Gasping Tiger Barb

lee337

Reaction score
Can anyone help please ? :sad:

I have had my fish tank set up for about 7 weeks now and have brought x 5 Green Tiger Barbs one week and 5 cherry barbs the next week which I have had the fish shop to check the water each week which has been fine. The following week I had the water checked I had Nitrite in the water so I went home and did a water cycle change.

The next day I noticed x1 cherry barb had died. Then I noticed that the fish had what looked like white spot which mainly seemed to be on the Tiger Barbs and they were also swimming to the top of the tank, gasping for air, rolling onto their backs and swimming off again but it was late at night so I was unable to get any anti white spot chemical. Next day I lost x2 Tiger Barbs before I had got to the shops to buy the chemicals. Since adding the Anti White spot I lost another x2 Tiger Barbs leaving 1 :angry:

Today I had the water checked again and it was ok :nod: but my Tiger barb still seems to be going to the surface as if he was gasping for air I hope he's going to be alright. Has anyone any ideas? THANKS

I will be adding him some friends hopefully if alls well as he looks lonely on his own

How many gallons is the tank.

Immediate water change and just add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
Increase aeration.

Buy some liquid test kits in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, to keep an eye on your water stats.

How many gallons is the tank.

Immediate water change and just add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
Increase aeration.

Buy some liquid test kits in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, to keep an eye on your water stats.

The tanks holds 71 lts not sure what that is in gallons and I have changed the water again today and re added med and he is still going up to the surface :(

You need to increase aeration as med and hot weather reduce 02 in the water.
If you don't have an airstone lower tank water level so the filter hits the water harder to create more aeration in the tank.

You need to increase aeration as med and hot weather reduce 02 in the water.
If you don't have an airstone lower tank water level so the filter hits the water harder to create more aeration in the tank.

I have 2 air stones both ends of the tank and water level is a bit lower than usual but he still seems to be doing it but thaks for your suggestions :good:

The damage might have aleady been done with bad water quality and whitespot
Good Luck.

im very sorry to hear that!!

i have 6 tiger barbs, 3 green.

they used to float nose down but never wen up for air... im so sorry to hear that your barbs died

i hope your barb does better :sad: i know what its like to have ill fish lol especially barbs

keep the air running in the tank, and use the meds properly, follow the instructions onn the bottle.. whats your pH?

Thanks for all comments not sure what the PH is as I haven't got a test kit yet but will be getting one soon :D

Most reactions

Back