Geophagus... yes or no

Sand has to be able to enter the Geos mouth and go out through its gills. It's a key consideration for whether keeping Geos in the tank is a good idea. If yours can do that, you're good.

I'm going to be a ball of dream destruction here. I have kept red heads longterm, in the past. 3 rapidly became too large for my 75. My personal formula which I don't want to impose on, you, but that's based on experience says a Geophagine needs a front glass 8 to 10 times longer than its total size as an adult, and 30 gallons of water if no other fish are present. You can go as low as 25, but expect 40% weekly water changes or constant battles with hole in the head.

Early on, I had some Satanoperca with an undergravel. I had a bit of trouble with them exposing the plate, and I regret the gravel size. It didn't harm them, and they actually bred. But later, when I kept the same species over play/beach sand, they were so much more fun to watch. Eartheaters at work are a show.

I get the appeal. I look at my 2 75s and my 120 I still have from the Geo days, and I am sometimes tempted. I have soft water from the tap, unmetered, and I have time as a retired guy. But Geos are as delicate as Discus with larger bodies.

I didn't keep mine with Corys for long. I had Red Heads with C. arcuatus, but the Corys hid all the time and were moved. They never seemed to need dithers or any tankmates, and keeping the bioload down was my key consideration.

These are my approaches, and 95% of aquarists ignore these ideas completely. I'll put them out there because dead Geos are a sad sight, and the fish are demanding. If my 55 hadn't broken in my move, I would have Geophagines in it - but Apistogramma would be the family member I'd choose, most likely. Mini eartheaters.

I had a Geo, back when I was into tanks before, & everything was under gravel... he seemed to do fine munching on traditional for the time gravel, although he would spit it out after chewing on it a little then grab another mouthful,,, did not pass it through the gills... of course back then everything was plastic plants, & under gravel filters... I had mine for several years... not sure which one, he was lighter colored with blue stripes, and 6-7 inches long

@Wills I don't personally think I would use that fine a sand in an aquarium, even without the under gravel ( I have several I pulled the under gravel filters out, when I restarted them ) but my personal opinion, is the under gravel tanks are much more stable... I don't like the "dead" area with no water flow, at the bottom of the tank...

... perhaps with a shallow layer of that sand & a few geo's that would fully work the sand... I think having a layer at the bottom of the tank with no water moving through it, is actually just asking for issues in a confined space for a long period of time... thinking when mature tanks go bad...

BTW... I love the fish you posted in your 1st post. I'll need to do some more digging on those... Thanks

Last edited:
@Wills I don't personally think I would use that fine a sand in an aquarium, even without the under gravel ( I have several I pulled the under gravel filters out, when I restarted them ) but my personal opinion, is the under gravel tanks are much more stable... I don't like the "dead" area with no water flow, at the bottom of the tank...

... perhaps with a shallow layer of that sand & a few geo's that would fully work the sand... I think having a layer at the bottom of the tank with no water moving through is actually just asking for issues in a confined space for a long period of time... thinking when mature tanks go bad...

BTW... I love the fish you posted in your 1st post. I'll need to do some more digging on those... Thanks
The good thing about Geos is that no part of sand would stay still for that long, they are constantly sifiting it through their mouths so the chance of the issue you are worried about is managed by them - ideally with an external canister filter and its as simple as that. Same for the Cupids, I wouldnt put them on gravel for the same reason as the Geos - they dig as much but are just smaller fish overall.

Cupids, Apistos, Satanoperca, Acarythys are basically Geophagus. The relationships are very close.

Most reactions

Back