Glass Vs Acrylic

There are loads of companies out there that will make you an optiwhite tank.

If you want to spend money go for ADA, their tanks are beautiful.

If you want more down to earth prices then most of the custom manufacturers will offer optiwhite options. I've just been looking at one from ND aquatics, but didn't buy it. Mainly because my OH bought me one while I was pondering.

I've moved my acrylics to being grow out tanks, Glass for my show tanks.

You can use a high speed buffing wheel and a stick of silver polish to quickly remove small scratches from acrylic.
This is easy enough on the outside, an outright pain on the inside, and you be extra sure to clean out extremely well after and interior polishing.

Glass can scratch as well, just no where near as easy. It takes a real effort to scratch glass.

Many thanks
jhkh.gif

Starphire glass is amazingly clear; absolutely beautiful.

The only reason why I'd want an acrylic tank is because of how much lighter acrylic is. Big glass tanks are heavy. Aside from that,glass all the way. My aunt has a 90 gallon acrylic tank and she use to have a 75 gallon glass tank before it, I honestly couldn't tell the difference in terms of visual effect.

What I really need to know is does optiwhite/starphire glass refract like acrylic. Does any one happen to own a acrylic tank and a optiwhite/starphire tank? If so how does it compare to acrylic?
I mean clarity, scratch resistance, refraction, and price.

Hey, nofishing.

I have an acrylic tank and they scratch very easily! The simple task of cleaning became a nightmare in order to prevent scratches, no kidding. After much perseverance i found the biorb algae cleaning pads to be the most effective way to clean with minimum scratches. They are available in packs of 3, the special cloths have a smooth side for regular cleaning and a rough side for tougher algae marks etc. I would strongly advise against any magnet cleaners, even the 'acrylic safe' biorb ones scratch the tank!

I am currently setting up another aquarium, and have decided to go with a glass one for my next adventure, it's an ADA with high clarity, low iron glass. The silicone work is practically invisible! I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a glass aquarium.

Anyway as much as i like my acrylic biorb flow, i probably wouldn't buy another!

Clarity 10/10
Scratch resistance 1/10 (next to zero, almost everything scratch)
Refraction 9/10
Price 7/10

Hope this helps.

Edit: revised comments, first comments were made as i was literally leaving work.

Apologies,
Dean.

Most reactions

Back