Getting A New Internal Filter, Which One?

DanVas

Reaction score
So I got this new 29 Gallon aquarium kit from Tetra with "premium glass". The filter that came with it is an external, cheap plasticky Tetra Whisper EX Filter. I read some reviews about them, and to be honest, they weren't so great.

I saw a few Fluval internal filters such as the Fluval U1, U2, U3, and U4. Since mine is a 29 gallon, I'd have to go with the U3 which is for the 20 - 40 gallon aquariums.

I'm planning to have tropical fish such as guppies, tetras, etc, which leads me to my worries of the strong current I heard that these filters produce. The dude at Big Al's told me that these Fluval internal filters are better for turtles. I read some reviews that say that these are good for tropical fish, and some said that they were bad for tropical fish.

HELP?!

I've got a Fluval U3 and it's a very nice filter, IMO. They have an option of different returns to the tank, one of which is a vertical 'spray bar' that slows the flow quite nicely.

I would recommend you get a Fluval 205 (external version of Fluval U3)
Reasons are because Fluval U3s are:
1. Quite big and chunky, takes up room in tank.
2. Fish can often get trapped between the filter and side/bottom of tank.
3. Plant matter, debris and poo accumulates between the filter and side of tank, so when the filter is removed from its place, all the poo...gets released into aquarium, dirties up the water again :no:

Reasons are because Fluval U3s are:
1. Quite big and chunky, takes up room in tank.
2. Fish can often get trapped between the filter and side/bottom of tank.
3. Plant matter, debris and poo accumulates between the filter and side of tank, so when the filter is removed from its place, all the poo...gets released into aquarium, dirties up the water again :no:
I agree with the above, i use the 205 on my 125ltr aquarium which is home to 4 fantails(messy fish) and it handles the bio load very well. Another thing to remember with the external option is that you don't have to get wet when filter maintnance is required.

Skins.

agree, I´ve been using a 205 for the last 3 years with absolutley no problems. A good filter and on offer in Maidenhead aquatice from time to time. I´ve even seem them cheap on fleabay.

I have a fluval U2, the flow rate is easily adjusted, and they come with great options like a spray bar to reduce flow.

Can't knock the filter at all, it's done me well.

(though i have lumped the carbon/poly pad out of it completely and just running on sponges)

Any perticular reason that you want an internal filter? Just asking becuase since I switched to external it makes a lot more sense. More room in tank, much much much more media & is also just very cool.

Any perticular reason that you want an internal filter? Just asking becuase since I switched to external it makes a lot more sense. More room in tank, much much much more media & is also just very cool.

Agreed, after the missus got a filter that hangs off the tank lip, think they're called hob filters, i'm going to get one of those next time I purchase a filter. Much better in my opinion.

Choosing between the major three forms of filters for smaller tanks (meaning that we leave out the fourth type, sumps, since they are usually used on much larger setups) means you are choosing among a number of different tradeoffs. Choosing filters is a particularly good topic for doing searches on past TFF material as there are many detailed discussions out there and nearly all sitll have quite good information. Internals, HOBs and ECs each have individual Pros and Cons.

The OP may have been mentioning the internal filter from having already realized there can be a significant price difference, with internals usually staking out the lowest prices, HOBs going slightly up from there and then a significant jump up to ECs.

I agree with the direction of discussion that if the budget is there then an appropriately sized EC would be a very nice option. An Eheim 2222, 2224 or 2028 would be be probably the top of the line choice for this size tank. A Rena XP2 or Fluval 205 would be close to this in quality and a Tetratec (EX600 or 700 if I remember correctly) would be not far behind these in quality and probably even less money. An EC in combo with an inline heater gets even more equipment out of the tank.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back