Girl Fight At The Lfs!

Spaul302

Reaction score
I am always amazed at some of the information you can obtain at a LFS.....

Today I needed a bottle of Prime, so I stopped by an LFS that is close, usually has very good fish, but their prices are sky high. I had a coupon for 25% off supplies so I figured it was worth it to throw them some business. I go to get a 250ml bottle and they are out. I ask one of the girls working if they have any in the back. She goes and looks for it. While I am waiting, another girl asks me if I need any help. I told her that I was waiting for a bottle of prime from the back, and she proceeds to delve into a crash course in water chemistry with me. I figure that its icy outside, and I'm kinda bored, so what the heck, lets see how much she knows. She gets into water changes, and she asks me how much water I change (My answer is 50% weekly). She then becomes very agitated and tells me that I am killing my fish, and that they will not be alive in a month if I continue to change that much every week. Funny they have survived as long as they have, I guess it is a Christmas miracle! She then tells me that there is absolutely no reason that I should change more than 15% every two weeks to a month, for the good of the fish, as it would not be stressed out from the water changes. Another bullet point of hers was that by far the worst way to do a water change, resulting is sure death is right out of the tap with a python. Naturally, I then told her I dosed the whole tank then added water straight from the tap with MY python, and the fishies did not seem too bothered by the whole deal, especially since they try to swim up the python tube. I guess it is the fish version of a water park!

About this time the employee is ready to report me to PETA for the way I treat my fish, then the girl returns with my bottle of Prime. She somehow becomes engaged in the conversation and becomes equally as agitated- but at the OTHER EMPLOYEE. Oh yeah, did I mention my wife is standing one aisle over, giving me the "are you happy with yourself, look what you started now" look, lol. They become engaged in a heated debate that I think is going to end up in blows being thrown any second! I walked over and paid for my prime, walked over to the door, and the two were so engaged in their debate they had not even realized we had walked off! Note to self: make the trip across town to the other LFS next time!

:lol:

Oh I wish the LFS employees here could provide some sort of entertainment. At least they're passionate, right?

50% is a lot for a water change though.

It depends on where you are at when you do a 50% change. Truth be known, my water changes are actually probably more between 35 and 40%. I learned the hard way that in a non-planted tank the single easiest way to control algae is to keep the nitrates below 20ppm. Ideally I like to keep them below 15. Obviously if they are around 40-60, a 50% change is going to theoretically cut them to 20-30, a fairly significant change in chemistry. a drop of 8-10, IMHO, is not that stressful. BTW, I always check the tap to make sure the ph and hardness are similar before each change.

Love it!! I wish i knew enough to blag something like that!!

It depends on where you are at when you do a 50% change. Truth be known, my water changes are actually probably more between 35 and 40%. I learned the hard way that in a non-planted tank the single easiest way to control algae is to keep the nitrates below 20ppm. Ideally I like to keep them below 15. Obviously if they are around 40-60, a 50% change is going to theoretically cut them to 20-30, a fairly significant change in chemistry. a drop of 8-10, IMHO, is not that stressful. BTW, I always check the tap to make sure the ph and hardness are similar before each change.
You are assuming that there are no nitrates in your fresh tap water, which is not always true!! that said i do broadly agree with you, but as with many things, in fish keeping, there are so many ways to do things RIGHT. reading through this forums posts, reveals may things that one member takes as law, and another thinks of a crime! still a shouting match at the lfs, whilst amusing, is far from professional.

as an LFS employee, I think I'll bite my tounge on this one and stay out of it.
oh, dear I'm in it already.

unless you are doing an EI tank 50% water changes on a weekly basis is a little OTT
I'd suggest 20% would benifit the fish better.

unless you are doing an EI tank 50% water changes on a weekly basis is a little OTT

My wifes Coldwater tank is a little over stocked....okay its grossly over stocked till we build our pond so her tank needs it but I will cut back on mine a bit.

my thoughts too

Most reactions

Back