Getting A Dog

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Reaction score
I grew up with a dog, and should soon be in a position to get one myself - not for a few months yet though. Its 10 years since the last time I had a dog (and at the time I was only a teenager) so I've got a few questions that I'm hoping the dog lovers on here could answer for me - some in relation to generally keeping a dog, and some in relation to what dog to get.

First things first - how much does it cost for pet insurance in the UK, and is it worth doing to avoid having to worry about big vets bills or should I just pop a few quid to one side to cover that sort of thing?

How much does it cost each month to keep your dog fed? (I know this is going to vary depending on what sort of dog.)

On the subject of what dog to get...I'm open to advice. Personally I don't want anything smaller than a collie, and I'm not keen on staffies etc but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally something that if my other half takes for a walk late at night will make a fuss if somebody tries to give her problems.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction - as I say, I've had a dog before but I was more a kid then, and want to be able to make informed decisions when the times right to get one myself.

i would've recommended a staffie as im in the US and own a pitbull...BEST dogs out there IMO, having experience with all sorts of breeds, these guys are the smartest, most loyal ive seen!
as with any breed, large or small, so some research and make sure the breed fits your lifestyle...all too often people get caught up in the look of the dog and dont realize that certain breeds require too much "effort", and a year or so down the road think-what have i gotten myself into? and then try to rehome them or take them to a shelter...like the working dogs NEED NEED NEED exercise or you may come home and find your house torn to shreds! the #1 thing any dog owner can and must do for their dog is to take it for WALKS!!! dont just let them in the bakyard to do their buisness or play...walks are actually a very important tool in maintaining YOU as the "master"...that's where they learn youre the boss. solves many many behavioral problems that may arise if you walk your dog till its TIRED! everyday!
but enough ranting. i hope you find the perfect dog for you! they are wonderful companions and if i had the room, id have 10 dogs!!!
cheers

I grew up with a dog, and should soon be in a position to get one myself - not for a few months yet though. Its 10 years since the last time I had a dog (and at the time I was only a teenager) so I've got a few questions that I'm hoping the dog lovers on here could answer for me - some in relation to generally keeping a dog, and some in relation to what dog to get.

First things first - how much does it cost for pet insurance in the UK, and is it worth doing to avoid having to worry about big vets bills or should I just pop a few quid to one side to cover that sort of thing?

How much does it cost each month to keep your dog fed? (I know this is going to vary depending on what sort of dog.)

On the subject of what dog to get...I'm open to advice. Personally I don't want anything smaller than a collie, and I'm not keen on staffies etc but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally something that if my other half takes for a walk late at night will make a fuss if somebody tries to give her problems.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction - as I say, I've had a dog before but I was more a kid then, and want to be able to make informed decisions when the times right to get one myself.
Hi some good questions you have

1. Pet Insurance - Can be cheep or dear depending on the level you get for example might be bronze silver and gold (gold being the dearest) In my personal opinion i dont like pet insurance and think as you said its better to just put some cash away every month or week. Then again this depends on the individual.

2. Cost for feeding - This as you said depends on what breed as well as size and sometimes sex. Males usually eating more but then you never know. It also depends on what food you gice the dog, wet/dry meal, tinned food, or natuaral food like tripe and things. An example my own dog a collie cost around £10 - £20 every month as i fed her on dry meal which u can get in massive bags that could last months.

3. Type of dog to get - Ok this is your hardest question, it really depends what you want out the dog and what you want to put in. Do you want a hyper dog that will never get tierd out or a more laid back dog. Some breeds i like hunting and hearding dogs such as shepards, collies, things like this as well as i love dobermans. All them breeds can be good natuared but it all depends on the individual family. In my eyes a german shepard is more of a family dog than a border collie. But then this depends on your thoughts.

If you have anymore questions do ask and i hoped this helped a little.

I'm definately 'for' pet insurance. Bills can easily run into hundreds if not thousands of pounds, particularly if your pet gets a long term illness. Just think of it like a savings account to pay the vets with except for it's guaranteed to have enough to meet your vets bills in.

Dunno about you but if I tried just putting money aside for treatments it would never get above 200 quid and then I'd spend it on something so for me it's more practical to have pet insurance.

In the UK there's only a couple of companies that offer insurance that is worth paying for, these are the ones that cover your animal for the life of the illness not the life of the policy. So if you'd taken out a 'life of the policy' insurance and your pet got a long term illness they'd only pay for treatment for the rest of that year, after that they'd stop payments and no insurance firm would cover you again with an existing condition like that so you'd have to pay the vets bills yourself. I know that PetPlan cover the life of the illness, I can't remember which other firms do but if you decide to take it out make sure that's what you are getting.

If you're not dead set on a particular breed then why not get a rescue dog, there's thousands of them out there looking for a good home. If you go to somewhere like Dogs Trust they're really good, you get to have a play with the different dogs and take any that you like for a walk, really get to know the dog a bit before you make any committment to get them. Then what dog you choose is not so much absed on a particular breed but on the temprement of the actual dog.

More Than pet insurance covers an illness for the life of the dog aswell.
I am a large advocate of pet insurance. One dog has not had any claims at all (the one in my avatar) the other dog also a staffie has claimed at least £600 pounds per year (she is 9 this year) for a skin condition, some years we have claimed over £1000. If we had not had the insurance, there is no way we could have afforded these fees, then we would have been faced with a horrendous decision.

Monthly insurance can cost between 10 and 30 pounds depending on breed, age at time of taking out insurance etc. One staffy costs £17 per month the other (one with skin problem) costs £22 per month. Obviously for us this is well worth the money.

I will also say that there is a difference in quality of breeding between these dogs. Lucie the ill one we got from an advertisement in the newspaper, breeding is not very good, I believe the lady did not know what she was doing and was breeding for the money.

The second staffie we bought 18 months later from a reputable breeder after contacting the kennel club for a list of breeders, this couple had been breeding for 30 yrs. They knew what they were doing and whilst more expensive to buy the dog, we have had to spend less money on him since. I also managed to qualify him for crufts, although I have never managed to get him there due to ill health.

The moral of this story is, whichever breed you choose, research and find the best possible breeder for the money you wish to pay.

As for your choice of breed, you need one that will fit into your lifestyle. Certain breeds don't like to be left on there own etc. Collies can become destructive if they are bored, they need the correct type of stimulation for the breed.

Have a look if there is anything like the KC discover dogs, or even crufts (they have all breeds represented and you talk to owners of dogs you like the look of to see whether the dogs you like would fit into your lifestyle) or go to the library, look on the internet. Give us some idea of what you like and then you can get advice as to whether your lifestyle would be suitable.

Good luck, a dog brings so much joy, loyalty and love.
If you're not dead set on a particular breed then why not get a rescue dog, there's thousands of them out there looking for a good home. If you go to somewhere like Dogs Trust they're really good, you get to have a play with the different dogs and take any that you like for a walk, really get to know the dog a bit before you make any committment to get them. Then what dog you choose is not so much absed on a particular breed but on the temprement of the actual dog.
or do this

I'm thinking that a rescue dog might be a good idea - its definately something I'll look into. And going for walks is no issue, I've a fairly stressful job and getting out after a long shift for a walk is one of the big appeals. I grew up with a dog (learned to walk by grabbing his tail) until he had to be put down aged 15, and for the last 2 years I was the main carer of the dog - the only thing I didn't do was pay for his food. So whilst I'm no expert, I've an idea of how much effort is required.

With regards to what breed, I know that the character of the individual dog plays into it but also that certain breeds are more or less likely to exhibit certain traits. I don't want a small dog - minimum size would be collie size. Simple reason for that is I find little dogs get under my feet more, and I don't want to have to bend double to pay the dog some attention. I work shifts (as does my other half) which means two things: if I get stuck behind at work and end up doing a 12-17 hour shift I don't want the dog ripping the place apart. And when my other half takes the dog for a walk, if its 3am and somebody on the street plays funny buggers I want a dog that will make a fuss and protect her - not necessarily attack someone, but at the very least make enough fuss that it draws attention and wakes people up. I know its an unlikely scenario but I'm adamant on that point.
I tend to like dogs that respond well to you giving them attention and are pleased to see you when you get home, but does calm down after a few minutes and isn't completely mental.

Then theres a bit of conflict between me and my other half - she wants a smaller dog (partly because they tend to be cute, and partly because she's only about 5'4) whereas I'm keen on something bigger for the above reasons. We've talked about getting two dogs but I want to see how we get on with one - that said, I think having two dogs to keep each other company when we're at work might be a good thing. I'm keen to hear peoples opinions on whether I'm thinking rightly or not though.

That should give you an idea of the things I'm looking for. As Miss W and Tigerlssy suggested, Dogs Trust is something I'd definately consider - but before I get to that point I'd like to do as much research as I reasonably can. I'll have a dig about on the internet to see if I can answer some of my own questions, but any responses are appreciated.

whatever you do make sure the dog is xrayed for hereditary problems such as hip dysplasia, insurance wont cover hereitary problems, just had out 2 year old cavaliar king charles diagnosed with it, he is kc reg, chipped im in two minds to phone the breeder. di

whatever you do make sure the dog is xrayed for hereditary problems such as hip dysplasia, insurance wont cover hereitary problems, just had out 2 year old cavaliar king charles diagnosed with it, he is kc reg, chipped im in two minds to phone the breeder. di

german shepherd

I'm thinking that a rescue dog might be a good idea - its definately something I'll look into. And going for walks is no issue, I've a fairly stressful job and getting out after a long shift for a walk is one of the big appeals. I grew up with a dog (learned to walk by grabbing his tail) until he had to be put down aged 15, and for the last 2 years I was the main carer of the dog - the only thing I didn't do was pay for his food. So whilst I'm no expert, I've an idea of how much effort is required.

With some breeds, collies particularly, walking sometimes isn't enough. Very intelligent breeds can need alot of stimulation just because they are so intelligent. For example, collies are a working breed and love to work, things like agilty are great for this. Just depends on how much stimulation you can give.

Then theres a bit of conflict between me and my other half - she wants a smaller dog (partly because they tend to be cute, and partly because she's only about 5'4) whereas I'm keen on something bigger for the above reasons. We've talked about getting two dogs but I want to see how we get on with one - that said, I think having two dogs to keep each other company when we're at work might be a good thing. I'm keen to hear peoples opinions on whether I'm thinking rightly or not though.

There can be two issues here, I am 5'5" and if my male staffy decides to be stubborn, I can have difficulty walking him. This is okay if my health is OK. If I have a physical problem, he tends to pick up on this and actually plays to my weakness, he is worse if he knows I am struggling. This can happen with male dogs, however if I got any trouble while walking him, he definately would make a fuss, if I am weak, he sees me as his ***** so to speak.

This is exactly the reason that crossbreeds and mongrels can sometimes be cheaper on insurance, however first generation crosses can have some of these problems aswell. My dog has been tested for all (DNA and eye examination) problems experienced in this breed. The only problem getting a rescue sometimes is that you don't know their history, someone may have got rid because they could not afford vets fees etc.

Really the choice is down to you. German shepards, rottweilers, dobermans will all protect your other half, they are generally daft temperament wise as long as they are trained correctly. Males can tend to be more stubborn sometimes in most breeds. Shifts can be an advantage especially if you work different shifts but 17 hrs is a bit too long in my opinion for any dog to be left on their own or even with another dog. Most dogs will be excited when you are coming home howerver, make sure the dog (any dog) knows you greet your other half then children, then the dog. Keeps your pecking order right.

Hope this of help
Tina

Shifts can be an advantage especially if you work different shifts but 17 hrs is a bit too long in my opinion for any dog to be left on their own or even with another dog.

In all fairness most of my shifts are supposed to be 9 or 10 hours - but I have to do regular last minute OT which can be anything from 30mins to 7 hours or more - most of the time I'll not be out of the house for longer than 10-11 hours though. And the chance of both me and my other half getting stuck behind for that many hours is fairly slim, so it won't happen very often - but may happen from time to time.

If you've got two dogs, does that help keep each other occupied? And is it much more work having two dogs rather than one?

The idea of a pair of german shepherds is growing on me, but I'm a long way away from making any decisions. And thanks for the advice so far from people.

In all fairness most of my shifts are supposed to be 9 or 10 hours - but I have to do regular last minute OT which can be anything from 30mins to 7 hours or more - most of the time I'll not be out of the hour for longer than 10-11 hours though. And the chance of both me and my other half getting stuck behind for that many hours is fairly slim, so it won't happen very often - but may happen from time to time.

Thats what I say, shifts can work very well as you don't usually work the same shifts all the time. Would it be possible to get someone to let it / them out for toilet stuff and a bit of a run midway through the longer double shifts, that would work well for you.

Two dogs can keep each other occupied, although depending on breed, temperament how they are getting on, this should be cautious at first. Most breeds are okay with this and if you get two at the same time they are usually better as one has not had time to settle in yet.

If you've got two dogs, does that help keep each other occupied? And is it much more work having two dogs rather than one?

This depends, if you get two puppies, hell yes it is a lot more work, think twins!! Adult dogs depend on whether you need to correct any bad habits traing wise that a previous owner has allowed them to do etc.
Feeding and walking to be honest is as easy with two dogs as one, you just need double the food.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, your doing right so far.

Edit
Forgot to say, if you want a particular breed and cannot get them/ it at rescue homes, google the breed eg German shepard rescue. Alot of breed clubs run their own rescues and tend to foster dogs to avoid having large kennels like say dogs trust or rspca etc.

Ahh, getting a dog, I couldn't imagine life without them. Any time I am on here I more than likely have one, if not two, nearby, often piled in my lap.

Pet insurance is a personal call. I'm older now, house paid for, kids grown, not filthy rich, but enough on the side to cover any major canine disasters. I'm the sort of person who would fly to Mexico & sell a kidney for one of my dogs if I had to. Without a doubt all the aquatics gear would get sold if times were that tough & I had a sick dog. When I was younger & money was tighter I probably would have gotten it, but back then it didn't exist.

The cost for keeping them fed does depend on many variables, size being the biggest. Cheap dog food is false economy, often many ailments in dogs can be traced back to improper diet. My two guys are my first "internet dogs", there is so much info out there about every facet of dog ownership, including diet. While many of the foods at this site may not be available in the UK, it will give you some idea of the wide range of quality that is out there; http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I've got my guys on Orijen Puppy right now, as the youngest is 9 months, the older is a year ahead of him. Two 15 pound terriers set me back about $30 per month on food.

The best way to find the right dog for you is to go to several shows. We did about 3 years of research before deciding on an Australian Terrier, at least a year of working with breeders. Before that we had a Cairn Terrier, before him we had a Westie & a Yorkie. I grew up around terriers, quite a few uncles had various breeds, I guess it is the kind of thing I've been used to having around as a dog since birth. Be aware that terriers are independent thinkers, you can use this to your advantage or it can drive you bonkers.

That being the case, I would go for an Airedale terrier, probably two if personal safety were an issue. Personally I like the decision on what to do in a situation being mine, the smaller "alarm system" size terriers are fine for my needs. Bottom line is there are two major things criminals fear; armed citizens & large dogs with big teeth. UK laws being what they are, large teeth are a great deterrent.

Two dogs; boy could I tell some stories. Bottom line two dogs are a blast, you are correct in thinking that two well socialized well trained dogs will keep each other entertained rather than entertaining themselves with furniture chewing & wall paper removal. My two guys are a year apart nearly to the day, we started leaving them alone for a bit uncrated when the younger guy was 6 months.

We only had one minor issue when they were alone for about 5 hours at 8 & 20 months, my own fault for not securing the gate to the living room. Christmas tree, gifts, decorations, the whole setup, they chewed a tiny corner of the tree skirt, made of the same material as their stuffies. They could have really made a mess, but I guess they were content with napping on the couch & looking out the window.

If you plan on getting two dogs, train the first one completely to your liking. Don't skimp here, the new dog will pick up bad habits just as well as good habits from the first dog. Plenty of good habits makes for an easy to train second dog, as the first dog does half the work. Most dogs love having a job to do. We got the older guy, Kaz, at 8 weeks, a year later got Gus, at 8 weeks. Kaz did half the work, second dog was a breeze.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to sell my other half on the idea of two dogs - one small and to her liking and another slightly bigger - in my mind either a german shepherd or german shepherd cross (as she gets nervous around the traditional looking german shepherds) or a lab, which shes more keen on. I suspect thats a workable idea but depends on the character of the two individuals - am I far wrong in that?

Shes not sure about the idea of two dogs because shes worried that it'd be twice as much work to look after them. My thoughts on having two dogs are that they'll keep each other entertained when we're not there which should make them happier dogs. We work similar basic shifts (though we don't both often get caught behind at the same time) and thats likely to continue. Unfortunately theres no way for anyone to let the dog(s) out midway through the shift. I do know a number of colleagues that are in the same boat and their dogs are fine, but I don't want to just assume they will be.

Something else I was thinking about was going to a couple of local rescue centres with my other half and getting to meet some of the different breeds so both of us can get a feel for what breed(s) would suit us best. Do you think they would mind us doing that?

border collie for a bigger dog,jack russell for a smaller dog.i had a border collie when i was younger and she was a very smart and loveable dog and i currently have a jack russell who is smarter than some of the guys i work with. :lol:

Go to a few rescue places, talk to the staff about what you want and they can suggest some breeds for you or cross breeds maybe.

As you are quite near to me there is a blue cross rescue centre just by south mimms, and its lovely, or there is wood green animal shelter in Godmanchester near cambridge.

I got one of my dogs from there, also if you put www.dogpages.org.uk/ it brings up a very good dog forum website that all the rescues put their dogs on and also private re-homings. There is also a wanted page so you can put what you are looking for on there and people may suggest where there will be a suitable dog for you.

I got my freddie from there (whippet) he was from up north but in foster care in hemel and thats where we picked him up from.

Good luck in your search, i wouldnt be without my two

Most reactions

Back