Giant Betta At Petco

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello, I found some giant bettas at Petco and was tempted to buy one but didn't. One was making a bubble nest in his cup! Anyway, I'm wondering if they need any special care, what their minimum tank size is and if a giant betta lived divided next to a normal one, would the normal one freak out? Thanks.

were they labled as giant bettas, or just they looked large. or is that a species that isnt betta splendens

@ mr130gallon,

The cup was labeled, "Giant Betta" and in smaller print it said, "Betta Splendens" so it was a betta splendens.

@ MrNiceGuy,

Maybe they do, but I've never seen it done before. :p

How big were they... Hm, well IIRC the larger one I was looking at was around 2 1/2" not including fins, but it was their broadness that surprised me. They also had larger mouths and smaller eyes than usual, it was pretty cool. S/he was black, turning blue closer the end of the body.

@ mr130gallon,

The cup was labeled, "Giant Betta" and in smaller print it said, "Betta Splendens" so it was a betta splendens.

@ MrNiceGuy,

Maybe they do, but I've never seen it done before. :p

How big were they... Hm, well IIRC the larger one I was looking at was around 2 1/2" not including fins, but it was their broadness that surprised me. They also had larger mouths and smaller eyes than usual, it was pretty cool. S/he was black, turning blue closer the end of the body.

thats awesome. long fins or short? all the "giant bettas" im seeing on youtube have short fins

Yeah, they had very short fins, but the short fins makes them look even larger!

Hello, I found some giant bettas at Petco and was tempted to buy one but didn't. One was making a bubble nest in his cup! Anyway, I'm wondering if they need any special care, what their minimum tank size is and if a giant betta lived divided next to a normal one, would the normal one freak out? Thanks.
[/quote No they wont freak out. They flare at the Giants just like another Betta. I posted a picture of a Giant female I bought as a normal one. I thought it looked too big to be one. She was bigger than any females I had and has grown an inch since. I bought a male Giant at Petco a couple years ago and couldn't get him to breed with any of my females. Now that he died and I finally found a female Petco isn't ordering Giant males. So I'm going to have to try my regular sized males with her. DSC00848.JPGUpdate: I guess it depends on who you talk to. I caught the right person at the right time. She went in the office and said her inventory said they had 5 giants so they didn't order any more. She fixed that mistake and I said something about Halfmoons after ordering a few Giants and she asked if I would like to order Giant Halfmoons. ??? Duh! would I? They'll be in in two weeks!!!!

Ok cool, so what size tank was your giant betta in? Could they live in a 5 gallon sized enclosure?

Ok cool, so what size tank was your giant betta in? Could they live in a 5 gallon sized enclosure?
All my males are in one gallon jars including the Giants unless they are in a 2 to 10 gallon breeder tank or tending to eggs and fry. A 5 gallon would be plenty for one Giant Betta. I think one by itself in a ten gallon is a waste of space. I'd like to keep mine in some 2&1/2 gallon tanks I have designed but have too much on my plate right now.

Attachments

• DSC00993.JPG
    DSC00993.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 519
All my males are in one gallon jars including the Giants unless they are in a 2 to 10 gallon breeder tank or tending to eggs and fry. A 5 gallon would be plenty for one Giant Betta. I think one by itself in a ten gallon is a waste of space. I'd like to keep mine in some 2&1/2 gallon tanks I have designed but have too much on my plate right now.
:eek:

how can you keep them in so little space it like you spending your life in your bath room!
i felt bad for mine in a 5 gal heated and filtered tank now he is in the 15 gall in my sig

Don't worry, I won't put him in a jar. To avoid arguments or whatever, it isn't because I don't think jars are suitable, I just like to have space to scape the tank and make it look good, not just a bare jar where you aren't able to put much in it like plants driftwood etc. And please stay on topic guys, I just want some questions answered, besides there are many other threads on this forum where you can rant about jars or whatever.

:eek:

how can you keep them in so little space it like you spending your life in your bath room!
i felt bad for mine in a 5 gal heated and filtered tank now he is in the 15 gall in my sig

It may be that chard has a breeding set-up. In which cas it is understandable. Although not the 'best' set-up for a fish people who are really serious about breeding etc will put in the time and effort needed to keep their fish healthy but can't neccesarily house them in ideal conditions.

If they are just being kept as pets then my personal opinion is nothing less that 5gal. It makes a nice compromise between space for the fish and maintenance levels/amount of space the tank takes up.

And just to answer the original post, giant bettas are just line bred betta splendens. You can breed for all sorts of characteristics, normally you see them bred for colour, giants have been bred for size :)
Treat them exactly the same as you would any other betta. :)

"Scaping" your tank is for your benifit and to your personal tastes. I have either rearing, breeding or holding tanks and driftwood or divers with bubbling treasure chests would only be an annoyance. I do have a 35 gallon hexagon with gravel, plants and a crocadile in a bath tub for all my male guppies I'm not breeding or selling but usually my Betta's are being conditioned in jars until I need them for breeding.

Hello, I found some giant bettas at Petco and was tempted to buy one but didn't. One was making a bubble nest in his cup! Anyway, I'm wondering if they need any special care, what their minimum tank size is and if a giant betta lived divided next to a normal one, would the normal one freak out? Thanks.[/quote No they wont freak out. They flare at the Giants just like another Betta. I posted a picture of a Giant female I bought as a normal one. I thought it looked too big to be one. She was bigger than any females I had and has grown an inch since. I bought a male Giant at Petco a couple years ago and couldn't get him to breed with any of my females. Now that he died and I finally found a female Petco isn't ordering Giant males. So I'm going to have to try my regular sized males with her.View attachment 59770Update: I guess it depends on who you talk to. I caught the right person at the right time. She went in the office and said her inventory said they had 5 giants so they didn't order any more. She fixed that mistake and I said something about Halfmoons after ordering a few Giants and she asked if I would like to order Giant Halfmoons. ??? Duh! would I? They'll be in in two weeks!!!!

Sorry but is the betta in the pic a "giant betta" i have the very same betta but with less red colouration. Also what species of betta is it (veil, half moon crown tail etc).

thanks neil.

Most reactions

Back