Getting New Plants & Planting In Established Tank

Ivan Sloshed

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
Just in the middle of ordering some real plants for my tank its got silk one's in at the moment but I would like to try again at looking after real one’s. Would I need to take out half the water from my tank if so how would I replace it? Would I need to re-house my fish in the extra tank, could I then replace with tap water and wait a few days I have a 6” Pleco is it possible to leave him in the tank? Sorry for so many questions many thanks Ivor
PS The tank measures 36" Wide X 18" High and 12" Depth The fish I have are 5 Neon’s, 6 Head & Tail light fish 2 Loaches 1 Large Catfish and 2 adult guppies and 7 baby’s also1 Platy The light is a tropical neon tube 18w 24". Extra tank around half the size of main tank (not sure of exact size it’s around my brothers house).

Why do you think you need to remove half the water ? If you are doing a needed water change, you will need to replace the water with CONDITIONED tap water at the same (or near enough!) temperature as the tank. But you should be doing this every week or two anyway...
And unless there are problems, I would only change 25%.

Float the new plants on the surface for a few days, then plant the ones with roots ! As long as you are not thrashing about in there the fish will be ok.

Welcome to the board. :thumbs:

The only water you would need to remove is what the plants would displace (so the tank doesn't run over). Just do it on your normal water change day. Remove the usual amount, add your plants and refill the tank. No need to remove the fish. I move plants, prune them and replant them at almost every water change.

Why do you think you need to remove half the water ? If you are doing a needed water change, you will need to replace the water with CONDITIONED tap water at the same (or near enough!) temperature as the tank. But you should be doing this every week or two anyway...
And unless there are problems, I would only change 25%.

Float the new plants on the surface for a few days, then plant the ones with roots ! As long as you are not thrashing about in there the fish will be ok.

Welcome to the board. :thumbs:
Hi just thought it would be easer with the fish and fry removed and less water in I could plant up easer and fill the tank adding the conditioner (stress coat) and the fertiliser for the plants and let it settle for a couple of days Thanks Ivor :beer:
PS i have been removeing and replaceing a couple of buckets of 3 hour old water a week and adding stress coat but they are not heated, it does not seem to affect the fish :unsure:

The only water you would need to remove is what the plants would displace (so the tank doesn't run over). Just do it on your normal water change day. Remove the usual amount, add your plants and refill the tank. No need to remove the fish. I move plants, prune them and replant them at almost every water change.
Hi
the only thing i worried about is the amount of plants im getting over 100 but a lot will be in batches im getting the starter set 730 from Andy at Greenline i could keep the plants in the other tank and plant a few a week or do you think i am worrying for nothing Many thanks Ivor :beer:

Hi Still a bit worried about the amount of plants that i will be planting (over 100) is it best to remove fish only the plants from Greenline have a snail killer not sure what type. :beer: Ivor

when it says 100 plants it means 100 stems of plants, so you can bunch them together :) I've ordered from greenline many times (I've lots of tanks ;) ) and been very happy with them. If you went for the labelled collection then it's very simple, since the lables also tell you where to put them in the tank, I tend to lay the plants out on a wet cloth on a table and put them into small bunchs (depending on the species) then it's just a simple case of placing them into the spot you want them within the tank :) It's easier to work from the front to the back, that way you can see where things are going (taller plants aren't bloking your view ;) ).

It isn't necessary to remove te fish, since they'll usually scatter once you put your hand into the tank, just remove some water first (like you were doing your normal water change)

when it says 100 plants it means 100 stems of plants, so you can bunch them together :) I've ordered from greenline many times (I've lots of tanks ;) ) and been very happy with them. If you went for the labelled collection then it's very simple, since the lables also tell you where to put them in the tank, I tend to lay the plants out on a wet cloth on a table and put them into small bunchs (depending on the species) then it's just a simple case of placing them into the spot you want them within the tank :) It's easier to work from the front to the back, that way you can see where things are going (taller plants aren't bloking your view ;) ).

It isn't necessary to remove te fish, since they'll usually scatter once you put your hand into the tank, just remove some water first (like you were doing your normal water change)
Thanks for the advice will be able to sleep tonight :) Ivor

Most reactions

Back