German Blue Ram Fry are hungry

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What do I feed them? I figured the adults were handling birth control by eating eggs

Newly hatched brine shrimp, but that takes some set-up. Quick alternatives are ground up quality flake food (just pinch the flakes into powder with your fingers), soaked in a dish of tank water, then using a baster or similar squirt some into the shoal around the female. Depending how large the fry are, frozen daphnia also squirted into the shoal.

Last edited:
did the crumbled fish food a tiny bit dissolved in water, mom helped with slightly larger dissolved but i think she ate some babies. Hard boiled an egg, and dissolved very finely a small piece of the boiled yolk and shot a little in with a syringe. (angel fry trick)
I suspect my egg eaters are greatly reducing the number of fry based on the pic I took before I had to leave for a couple of hours and when I got back. It's a learning curve. Thank you @Byron

I'm not sure how many will be left in the morning. Neither parent looks very trustworthy. Good night and thank you

I think 10 babies left. But at least they didn't eat the eggs this time. And I am not quite ready for a brood tank to raise them up in, still reassembling house after foundation repairs

Attachments

• 20230308_133039.jpg
    20230308_133039.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 22
ΒΒS doesn't always work, my fry are often too small t eat it at the first week. Infusoria and Vinegar Eels are what I'd recommend for the first week or two. By then they should be able to master BBS. You probably won't be able to have those ready soon enough, but there's always a second time.

Forgot to say that my fry won't take any non-live food for the first month...

Your best bet with ram fry is live bbs. You can get a hatchery for about $20 and do it that way - I have a favorite one that I can share a link to if interested.

What is nice about BBS is that the stomach of the fry changes color due to them, so you can ensure that they are getting a good feed. Also, they "bob" around the water a lot, traveling towards the light so they stay in the water column when the fry are ready to eat more.

Does Infusoria grow on Oak leaves?

Yes, on any organic substance but leaves are especially good as they provide loads of nutrients as they break down. You've reminded me, I should have mentioned this previously...put dried leaves (like oak) in any tank with fry, it speeds up their growth considerably. Infusoria is the first food for any fish and grazing fish too.

How about dried lotus blooms @Byron ? I have a couple more of those, I put a couple in cory tanks and I have a couple more. I noticed my small BN plecos like the lotus to graze on.

Last edited:
How about dried lotus blooms @Byron ? I have a couple more of those, I put a couple in cory tanks and I have a couple more. I noticed my small BN plecos like the lotus to graze on.

I myself would never put any flowering item (other than aquatic plants that may flower naturally) because I've no idea as to the toxicity of the flowers. Others may know more about these.

Lotus are aquatic and the blooms are the dried seed pods from the lotus plant with roomy natural caves where the seeds were. I saw one in someone else's tank and have tried in my corydoras, I just don't know for sure if they grow infusoria

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back