Gardeners World - Update Pg 5

[/quote]

Soil as i understand it means a very mature clay-containing loam... garden topsoil would be fine and seems to be what diana walstead reccomends. Things to avoid are those will too much 'fresh' organic matter which will rot too quickly and starve the susbrate of oxygen.

[/quote]

Thanks Jamie. I'm going to try an experiment as I couldn't get my hands on any Tropica Aquagrow today. I picked up some standard aquatic compost, very loamy and sticky. I'll set up my old Rekord 75 tonight with a few stem plants and see how it goes.

I can't wait to see yours when it's done. That's a fine shopping list. keep us updated...

the floropol and laterite arrived...

Note: Norwich Evening News carrier bag = not an essential piece of planted aquarium equipment
imag0001-3.jpg

i decided to mix them with a VERY small about of compost... the idea being that the compost will contain enough organics to release the minerals... without going too acid and leeching too much iron... which from reading posts on APC seems to be what diana experienced when she mixed laterite with a lot of soil.

so... i got about 4 or 5 large handfuls of compost and passed it through a chinois (sp?) to remove all but the finest of the compost - large bits of bark and twig are a no-no. I then mixed this with the laterite and florapol.

I found the florapol to be much more like clay - laterite doesn't contain a lot of minerals other than iron. the Florapol - i'd wager - has a much more balanced mineral profile. had i known this beforehand, i'd probably have bought more florapol and not bothered with the laterite at all.

anyway, the florapol was slightly damp and had some quite big lumps, so i decided to mix the lot together by hand and work out the bigger bits

The final result being:

IMAG0003-2.jpg

so... another bit of prep done. Saturday can't come soon enough.

I went to Pets at Home tonight.

They had just taken delivery of tropica plants and their cascade was RAMMED with really decent plants. Anyway, i couldn't resist their 3 for £5 on smaller plants and 3 for £9 on premium tropica plants.

i got a load of valis and crypts, and some 'standard' and osiris swords, some crypt becketti, java windelov... i had three lots of 3 for £5, and 2 lots of 3 for £9...

the girl in the fish area bagged them all and put them in carrier bags. then gave me a ticket for the till.

when i got to the till i handed over the ticket and the girl rang up... £14!!!!! i didn't register what she'd done till i left... and then i realised i'd only been charged for 1 lot of each. i did consider going back, but was halfway home so thought sod it. it's not my fault she didn't read the ticket.

anyway. i now have two buckets of plants in my kitchen... this is turning into a slight obession

hopefully the plants will be ok until saturday morning???

Hi, do you buy fish from Pets @ Home? Everytime I go there, they have loads of dead in their tanks....

Can you help on some of the things you are doing, as I said in a previous post, I'm buying a Vision 180 and want to plant it out.

Hagen Glomat Double Starter Unit 40w (What does this do)
2 Interpet Daylight Plus 42 inch 38w (Whats the benefit of these?)
2 Arcadia Plastic Spring Clips T8 (What are these things?)
1 Arcadia Nylon Plastic Fasteners 4mm (and these?)
Rena Renacor Heat Cable 25w (what is this for?)
TetraPlant Complete Substrate 2.8kg (I presume this will sit under the laterite?)
Also got a large box of laterite and 2 packs of JBL Floropol on the way from Aquaessentials (What benefits does laterite have and what is Floropol?)

Sorry for all the questions.... :good:

Hagen Glomat Double Starter Unit 40w (What does this doThis is a unit which will run a light tube or in this case 2 tubes. i.e. you already have 1 in your tank for the tubes you have. This is and additional one to add more tubes

2 Interpet Daylight Plus 42 inch 38w (Whats the benefit of these?)??? That they produce light (they are the additional tubes)

2 Arcadia Plastic Spring Clips T8 (What are these things?)These are the clips that will be attached to the hood so the tubes dont fall into the water

Rena Renacor Heat Cable 25w (what is this for?)I guess this is for undergravel heating (some people say they are great others say pointless. personal preference I suppose

TetraPlant Complete Substrate 2.8kg (I presume this will sit under the laterite?)This is a nutrient rich substrate that you can use under whatever your 'visual' substrate is i.e. under the gravel or sand. The plants roots will take nutrients from this over time, whereas with an inert substrate like plain gravel, you have to use lots of root tabs

OK....

Hagen Glomat Double Starter Unit 40w (What does this do)

This is a unit which starts 2 light tubes from 1 starter box. it is also electronic and doesn;t use a white 'choke' which means it uses less energy and is supposedly better for the tubes.

2 Interpet Daylight Plus 42 inch 38w (Whats the benefit of these?)

They are just extra light - with a broad spectrum.

2 Arcadia Plastic Spring Clips T8 (What are these things?)

They are for holding light tubes

1 Arcadia Nylon Plastic Fasteners 4mm (and these?)

They hold the plastic spring clips to the inside of your hood.

Rena Renacor Heat Cable 25w (what is this for?)

This is used to warm the substrate and make little nutrient 'streams' from the heat causing currents in the substrate. However... on the advice given in this thread, i'm not ususing it and have cancelled the order.

TetraPlant Complete Substrate 2.8kg (I presume this will sit under the laterite?)

This contains humic material which is of benefit to the plants.

Also got a large box of laterite and 2 packs of JBL Floropol on the way from Aquaessentials (What benefits does laterite have and what is Floropol?)

laterite is a type of hard caly which is rich in IRON. Plants need this. However, laterite has few other minerals - which plants also need. Floropol is a branded form of a different type of clay - this has a much broader range of nutrients.

By combining an iron rich substrate with a nutrient source from humic materials and clay - i hope to have covered all basis. It's probably overkill to do this though. Plenty of people use just laterite or tetra complete.

Hope this helps!

:good:

Thanks for the in-depth replies, I know some of them seem a bit newbie (well they are :good: ).

Was interested in the lighting as the Juwel Vision only come with 2 tubes and although I have not worked out the WPG, I believe I will need 4 tubes (but did not know what spectrum tubes)

Hey and guess what, don't know much about planted substrate :shout:

Thanks for your help here, its answered several questions for me!!

Thanks for the in-depth replies, I know some of them seem a bit newbie (well they are :good: ).

Was interested in the lighting as the Juwel Vision only come with 2 tubes and although I have not worked out the WPG, I believe I will need 4 tubes (but did not know what spectrum tubes)

Hey and guess what, don't know much about planted substrate :shout:

Thanks for your help here, its answered several questions for me!!

i general, tubes labelled full spectrum are better... wpg is only important if you want to get plants the reuire high lighting. there are plenty of tanks that do well with stock lighting. you really need to at least get reflectors - the juwel ones are really good, and not too dear.

Ok, here we go. You might want to get a cup of tea... because this is going to be a loooooo-o-o-ong post.

Apologies for the quality of the some of the following photos - my camera gave up the ghost and i had to start using my phone

Firstly then, the equipment:

For the Tank and Life-Support
4 Juwel Reflector 38w
1 Hagen Glomat Double Starter Unit 40w
2 Interpet Daylight Plus 42 inch 38w
2 Arcadia Plastic Spring Clips T8 (1 inch)
1 Arcadia Nylon Plastic Fasteners 4mm
1 Hagen Fluval 205 External Filter
1 Hagen Ribbed Hose Fluval.
1 Eheim Compact Pump 300
1 TetraPlant Complete Substrate 2.8kg
1 API laterite 1560g
2 JBL Floropol 700g

500ml Ferka Aquatiliser
500ml Ferka Balance K

For the Co2
1 Dow Corning Silicone Sealer 25gm
2 TetraTec Whisper Check Valve
1 Airline Plastic Tee Piece
2 Eheim Compact Pump 300
1 Algarde Airline Plastic Elbow Connector
1 Interpet Mini Gravel Cleaner
2 x 2l Plastic coke bottles.

Firstly, THIS is what I want my to look like…. Eek.
http://home.infinet.net/teban/how-to.html

so… off we go...

This is the tank with just the base layer ferts:

imag0001-4.jpg

The substrate going into the tank is essentially 2 layers, but several materials make this up. The base nutrient layer has been made richer than most, but I intend to grow a majority of heavy root-feeding plants so decided to go the whole hog.
The base layer is made up of the following: 1.5kg of API Laterite, 1.5kg of JBL Floropol, 2.8kg of tetra complete, and a few of handfuls of well sieved compost.

All this is topped off with a mixture of silver sand and silica grit (1-2mm) - about 3" deep.

The life support

I made my own budget C02 'reactor' by using a small gravel cleaner with the end blocked off. A 300lph eheim compact pump pumps water into the top half, and c02 from my yeast bottles goes in at the bottom. The pump churns these bubbles into a foam. Crucially the pump isn't powerful enough to force the bubbles all the way down the reaction chamber and out of the bottom so they are forced to dissolve. It's also no coincidence that the c02 rich output of the reactor is placed by my filter inlet - this will ensure that, despite the low turnover in the tank, c02 rich water is pumped around the whole system. There is a small pin-hole just above where the water is pumped in. This hole allows the reactor to 'burp' when the pump is off at night - otherwise there's a danger that the pump might not start if c02 builds up in the reactor during the night and fills the impellor chamber with gas.

The c02 reactor:

Image007.jpg

And In position in the tank...

Image008.jpg

The filter outlet in placed 4" below the surface and points at the opposite front corner of the tank, this is to ensure the water has to move the full length of the tank before finding the filter exit. The filter is quite small, and I expect that once it's filled with media, etc, that it will output about 300-400lph - likely a bit less. While it's fashionable to pump water around tanks like mad, the once per hour turnover mentioned in last months PFK plant tank maintenance article makes a lot of sense. This will be more than enough to circulate the tank effectively and still maintain stable c02 concentrations. I've always used huge amounts of bio filtration with high turnovers in the past, so this slow and steady approach feels alien. However I do believe it'll work in my favour and leave more nutrients for the plants. The filter currently houses the stock media of carbon, biomax and foam. The carbon will be removed in a couple of days and replaced with alfagrog.

I'm really happy with the fluval filter itself... the quality is good, it's quiet, and i really like the huge foam prefilter in the canister:

imag0002-2.jpg

I filled it with biomax and alfagrog.

A second small 300lph Eheim pump has been wired up to a timer on a reverse photo period to aerate the tank at night by outputting water from a spray bar pointing downwards:

Image009.jpg

It points downwards to ensure any surface scum that has built up during the day is removed by being dragged into the flow. During the day time, the surface of the tank will be perfectly still. The timer makes the pump come on 10mins after lights out, and go off 30mins before the lights come on - the idea being that c02 levels in the tank will be rising by the time the lights and c02 come on stream.

IMAG0004-3.jpg

By the way... I can't believe more people don't rave about the Eheim compact pumps... they are so tiny (the 300lph model is smaller than the plug!), quiet and well-made that they should be everywhere. They cost less than a tenner, too. Buy one!

Lighting
I'm using 2 38w Triplus lights in the Juwel fixture and have attached two further 38w Interpet Daylight tubes to these by bolting two plastic light clips back-to-back.

Image010.jpg

All four tubes have reflectors attached and fit quite neatly into the Juwel hood.

Image011.jpg

This gives me 2.4 watts per UK gallon. I was initially going to use all Triplus, but on George Farmers recommendation, I added 2 daylight tubes instead. I'm glad I did - the colour rendition is great now the set up is full.

Thanks George!

Aquascape.

I used 'green slate' and granite bought from Homebase for the rock work. This is arranged off-centre and in a 'mountain' formation. I spent ages getting this bit to look how I wanted. I'm loathe to use the words 'amano-style' because I'll be very lucky if my tank ever gets anywhere near there. But the image I have in mind is some small tetras or pencil fish swimming in front of these like those pictures he does where the fish look like birds flocking in front of mountains. I'm not sure I've got the same sort of scale working here though. To the left is a tangle of mopani wood.

I filled the tank by VERY slowly pouring water from a bucket, into a bowl, which was standing on a plate placed flush with the sand. At this point, I added the dechlorinator to the tank and filled to about 70% full.

I laid my plants out on a damp towel and kept them wet while I planted.

I took quite a while doing this as I wanted to get it right first time.

Once the plants were in, I filled the tank to the top, added a maturing agent, and switched on.

Hmm can there be anything else to say? I'm not following a strict EI routine, yet. My local water ranges from 20 to 30pmm Nitrate, and looking on my suppliers water reports on their website phosphates are classed as 'high' - therefore I want to see how the tank performs before adding any extra nitrate. I'll be dosing Aquatiliser twice a week and Balance K twice a week.

So... wish me luck!

Here's the finished article as of 5pm today:

Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image015.jpg

there's loads of hygrophila planted behind the rocks... it just needs to grow

Hi, that looks great! Can really see how its going to look once things have grown a bit!

Would be great if you could name from left to right the plants....?

Where did you get the silver sand and silica grit, it looks great!

Saw a Norwich paper, that where you live?

Hi, that looks great! Can really see how its going to look once things have grown a bit!

Would be great if you could name from left to right the plants....?

Where did you get the silver sand and silica grit, it looks great!

Saw a Norwich paper, that where you live?

silver sand and silica grit both sold by pets at home.

the plants are:

Left to right - Vallis, crinum thaianum, java fern 'windelov' on the wood, in the gap in the wood 3 x echinodorus osiris, 2 x crypt wendtii in front of the wood, large group of unkown crypts nest to rock, hygrophila behind the rocks, 2 more unknown crypt in front of the rocks, 3 x crypt becketii, common sword, more valis and crypts in the right end corner.

to follow - a carpet of e tenellus in the foreground

Interesting stuff! You have certainly done your homework, which is to be congratulated.

Can I just ask you to consider:

You have invested your money wisely, but at 240l, have you thought about using pressurised CO2 for a stable 30ppm?

At 2.4WPG, you might want to think about considerably more substrate coverage with fast growing stems for the short term. This was the best bit of advice George gave me.

I am planning to start a Juwel 240l nature aquarium when I move, and hope to learn a lot from your exploits. Good luck.

Brilliant work. Everything seems to be going well and you are definetly on your way to having a beautiful tank.

Interesting stuff! You have certainly done your homework, which is to be congratulated.

Can I just ask you to consider:

You have invested your money wisely, but at 240l, have you thought about using pressurised CO2 for a stable 30ppm?

At 2.4WPG, you might want to think about considerably more substrate coverage with fast growing stems for the short term. This was the best bit of advice George gave me.

I am planning to start a Juwel 240l nature aquarium when I move, and hope to learn a lot from your exploits. Good luck.

The whole back area behind the rocks is planted with giant hygrophila, but the stems are only 6 inches tall so you can't see them... i'm hoping that'll go mad like it's supposed to and keep the algae in check... i might also add some elodea / egeria in the short term. depends if the hygro does well or not.

As for the c02 - i've got a permanent test kit on order - if that shows my c02 is consistently low, then i'll upgrade. errr.... but not till next month...!

Brilliant work. Everything seems to be going well and you are definetly on your way to having a beautiful tank.

Thanks a lot mate! I hope it all works out OK.

Most reactions

Back