230245-glowlight-danio/

TallTree01 said:
lol. Glowlight tetras are natural. I agree that the natural variants look better than ones that have selectively bred and/or Genetically modified.

Good ;) I'm unsure on the law in the UK on GM fish actually. It would have to be something I look up, although I'd never condone it.

GM fish are also banned in the UK.

I believe the tetras are a recent addition to the manufacturing range - I only found out about them a couple of weeks ago, when someone was talking about an all-tetra tank, and she said she had Glofish(R) tetras. I assumed she'd got it wrong, told her so, she was adamant, so I went onto Glofish(R)'s site, and there they were. Tiger Barbs too, now? Sheesh....

TomTom, as others have said, both Glowlight Tetras and Glowlight Danios are 100% natural.

I'm in CA and I've seen glowlight tetras for sale but never glowlight danios or glolights/glofish.

dsc45961_by_dreamertk-d624m4b.jpg

In fairness to the company (and perhaps to protect the site from any legal action from them), I've added their "ethics" and "science" section of the website to this post.

Glofish Ethics
Glofish Science

I ask that before anyone indicts the company on charges of abuse, etc. that they have a read through both sections before casting judgement.  It may be a lot to ask, but speaking in ignorance of the subject based on your perceptions is dangerous (and potentially libelous for this site).

With that said, how many fish die in transit from wild sources as they come into the aquatics trade?  Are those fish any less valuable than the ones "sacrificed" in the name of science?  If not, then I think we all have blood on our hands. 

Of course, then there is the entire gene modification debate - is it ethical?
HIV virus used to cure cancer?

This is far from a black and white issue.

I fully support genetic modification for the betterment of society. I don't support the manufacture of fish purely for profit.

This view is my own and does not necessarily reflect that of the owners, admin or other moderators of this forum.

Most reactions

Back