Get Rid Of The Charcoal In My External Filter Or Not?

chubbs9

Reaction score
right bought an external filter and it has 2 nets of activated charcoal in one of the trays in the filter.i got told to wash the charcoal clean before i use it.well i have been doing it for about 20 mins so far and is still rinsing out black.do i need the charcoal in the filter or can i swap the charcoal to have another row of bio balls etc???as was also told thats the charcoal is pretty pointless nowadays.

cheers for any replies

chubbs

Yep take it out get more media in, but keep it on hand for if you need to get out strong meds or tannins etc.

Wills

You don't NEED the charcoal. I use charcoal along with Seachem purigen to get my water polished until it is crystal clear. My other tank I let the tannnins from my wood stain the water tea colored and use the space in the filter for more media. Either way your fish will be happy, so it is a personal choice.

Oh and you don't need to rinse it that long. Just a few good swishes in the water will be fine. :good:

You don't NEED the charcoal. I use charcoal along with Seachem purigen to get my water polished until it is crystal clear. My other tank I let the tannnins from my wood stain the water tea colored and use the space in the filter for more media. Either way your fish will be happy, so it is a personal choice.

Oh and you don't need to rinse it that long. Just a few good swishes in the water will be fine. :good:
ok but what if its still rinsing black,wont that get into the tank water and colour it?

cheers

chubbs :good:

Most reactions

Back