GBR sitting at bottom

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, one of my German blue rams ( the female) who I recently bought a week ago from the pet store seems to be struggling at the bottom. Added to an established tank and the male GBR has been doing fine, along with all the other fish in the tank. All nitrates etc etc completely normal and did a 80% water change just to be sure.

Anyone have any idea what it could be, and any idea what I could do to help the issue? Is it likely to have came from the fish tank with an issue? I don’t have a quarantine tank so that unfortunately isn’t an option

Attachments

• 40D6AF1F-1E5D-4AA1-AEE6-627EC9F9A32B.jpeg
    40D6AF1F-1E5D-4AA1-AEE6-627EC9F9A32B.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 24D48960-19A6-433E-80AD-3B435445D096.jpeg
    24D48960-19A6-433E-80AD-3B435445D096.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 35
I noticed that you didn't mention the Ammonia and Nitrite in your tank. Ammonia and Nitrite are more dangerous than Nitrate.
Did you check the Ammonia and Nitrite level?

In my country, the GBR are prone to be infected either with flukes(gill or skin flukes) and internal worms or protozoa. I guess it's the fault of the fish farms or fish stores.

For flukes, observe the fish for any fast breathing and frequent scratching.
Fast breathing usually occur at the last stage where the fish is at terminal condition.
Flukes can be treated by Praziquantel though some resistant strains may need Malachite Green(Seachem Paraguard) or Flubendazole(Wormer Plus).

For internal worms, look for sunken belly and white poop.
Praziquantel or Flubendazole can also be used to treat internal worms.

Another issue is, what is your tap water GH and pH?
GBR prefer low GH(soft water - about GH 1 to 10) and lower pH.
You can check your tap water website for any reports about the water GH(General hardness) and pH.

Lastly, GBR prefer warmer water like 27/28C.

Last edited:
A third possible issue is that the male who was already in the tank doesn't like her and wants her out of the tank. Even if he's not physically attacking her, if he wants her gone he'll be secreting aggression pheromones which will stress her.
Rams need to choose their own mates. Any random male and random female may not get on with each other.

I would tend to think along the lines of @Essjay here, before using "medications." Anything added to the water will affect all the fish somewhat, so it is safer to make certain it is "x" before considering medications. And given the species, and the dark appearance of the female (most likely due to severe stress), it may be the male causing this. Very careful observation of how they interact should clue you in to the issue. Sit in front of the tank without moving for 30 minutes; the fish will tend to forget you are there and their interactive behaviours should be more apparent. If they tolerate each other being close together without any pushing, shoving, head butting, nipping, etc, this is normal, but if the male shows signs of displeasure when she is near him, that is likely the issue.

On a general note, when you do water tests always give the numbers. Saying the nitrates etc are "normal" doesn't tell us anything, as we have no idea what you may consider "normal." The GH and pH and temperature [these are the parameters] are important for us to know, along with any water condition tests like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

A third possible issue is that the male who was already in the tank doesn't like her and wants her out of the tank. Even if he's not physically attacking her, if he wants her gone he'll be secreting aggression pheromones which will stress her.
Rams need to choose their own mates. Any random male and random female may not get on with each other.
Think you were bang on- observed for 30 minutes as suggested below and as the male charged towards the female it clearly stressed her and worsened the issue. Going to return male tommorow to the LFS. Would you guys recommend keeping the female by herself or would it do better with another female?

I would tend to think along the lines of @Essjay here, before using "medications." Anything added to the water will affect all the fish somewhat, so it is safer to make certain it is "x" before considering medications. And given the species, and the dark appearance of the female (most likely due to severe stress), it may be the male causing this. Very careful observation of how they interact should clue you in to the issue. Sit in front of the tank without moving for 30 minutes; the fish will tend to forget you are there and their interactive behaviours should be more apparent. If they tolerate each other being close together without any pushing, shoving, head butting, nipping, etc, this is normal, but if the male shows signs of displeasure when she is near him, that is likely the issue.

On a general note, when you do water tests always give the numbers. Saying the nitrates etc are "normal" doesn't tell us anything, as we have no idea what you may consider "normal." The GH and pH and temperature [these are the parameters] are important for us to know, along with any water condition tests like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
Noted about conditions- thanks so much for the tip I think it helped me solve the issue

Why not return the female and keep the male, since you've had him longer? He should be fine with other fish species, and the male is the brighter coloured so a nice addition to an aquarium. He will be OK on his own. Two fish of this species donot always get along, so two feemales might have issues too, it is impossible to say until they are together, but I would not risk it.

Why not return the female and keep the male, since you've had him longer? He should be fine with other fish species, and the male is the brighter coloured so a nice addition to an aquarium. He will be OK on his own. Two fish of this species donot always get along, so two feemales might have issues too, it is impossible to say until they are together, but I would not risk it.
The female is the one I’ve had longer! And k think the colours, when wasn’t stressed, we’re the most amazing I’ve seen from a female GBR. Plus I’ve grown a connection with it since getting bullied even more so didn’t feel right returning it!

You said the female was bought a week ago, how long have you had the male? The wording in the first post led us to believe the male was already there when you bought the female.
If you are happy to have one female ram, then return the male.

Most reactions

Back