Getting Wild Fish To Eat Flakes

I would try hatching some brine shrimp like helterskelter suggested. They move around a bit and stay in the water column for a long time. I haven't met a fish yet that won't eat live brine shrimp, even the newly hatched kind.

I have no supply of it nor can I get any. I'm afraid my darters are doomed to die of starvation. I will continue to try.

you can order brine shrimp eggs online, ie ebay
hatching takes 24 hours.

it's easy once you done it

My parents won't let me do any of that. They hate animals. I need these guys to eat though.

Sorry but if you cant be bothered to go out and get the foods needed for wild fish then don't go collecting them then!

You need live foods to at least start off with. Can u get an grindel or white worms u can culture?
If not, don't collect strange wild fish and stick to mollies and easy stuff.

Got some news. First thing, I went dipnetting about two weeks ago again and caught and kept two more swamp darters by accident. I was afraid they would starve. Well today I got my freeze dried bloodworms to sink. My two original darters did not eat any as they were not near them. I think they are eating something because I have had them for more than a month already and they are still alive. My two more recent darters actually ate them. Now they do not even wait to see if the worms are alive anymore, they just go crazy for them.

Got some news. First thing, I went dipnetting about two weeks ago again and caught and kept two more swamp darters by accident. I was afraid they would starve. Well today I got my freeze dried bloodworms to sink. My two original darters did not eat any as they were not near them. I think they are eating something because I have had them for more than a month already and they are still alive. My two more recent darters actually ate them. Now they do not even wait to see if the worms are alive anymore, they just go crazy for them.

I know this may sound daft, but have you tried putting a bit of current in the water to get the food moving around a bit more and maybe get them interested? just a thought.

Most reactions

Back