Glofish dilemma

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I’ve never supported the whole glow fish trade where they force these dyes into fish/ breed them that way or what not. Especially now they they are doing it to betta. BUT… I was at petsmart and they have this poor male betta, his fins tore up/rotting away with a light constantly shining on him in a cup. I want to get him to help him, but would this make me a hypocrite? He looks miserable, but I don’t want to support the practice.
450AB556-92F8-4382-9D30-F72D797554A8.jpeg

I don’t want to support the practice.
Then don't. The stores justify this by saying there is customer demand. There is only one way to stop it and that's by everyone walking away.

Then don't. The stores justify this by saying there is customer demand. There is only one way to stop it and that's by everyone walking away.
I’m aware of this, but there is also the moral dilemma of not helping this betta when I know I can. I don’t want him because he glows, I’ve never bought a glofish anything from livestock to equipment.

The store doesn't ask for your reasons, just money.

The helpful post you want is for someone to encourage you to buy a sick betta in a cup. Then the store replace it with another sick betta in a cup.

^^^ That ^^^ isn't helpful.

don't get the fish. do not buy sick fish for any reason. it's not worth the hassle

if you have concerns about the fish's health and welfare, contact the animal protection society and the state government and inform them. The government are the ones that make the laws and they should be informed of potential animal welfare issues.

Just my ¢2 that no one asked for, glofish are much more ethical than painted/injected/tattooed fish. But then there's the issue of commodification of fish to such an extreme.

With regards to betta being sold in cups, the only way to stop the practice is to let them die and become financially unviable for stores. It's hard to change that though as they're kept in tiny plastic bags on the wholesale and farm side of things.

The helpful post you want is for someone to encourage you to buy a sick betta in a cup. Then the store replace it with another sick betta in a cup.

^^^ That ^^^ isn't helpful.
By not helpful I mean berating me. I can accept a hard no as an answer, but please don’t say it in a way that makes me feel like I’m being scolded. I don’t know if that was your intent, but that seems to be the feeling anytime you respond to me.

don't get the fish. do not buy sick fish for any reason. it's not worth the hassle

if you have concerns about the fish's health and welfare, contact the animal protection society and the state government and inform them. The government are the ones that make the laws and they should be informed of potential animal welfare issues.

I understand, it’s hard for me to see them like that and leave them to die. But I understand, I didn’t know I could contact anyone for it to be honest, as fish are treated like such a commodity and not valued like more popular pets (outside of the hobby/ animal rights groups that is). Thank you for your advice

Just my ¢2 that no one asked for, glofish are much more ethical than painted/injected/tattooed fish. But then there's the issue of commodification of fish to such an extreme.

With regards to betta being sold in cups, the only way to stop the practice is to let them die and become financially unviable for stores. It's hard to change that though as they're kept in tiny plastic bags on the wholesale and farm side of things.
Glofish are genetically engineered right? It’s actually terrible how they are treated, I’ve seen the video of how they are shipped in what looks like a cut snack sized baggie bed twisted on the end. It’s plain animal abuse.

Also thank you for the info

Glofish are genetically engineered right? It’s actually terrible how they are treated, I’ve seen the video of how they are shipped in what looks like a cut snack sized baggie bed twisted on the end. It’s plain animal abuse.
Yes, they're made using crispr gene editing. Green are jellyfish DNA, while the rest are coral DNA.

Yes, they're made using crispr gene editing. Green are jellyfish DNA, while the rest are coral DNA.
That sounds like some sci-fi horror movie stuff. Betta are so colorful and have such variety with fins already. I’ve even seen females with nice colors.

Most reactions

Back