General and carbon hardness

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have just taken general and carbon hardness readings

My carbon hardness was at 89.5 ppm
My General hardness was at 196.9 ppm

Is this okay for the fish listed in my signature. If not, what corrective measures should I take

Kryten

Dare I ask what brand test you use. Or maybe the difference is that you are in the UK??? I have a test for GH and KH and it does not give you the "ppm". I know there is a formula to change my test numbers into ones like yours. Anyone Know?????

As of now my Kh=9-10 and GH=4. Does anyone know the formula to change them like Krytens????

As far as I understand the only thing Kh and Gh has anything to do with is the PH and its stability. If these numbers are off then you have the possibility of problems with Ph stability but not with the fish in a sense. Someone maybe able to clear this up in more generic terms.

I see what you mea

That equates in my tank to KH = 5, GH = 11

Sorry, wasn't sure how anyone else read the results

Kryten / Fishme2death,

This is a piece I wrote for some-one else with questions about GH / KH etc. It's a bit basic but pick the bones for what you need.........

"Before explaining KH + GH it is probably best to understand that there is a third property that makes up the water chemistry triangle in a freshwater tank, this third property is pH. All three of these properties have an effect on our water chemistry.

pH is used to denote whether the water is acidic (pH reading below 7), neutral (pH reading of 7) or alkaline (pH reading of above 7). pH is fundamental in providing a good environment for our fish to live, all species have a pH range that they will be happiest in, therefore the more constant & stable we can keep the pH the happier our fish will be.

For the beginner is is probably easier to match our chosen species to the pH we have as opposed to trying to adjust pH to suit a specific species.

KH refers to the ability of our water to resist change in pH. This ability to resist change is known as carbonate hardness or more commonly buffering. Therefore when a KH reading is taken, the higher the KH reading the stronger the ability to resist changes / fluctuations in pH. A strong buffering capacity is beneficial if you have the pH that you require to keep the species of fish you are interested, however if your are trying to alter your pH for any reason a high KH reading is going to make it more difficult to effect this change.

Finally GH or General Hardiness, when water is referred to as hard or soft GH is the property being referred to. Water hardness is measured on two scales either DH (degree's hardness) or the chemical compound measured (CaCO3) in ppm (parts per million), both of these measurements can be used although most test kits will utilise the ppm measurement system. The two systems equate as:

0 - 4 dH or 0 - 70 ppm = very soft water
4 - 8 dH or 70 - 140 ppm = soft water
8 - 12 dH or 140 - 210 ppm = medium hard water
12 - 18 dH or 210 - 320 ppm = fairly hard water
18 - 30 dH or 320 - 530 ppm = hard water

As mentioned at the beginning all three of these properties are distinct, however it is important to realise that pH, KH & GH all interact, therefore any alteration to one will have an impact on the other two. Having said that with careful monitoring and control it is possible to make adjustments to these properties without having to rely on shop brought chemical additives such as pH Down.

For example to adjust the hardness of your water (GH) there natural additives that can be used:

Decrease GH (soften water) - Pure (100% organic) peat moss (no ferts or additives) or R/O water.
Increase GH (harden water) - Marble chips, coral, sea shells.

For all of the above (with the exception of RO water, which will be added a apart of water changes) the preferred method is to add a small amount the required medium to a small mesh bag & then place this bag in the filter box / cartridge. When using these for the first time it is advisable to add small amounts over a period of time whilst constantly monitoring all properties (don't forget adjustment to one of the properties will effect the other, in this case KH and then as a consequence possibly pH) until the desired level of GH is achieved."

Playing with the water chemistry is risky and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are experinced or it is really neccesary,

Hope that helps a bit...... :D

Increase GH (harden water) - Marble chips, coral, sea shells.

This is not working. CaCO3 is almost insoluble water especially if the water is neutral or basic.

If you want to increase GH, put some gypsum (CaSO4 * x H2O) into water.

And if you want to increase KH, use baking soda (NaHCO3 = sodiumbicarbonate). Soda, Na2CO3 isn't same thing! (pH is raising too!)

Thanks for the list:

0 - 4 dH or 0 - 70 ppm = very soft water
4 - 8 dH or 70 - 140 ppm = soft water
8 - 12 dH or 140 - 210 ppm = medium hard water
12 - 18 dH or 210 - 320 ppm = fairly hard water
18 - 30 dH or 320 - 530 ppm = hard water

I always forget those ppm...

Most reactions

Back