Geophagus and sand sifting

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to stock a 125 gallon, it’s going to be planted but mainly anubias and Java fern etc. Hopefully the geos won’t bother these too much. I would like some vallisneria and am wandering which type of Geophagus is less likely to be digging and sand sifting so much. Not only do I not want the plants disturbed, but I don’t like the look of the sand when cichlids go crazy and disturb it and spit it out everywhere.

It was just a question... I’ve read that some Geophagus are more prolific than others when it comes to sand sifting 24/7. If that’s not the case then I will reconsider. This page is to help others learn, not give out sarcastic garbage. Thanks for a useless comment 🤙

Let's keep the conversation here civil and polite, please.

All Geos will dig into the sand but they dont move it around in the same way as some more prolific diggers like Oscars or Convicts that heap sand up for nests and territories. As it come out of their gills it sort of spreads out and they move it so often that any pits dont stay there for long but you wont maintain a flat beach of sand.

In terms of planting I had plants in with my groups (I've had Altifrons, Winemilleri, Tapajos and Cupids over the years) I always planted around hardscape so things like crypts and valis will be absolutely fine some stems and swords also. Smaller foreground or carpeting plants wont work though as they will likely uproot them.

125 gallons give you a good range of options of species but I'd encourage you not to go for the biggest, you'd be better going for some of the smaller species and having a larger group of these gregarious cichlids.

Wills

It was just a question... I’ve read that some Geophagus are more prolific than others when it comes to sand sifting 24/7. If that’s not the case then I will reconsider. This page is to help others learn, not give out sarcastic garbage. Thanks for a useless comment 🤙

Sorry you found it sarcastic, it was supposed to be helpful. If it’s useless to you I’ll delete it and stay away. No problem.

You can get mats for under the sand/substrate to match it, and then you wouldn’t have exposed bare glass from their digging or risk of hardscape hitting the glass with their shenanigans.

Thanks for the helpful answers guys. There seems to be 3 popular Geophagus. The Tapajos, the Sveni and the Altifron. What exactly are the main differences between these? Such as size, aggression, ideal group sizes, community compatible etc.

Thanks for the helpful answers guys. There seems to be 3 popular Geophagus. The Tapajos, the Sveni and the Altifron. What exactly are the main differences between these? Such as size, aggression, ideal group sizes, community compatible etc.

They all look different so make sure you work out which you like most. Tapajos is the most unique of the three with the red heads and striped tails and are the smallest of the three, Sveni get blue and red stripes down the body and a bit bigger than the and Altifrons is the classic Geophagus with metallic beige body and some spangling through body fins and face but is also one of the biggest species.

For your 125 I'd look at going for a group of 5-6 fish and get either the Sveni or the Tapajos - I'd probably go Sveni as Tapajos don't always look like they do in the photos in person and sometimes are only super red in breeding dress where as Sveni look really good in person and the females look as good as the females.

I'd keep them in a South American community but no super small fish, Silver Hatchets, a mid sized disk Tetra like Flame or Lemon - the new Blueberries look great too - as schooling fish. Hemiodus are a nice bigger schooling tetra too that dont get too big. Maybe some small/mid sized catfish like Emerald Brochis or Flagtail Catfish. Some Whiptail Catfish would be great too like some Red Lizards but quite a few other good options in here too.

Wills

Hi Wills,

Great information thanks! They both look gorgeous to me, I read the Svenis are a little bit smaller so maybe a better option. I will see what the suppliers can source.

Stocking wise I was thinking Congo tetras, denison barbs and maybe some Columbian tetras? What do you think?

Hi Wills,

Great information thanks! They both look gorgeous to me, I read the Svenis are a little bit smaller so maybe a better option. I will see what the suppliers can source.

Stocking wise I was thinking Congo tetras, denison barbs and maybe some Columbian tetras? What do you think?
I'd pick 2 of those as I think good schooling numbers of all three would be too much I'd be tempted by the Columbians and the Congos personally but its down to you.

A 125g tank would be, what, five feet in length? Or six? This impacts the shoaling fish mentioned.

Denison Barbs (Sahyadria denisonii) attains six inches/15cm and requires a group of minimum eight but more would be better for the fish. Reports of aggressive problems seem always due to insufficient numbers. This fish is benthopelagic, meaning it swims very close to the substrate where it feeds on benthos (organisms living in, on or close to the substrate) and zooplankton. So it is right in the space of the cichlids. May not be the best plan.

Columbian Tetras (Hyphessobrycon columbianus) is peaceful, though some report it may nip fins. A group of 10+ may lessen this tendency; a shoaling fish, it needs to be in a group. It should not be kept with sedate species such as angels, discus or gourami due to its boisterous activity and aggressive feeding habits [see comments under Diet] but only with similarly non-aggressive characins, rasbora, small barbs, danio, catfish and loaches. A good dither fish for dwarf cichlids.

Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus) occupy mid and upper levels if provided with good floating plants to lessen the light. A group of at least 10-12, more if the tank is 6 feet, to keep them satisfied.

They all look different so make sure you work out which you like most. Tapajos is the most unique of the three with the red heads and striped tails and are the smallest of the three, Sveni get blue and red stripes down the body and a bit bigger than the and Altifrons is the classic Geophagus with metallic beige body and some spangling through body fins and face but is also one of the biggest species.

For your 125 I'd look at going for a group of 5-6 fish and get either the Sveni or the Tapajos - I'd probably go Sveni as Tapajos don't always look like they do in the photos in person and sometimes are only super red in breeding dress where as Sveni look really good in person and the females look as good as the females.

I'd keep them in a South American community but no super small fish, Silver Hatchets, a mid sized disk Tetra like Flame or Lemon - the new Blueberries look great too - as schooling fish. Hemiodus are a nice bigger schooling tetra too that dont get too big. Maybe some small/mid sized catfish like Emerald Brochis or Flagtail Catfish. Some Whiptail Catfish would be great too like some Red Lizards but quite a few other good options in here too.

Wills
Do you have any experience with mirabllis, neambi or Biotodoma wavrini?

Do you have any experience with mirabllis, neambi or Biotodoma wavrini?

Mirabillis and Neambi are quite new to the hobby so not kept them - I've kept Biotodoma Cupido Santarem though, great little dwarf cichlid :)

Mirabillis and Neambi are quite new to the hobby so not kept them - I've kept Biotodoma Cupido Santarem though, great little dwarf cichlid :)
thanks. this website needs a thanks option for the 'like' button ;)

I am still learning about all the cichlid and the ones you are looking to get are gorgeous!!! If they do move around the sand a lot one of those aquarium tools would be worth investing in. It comes in a kit for plants and it help smooth out the sand if it gets bad. It would be a lot of work for how big your tank is but you wouldn’t have to do it often I wouldn’t think but I’m not sure. It’s called a sand spatula and this is just a picture of a kit off of Amazon it comes with a few other tools too. Not sure if you already have one but thought it might help, you might be able to find a longer one for your bigger tank too!

Attachments

• A516663C-74F8-4C19-96CB-A44E1288A2A9.png
    A516663C-74F8-4C19-96CB-A44E1288A2A9.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 18

Most reactions

Back