Glofish, Ich or velvet?

anitaverde

Reaction score
I'm a newly fish lover, I have a 3 gallons tank with 2 glofish tetra. I plan to upgrade to a 10 gallon tank soon, but the issue is, they are 7 days old fish from petsmart (they never told me they are schooling fish and that probably one was going to bully the other-_-).
I notice small white dots in the fins. Since they have these bright colors I don't know if it is ick or velvet, they seem to have like a milky coat around the fins, that I don't know if it is natural because the salt I used or not. I started with ick treatment, removed carbon from the filter, temperature it is at 83.5 and used salt plus super ick cure, neon lights off. I did today the second treatment after 48 hours. They are eating very good, they always know when is time to eat and they do it. One is green and the other orange, from starters the green one is bulling the orange but I manage to keep them apart to eat. My doubt is, this is the 7th day of the tank running, I have to do a water change on Thrusday after ick treatment, or I have to wait until the 15th day. My tank is not cycled yet, of course, and I'm scared fo them, it could be too much since they are dealing with ick/velvet? I'm very confuse...
I want to be sure that they are ok, then I want o buy a 10 gallon tank and have it running without fish for 15 days, how many and what kind you can suggest me to have?
20200609_183537.jpg
20200609_183643 (1).jpg
20200609_183900.jpg

This is ich. Turn the temp up to 86 degrees for 2 weeks.

Yes they are a shoaling fish. A 10 gallon will also be too small I'm afraid. Try to either return the fish or get a 20 gallon instead

This is ich. Turn the temp up to 86 degrees for 2 weeks.

Yes they are a shoaling fish. A 10 gallon will also be too small I'm afraid. Try to either return the fish or get a 20 gallon instead
I adopted 4 recently from someone who had in 5gal with other fish. I quarantined, medicated and then let them go in my 55gal with neon and silver tip tetra schools. Now swimming like crazy and playing with each other.

They get quite large compared to most tetra so 20gal minimum and 6 minimum group would be my suggestion.

Thank you, I'll do it. If my little guys survive, can they school with cardinals or neon tetras? Or have to be glo tetras. Any other suggestion?. They are miserable right now, people says that ich gets worse before improves, it that's right?. I'm being medicating them with super ick cure since last Sunday, today they are worse than ever...Tomorrow I have to do a water change, cleaning gravel and medication again.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll do it. If my little guys survive can they school with cardinals or neon tetras? Or have to be glo tetras
They are skirt tetras. Any black or white skirts will shoal with them but no other species of tetra will

Thank you, I'll do it. If my little guys survive, can they school with cardinals or neon tetras? Or have to be glo tetras. Any other suggestion?. They are miserable right now, people says that ich gets worse before improves, it that's right?. I'm being medicating them with super ick cure since last Sunday, today they are worse than ever...Tomorrow I have to do a water change, cleaning gravel and medication again.
This is the med treatment i give TO ALL NEW fish I get pic below. I just got 6 juli Cory like 10min ago. I'm putting in 10gal in my kids room to medicate . even though they look healthy. I run slightly modified medication doses to package.

When you adopt a dog from pound you give it like 10 shots to make sure healthy to come home. Why we don't do that more to fish IDK.

As far as schooling. I wouldn't buy glow fish so i have the 4 I have and they mingle some with others but mainly lets get em healthy first.

This is a lot I ordered from aquarium co-op.

Attachments

• 20200610_133144.jpg
    20200610_133144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
This is the med treatment i give TO ALL NEW fish I get pic below. I just got 6 juli Cory like 10min ago. I'm putting in 10gal in my kids room to medicate . even though they look healthy. I run slightly modified medication doses to package.

When you adopt a dog from pound you give it like 10 shots to make sure healthy to come home. Why we don't do that more to fish IDK.

As far as schooling. I wouldn't buy glow fish so i have the 4 I have and they mingle some with others but mainly lets get em healthy first.

This is a lot I ordered from aquarium co-op.
Thank you so much for the information, my biggest regret is not research all of this first I bought them. For sure I'm going to buy a 20 gallon tank, but first I want my babies goes through this. I'm using API General Care too in case, they are swimming and eating well, twice a day but a very small amount (what they can eat in a minute). Today they seem to be more itchy, flashing and scratching against the plants. Poor, is all my fault..I should know better...
The tank temperature is 84, I don't have a heater because it is pretty hot right now in Texas, my air it is set to 80, so the tank temperature gets to 84 easily. Tomorrow is Super Ick cure time again, water change and cleaning gravel, I plan to do 1 gallon water change, it is 33% of the water, it is too much?
Plus water it is very cloudy, I suspect because of bacteria bloom, salt, medication etc. Sometimes I feel it is too much for them. They spend the day swimming around and hiding sometimes, the orange under the wing of a plane ornament and the other one in a barrel hole, but they're eating very well.
I will let you know how they are going and, of course, I will appreciate any advice when I'll set up the new tank.

Thank you so much for the information, my biggest regret is not research all of this first I bought them. For sure I'm going to buy a 20 gallon tank, but first I want my babies goes through this. I'm using API General Care too in case, they are swimming and eating well, twice a day but a very small amount (what they can eat in a minute). Today they seem to be more itchy, flashing and scratching against the plants. Poor, is all my fault..I should know better...
The tank temperature is 84, I don't have a heater because it is pretty hot right now in Texas, my air it is set to 80, so the tank temperature gets to 84 easily. Tomorrow is Super Ick cure time again, water change and cleaning gravel, I plan to do 1 gallon water change, it is 33% of the water, it is too much?
Plus water it is very cloudy, I suspect because of bacteria bloom, salt, medication etc. Sometimes I feel it is too much for them. They spend the day swimming around and hiding sometimes, the orange under the wing of a plane ornament and the other one in a barrel hole, but they're eating very well.
I will let you know how they are going and, of course, I will appreciate any advice when I'll set up the new tank.
At 84 the life cycle will speed up and get worse, you need it to be 86 to kill it

Your temp is fine. I use ich meds not temp like others. BOTH work.
Don't worry about how much they eat. When I give fish meds I don't feed for like 2 days. They may be trying to pass parasites or get over infection.

You don't eat a lot when sick. Neither do fish.

Meds will make water cloudy. As will BB bloom. BOTH don't worry about right now.

A 33% water change every 3 days is . Remember your diluting meds when you do waterchange that is why packs say re dose over week.

When I have cycled tank and quarantine. Like now with my corys (pic below) I don't change water or ad more meds. One dose all week because stays in water. . unless I see spike in a sickness I know for use I may dose again for that one only.

Don't overmedicate.

Attachments

• 20200610_164616.jpg
    20200610_164616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
So I did a 30% water change today, so far so good, they are doing ok. The syphoning was a little tricky, it was my first time, I don't think I did it very well:look:. It is ok to do them every 2 days?, because is when the medicine says I have to do it, and then start again with the treatment to complete 2 weeks. My heater is on its way, I chose one adjustable from 60 yo 93. After the second treatment I'll continue with heat and salt. Other question, I tried to remove 1 gallon +-, I added a teaspoon of salt for that gallon, is ok like that?. So far they still alive and eating well, green was less hungry this morning, spiting out the food, but now he is -_-, watching for food everywhere! ohhh boy! until 8:30 pm nothing.

Updating, my little boys? They are doing much better, I did a schedule so I don't miss a thing. Every two days, I do a water change 30%, conditioner, start quick and medication. Today, they are much, much better almost all the spots are gone, but I'll continue until I can not see one and 10 more days after that. Now, I feed them every other day, they were very lethargic and not interested at all in the flakes, so I have pellets and worms, I will alternate them. I test my water and I'm starting to have some ammonia and nitrates. I watch them closely so if something is going wrong I can act quickly. I bought the ammonia alert badge and so far is green, 0.05 ppm, is that ok? My tank is almost 15 days old. As soon as the are totally recovered, I'm going to set up the 20 gallons tank and let it cycle without fish for 15 days. They have a little damage in their fins, so I'm still doing aquarium salt. Any other advice is more than welcome.

Attachments

• 20200613_122652.jpg
    20200613_122652.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 20200613_122655.jpg
    20200613_122655.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • 20200613_131417.jpg
    20200613_131417.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96

Most reactions

Back