Geophagus growth rate

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Looking at Geophagus Sveni, but reading they can take years to start putting on some size. My store can only source them at 5cm. Is there any other type of Geophagus that is likely to grow a bit faster?

Looking at Geophagus Sveni, but reading they can take years to start putting on some size. My store can only source them at 5cm. Is there any other type of Geophagus that is likely to grow a bit faster?

They are all slow growing 2-3 years old before you really notice any size with them. But well worth the wait and dedication. They will grow faster on higher protein diets and weekly large water changes, also if you avoid over crowding them.

Brasiliensis types might grow a bit faster but quite different fish really.

Wills

they should be full grown (or close to it) in 1 year. if they aren't 10 inches after a year, their tank is too small, they aren't getting enough food, they aren't getting enough water changes, temperature is too cold.

Hi Colin, that sounds promising, reading so much conflicting information! Some saying they will still only be a few inches even after a year or two 😒

Failing this…any recommendations for medium sized fish for a 105 gallon planted tank. Tank will be majority of anubias and Java fern, but a wall of Valliseneria behind a wall of rocks at the back of the tank.

-Discus are a no because I want denison barbs.
-Angels I’ve kept a lot of in the past.
-Electric blue Acara, so much conflicting information about how well they do with plants.

Growth rates have no rules. It would depend on temperature,water quality and diet,all of which you can control. They grow pretty fast. I can't be exact, but winemilleri would be large with 18 months. They grow til they die, so they won't be full grown by then, but it'll do.
Other similar fish?
A 105 gallon isn't a large tank for fish like that. Geos are very social creatures that like to live in groups. Try Guianacara - they are cool.

Hi Colin, that sounds promising, reading so much conflicting information! Some saying they will still only be a few inches even after a year or two 😒
As a general rule, fish that grow to 12 inches or less, can get there in 1 year and are able to breed at around half that size. This is because most smaller species of fish can breed when 1 year old. This is so they can breed during the following wet season.

Good news! So the tank is a 5ft 405 litre so I believe 107 US gallons. These are the fish I am now open to.

Angelfish
Electric Blue Acara
Geophagus
Congo Tetra
Denison Barbs

As said the tank will be heavily planted, but all stem plants at the bank of the tank behind a wall of hardscape, so hopefully inaccessible to any digging. The rest will be things like Java fern, anubias etc.

How would people go about stocking based on this information.

I was thinking….

-A pair of Angelfish (easy to get from stores)
-A group of juvenile EBA (later split to leave one pair)
-A group of Geophagus Sveni maybe 5?
-8 Congo tetras OR Denison barbs

My Winemilleri took about 18 months - 2 years to get to 8 inches and then filled out in girth and height over the next year. I know quite a few people that kept Geos (Altifrons, Megasema, Discroszter and others) and most would agree with me 2-3 years to get full size but certainly a substantial fish within a year.

Wills

I found a website that lets you design the tank. As you can see, the stem plants will be lodged behind hardscape. Then some other plants glued between rocks. Would this be suitable for any cichlids? I’m thinking 6-10inches. No Africans. Open to anything

Attachments

• 9E1B53CA-E176-46B6-A613-41169ADFF5A4.jpeg
    9E1B53CA-E176-46B6-A613-41169ADFF5A4.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 17
How about Royal Acaras?

Good news! So the tank is a 5ft 405 litre so I believe 107 US gallons. These are the fish I am now open to.

Angelfish
Electric Blue Acara
Geophagus
Congo Tetra
Denison Barbs

As said the tank will be heavily planted, but all stem plants at the bank of the tank behind a wall of hardscape, so hopefully inaccessible to any digging. The rest will be things like Java fern, anubias etc.

How would people go about stocking based on this information.

I was thinking….

-A pair of Angelfish (easy to get from stores)
-A group of juvenile EBA (later split to leave one pair)
-A group of Geophagus Sveni maybe 5?
-8 Congo tetras OR Denison barbs
Too many cichlids. either acaras or geophagus but not both.

geohagus will dig, thats what they do. if you dont want them digging, dont get them. they should have sand or fine gravel so they can dig

Aren’t royal Acaras even smaller than EBA?
Aequidens Diadema, about 8 inches - can be a bit feisty but beautiful fish.

Most reactions

Back