Getting My Fish Did Not Go As Planned....

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, finially the day came where I could stock my cycled mbuna tank. I drove an hour to the ONLY reputible LFS near me and of course it was the only day of the week that the owner takes off. The guy that was working did seem to know a lot about tropical fish in general, but the tank of mbuna was totally mixed and he couldn't identify most of them. Due to the fact I'm trying to stock an entire tank I couldn't afford the larger $15/fish so I went for the $6/fish which were smaller. The sales guy told me it is difficult to determine the sex at that size. So, doing the best we could I picked fish I liked. It is very likely that I have a tank full of beautiful fish that will kill each other.

I'm sure you are thinking I should have waited, but I'm off from work for another 4 nights and wanted to be home to test water, etc. Also, this was a big family day out (with my daughter and grand daughter) we drove an hour to get there and I just couldn't leave empty handed.

The only fish that I know for sure I have is 4 yellow labs.. the markings seem a bit different from fish to fish so I'm hoping I don't have all one sex. Also, I have some bright orange ones that I believe are Red zebras... no idea if they are the same sex or different. One is smaller than the other 2 so I'm hoping I don't have 2 males and one female. Other than that. I have 4 fish that are white with black horizontal stripes that he told me will turn to blue and black. Guess I'll have to wait and see What happens and learn from there.

Just a side question... are there frontosa that don't grow so big? I saw a black and white strip variety (pale blue fins) that he claimed don't get that big.

All that waiting huh? :rolleyes:

The first thing I would say is do not add Frontosa or similar Tanganyikans to a Malawi/Mbuna tank :no: Although Fronts etc can get to a size where you think they will cope being with aggressive fish, Fronts etc are actually known to be quite placid compared to the very aggressive fish that Mbuna are and are very likely to get bullied themselves, they are definitely not fish to mix.

Can you get some photos of the fish you picked? Hopefully between us all we can id them and give you some advice on which fish to keep an eye on. At least the day wasn`t a total hash and you got some fish you liked......better than nothing ;)

Actually it seems I can't post pics. I messed around with photo bucket until I got a headache and gave up! I will try again tomorrow, but my questions are... If I have too many males of each type can I just add females?

I think bought 14 fish today... can I still add more or will it be too much for a 55 gal tank?

I think I only got one acei. He/she was the last one they had and I really wanted it. Will it be OK alone or should I get a couple more?

Can one of you go shopping with me next time? LOL

Hi,

Don't panic.
If the fish were ok in his tank, no reason they won't be ok in yours.
Remember that Mbuna are naturally aggressive, so there will be a bit of chasing etc as the sort themselves out in your tank.

Yes, you can get more fish in your tank.
I had about 35 of the smaller Mbuna species in my 55gal tank.
When you add more, do so in groups. Not individually. If you add them in 1's or 2's the new fish will get picked on and will hide in the rocks and you will never see them.
Stocking in groups is what you want. There may be some fighting to start but once all settled in, it should be ok.
I stocked my Mbuna tank in 3 batches.

1 acei should be ok. I had the odd singleton in my tank, and never had probelms.

I would try and avoid frontosa. They get big.

All the best
Squidward

Thank you! Yes, sometimes I think we read too much and feel that everything has to be exact or it wont work. But when I go to the pet stores they have BIG mbuna in the tank together and all seems well.

The tank is looking a little bare so I think I'll work on that and get more fish in a week or two (basically when I get paid again). Can't believe how much I've spent on test kits, sand, fish, etc, etc.

I'm going to try some anubia in the tank unless I can find some realistic aquarium plants.

do not get more fish when you cannot even identify the ones you have!! and of course the tank looks bare right now - you bought all juvenile fish who still need to grow.

14 fish, especially when you do not even know what species you have, is a lot for a 55 gallon tank believe it or not. Do not go by the "1 in per gallon rule" it is complete rubbish for anything bigger than a neon and is a gimmick made up by pet stores to get ignorant buyers to spend more money.

figure out what you do have, let them settle and grow and chances are you are going to have to rehome some of what you already have - never mind not being able to add to it!

and I am curious - when you go to the pet stores who have a very large fish in a small tank, and "all seems well" how do you know all is well? In the best case scenario, this fish has been turned over and is put in to the best possible TEMPORARY accomodations the store can offer until someone can buy the fish. Chances are it is suffering and you passing by in a fish store have no way of knowing the quality of this fish's life.

Surviving is NOT thriving. A dedicated animal owner wants to ensure that the living animal they have chosen to be responsible for is thriving . . . not merely just managing to live.

Quite an agressive post... first of all, when I said the tank looked bare I was NOT talking about the lack of fish, I was talking about adding more rocks, plants, etc. I clearly stated that I didn't plan to add more fish for a few weeks.

You are correct that I don't know the exact species of each fish (about half I do), but I do know that they are all mbuna and have spent the last 2 months doing research.

I don't know for a fact that the fish in the pet store are happy, but didn't see anyone chasing each other or any nipped fins.

Get a grip!

not sure i agree with the frog person???do you keep mbuna? as overstocking is a very good rule in general :crazy: maybe not the same with frog lol!
malawi keepers will always disagree and you will find most give hostle opinions not sure why that is???
good luck with keeping rifts its a lot of fun!
the striped ones sound like possibly Melanochromis auratus the fish you have sound like a bread and butter selection most lfs seem to have as mixed malawi tanks :good: as a rule no too mbuna are the same in manner ive had good and bad examples of many so finger crossed all yours get on
my main advice would be dont buy random fish in the future as you may get hybred fish from mixed tanks do your research on what types you want and try and find breeders who will supply better quality fish! :good:
this link helped me tons!
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/index.php

Thank you Rifty... I'm definately going to look into breeders. Not sure I will find any near me, but will definately give it a shot.

i use the UK version all my fish come via people on this

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.com/

maybe the US version will be as useful :good:

Most reactions

Back