*-Glofish Tetra red mark on top fin

Losman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a glofish tetra with 2 red/brown marks on his top fin and no where else. He has been in a QT tank since April. Have used, Api Melafix, Seachem Paraguard, and now he is on PraziPro and Seachem stress guard. Will be 2 months on 6/26/20. He eats, and swims fine. Has gained weight in QT. Marks have not gone.
Tank water is from my main display tank.

Attachments

• DDA9630E-4EDF-470A-9FAE-EFB1E777E740.jpeg
    DDA9630E-4EDF-470A-9FAE-EFB1E777E740.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 152
Glofish tetras are the white skirt tetra, which are the leucistic form of black skirts (meaning reduced pigment rather than totally lacking). The odd individual will have random dark "freckles" where the normal pigment of the natural form shows through.

I have a white skirt with a freckle, I've seen a few others in store the same, including a glofish blue. The pigment shows as a dark spot on the glofish as well.

My skirt with the freckle, the day i brought him home.
20200104_111019.jpg

Its totally random and can show as a blotch or a few small flecks like yours. Not a disease or injury :)

Hello NCaquatics,

Thank you so much for responding. That sounds amazing! You put my mind at ease and I will return Sunny to his family. Really appreciate the detailed description you gave!!

Hello NCaquatics,

Thank you so much for responding. That sounds amazing! You put my mind at ease and I will return Sunny to his family. Really appreciate the detailed description you gave!!

@NCaquatics good information, I have had several different types of tetra but did not know that. I have stayed away from the glofish tetra. I think the normal tetras are pretty enough. Wish they would improve their genetics to make them hardier instead of just their colors. @Losman Hello and welcome to the forum.

@NCaquatics good information, I have had several different types of tetra but did not know that. I have stayed away from the glofish tetra. I think the normal tetras are pretty enough. Wish they would improve their genetics to make them hardier instead of just their colors. @Losman Hello and welcome to the forum.
Great info from NCaquatics!!! Thank you Retired King. My wife fell in love with them. So we brought them home. I agree, the normal ones are pretty enough. NC’s looks so cool. I lost one in February which made me feel horrible, but the rest have been thriving.

Tetra come from South American jungle streams so it is good to have dark gravel and shade from floating plants or dim the tank lights. That will lessen their stress. Here is a picture of my planted tetra tank which I call The Sunken Forest. The plants that are floating and making the arch is anacharis. I currently have neon, glow light, ember and red eye tetras in it.

Attachments

• GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 83
Skirt tetras love dense plants. Offer a lot of tall plants to help them hide if they bicker, as they frequently dispute rank. They are very neat tetras. Normal, white, glo, they will shoal together. I got a mix lol

Anacharis is a really really good plant. Id opt for some other plants that are tall and dense. Crypts, anubias, java fern... these would be nice too.

Chain sword plants if you got a smaller (less than 40g) tank.

Most reactions

Back