Glass Catfish Spine Broken?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropical sunset

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My glass catfish that i got only yesterday is swimming at a funny angle, it is smming lop sided and it's spine is stuck at a funny angle, i shall get a friend to post on an image. Please help i need a way to help it or at least straighten the spine

Did you buy the fish with a broken spine.
Is the spine bent.

Bent spine can mean old age, injury, birth defect, vitamin deficiency, internal parasites, fish tb.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Did you buy the fish with a broken spine.
Is the spine bent.

Bent spine can mean old age, injury, birth defect, vitamin deficiency, internal parasites, fish tb.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

my tank (if you read my profile) is 64 litres, my dad bought me the glass catfish as a present (he bought 5 of them) and when i looked all were fine till this morning. As for my tank status it has setttle, i have 2 snails, 1 shrimp, 3 guppies (one preggers), 3 sunset platty fish, 2 glass FISH, 2 brittlenosed plecos... i think that is all my fish. But the tank has settled i've had it for almost 2 months and no fish have died recently, had a tank water test which said water was fine...

Don't add anymore fish your tanks slighly overstocked.

is it possible to load a pic up onto the site of the sick fish.

Is the spine as s shape.

Don't add anymore fish your tanks slighly overstocked.

is it possible to load a pic up onto the site of the sick fish.

Is the spine as s shape.

ok...i wasn't going to add anymore anyway as i have all the fish i want ^_^...i don't know if the spine is broken it isn't bent in an s shape, it's like...i can't describe. I'm getting a friend to post the image of it on so it just a matter of waiting till he's online, i have sent him a email so he should get it soon.

If the fish wasn't bought like that it could be a number of things. Could the fish of injured itself in the tank, or another fish attacked it.
Isolate the sick fish.

If the fish wasn't bought like that it could be a number of things. Could the fish of injured itself in the tank, or another fish attacked it.
Isolate the sick fish.

i can't isolate it as i have no other tank to put it in. And as it's tropical that would be a bad idea...and the breeding tank is in use by my pregnant guppy

Picture as requested >
glasscatfish.jpg

I can't make much out in the pic i'm afraid.

If there no improvement in a day time get back to the board.
If he goes downhill even further, I would consider ending his misery.
Sometimes the spine can go back to normal, but don't build your hopes up to much.

:X Poor Cat!
Your tank is definatly over stocked but only because of the Glass Catfish. You need to have a 100 litres plus tank to keep these catfish.
:)

I can't make much out in the pic i'm afraid.

If there no improvement in a day time get back to the board.
If he goes downhill even further, I would consider ending his misery.
Sometimes the spine can go back to normal, but don't build your hopes up to much.

KK btw he on the far right of the net...ty there just...OK btw i forgot to mention yesterday i found one of the glass cat fish stuck behind the breeding tank (it must have swung forward as the fish swam behind it) As i was trying to help it, it wriggle to an awkward angle, at the time i didn't think anything of it and let it go...is this possibly what caused it?

If it got in an awkward position he could of damaged his spine.
Let us all know how he gets on bless him.
Good Luck.

If it got in an awkward position he could of damaged his spine.
Let us all know how he gets on bless him.
Good Luck.

Found him dead this morning :-( he was under the filter...the other ill one (that i forgot to mention) i have ended his suffering...he was on his way out, i think he was blind in one eye as well because when he did swim (feebly) it swam in circles... R.I.P smiley and lefty

Spinning can be a sign a fish is dying.
Bless him.
R.I.P.

Thanks for letting us all know.

If anymore problems get back to the board.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back